Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you tell him he could get into 80 games? Why would you even remotely want that?

Telling a veteran acquisition what you envision his role on the team to be seems to be a respect and communications thing.  Everyone knows that nothing is written in stone.   Again, if healthy it's a given that he will start 40 games at catcher.   Could get into 80 games?   That's not exactly a promise.    

9 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

They held the press conference to console McCann after he heard his Hangout thread only got 14 pages but Ryan O'Hearn got 34.

That O’Hearn page isn’t done yet. Just wait until he clears waivers later in the week and is back in the organization. 

15 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

They held the press conference to console McCann after he heard his Hangout thread only got 14 pages but Ryan O'Hearn got 34.

He'll be happy to know that a brief zoom call is what finally got SG to start crying about it. Officially an Oriole. 

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Telling a veteran acquisition what you envision his role on the team to be seems to be a respect and communications thing.  Everyone knows that nothing is written in stone.   Again, if healthy it's a given that he will start 40 games at catcher.   Could get into 80 games?   That's not exactly a promise.    

Realistically, he’ll start between 40-54 games behind the plate if Adley is healthy.  Get into 5 or so games as a defensive sub in games that are out of hand.  Pinch hit a handful of times, maybe start a game at DH or 1B here or there.   Last year Chirinos played in 39 of 122 games after Adley joined the team, including 38 starts.   That projects out to about 52 games over a full season.  I think McCann will play more than that, but it’s highly unlikely that he plays in 80 games.  If he plays (and especially hits) better than Chirinos did, he’ll play a bit more.   If not, he’ll be on a Chirinos-like track.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Why would you tell him he could get into 80 games? Why would you even remotely want that?

As you always like to say, the difference is in tone.  I doubt the Orioles WANT him to play 80 games.  I am sure they do not want to HAVE to play him 80 games.  I think they would have said, based on his role, with performance he COULD get into 80 games.

I think most people are concerned that they PLAN for him to play about 80 games.  I don't think that is the plan.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

80 games shouldn’t even be a thought..hell, 50 games shouldn’t.

11 minutes ago, foxfield said:

As you always like to say, the difference is in tone.  I doubt the Orioles WANT him to play 80 games.  I am sure they do not want to HAVE to play him 80 games.  I think they would have said, based on his role, with performance he COULD get into 80 games.

I think most people are concerned that they PLAN for him to play about 80 games.  I don't think that is the plan.

There is no reason to mention it.

He had no say in the trade. You brought him in to the back up C. That’s it. No reason to mention first and DH unless it’s your intention to do it.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no reason to mention it.

He had no say in the trade. You brought him in to the back up C. That’s it. No reason to mention first and DH unless it’s your intention to do it.

We realize that you have no people skills.   Apparently, Elias does.

• Downvote 1