Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

18 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no reason to mention it.

He had no say in the trade. You brought him in to the back up C. That’s it. No reason to mention first and DH unless it’s your intention to do it.

We have no idea what the conversation was.   I’d absolutely want McCann prepared to play 1B, even if he never plays a game there.   

I think we'll see occasional 1B McCann, DH Mountcastle lineups to give Ryan partial rest days.    I believe Sig's orgs are keen on rest, so even though I am rooting for Gunnar/Mountcastle to get Ripken/Murray type run, I don't think it'll happen.   I'll have a little fist pump as they make Consecutive Games Played 10, 20, 30 if they can.

Some career OPS's v. LHP:

McCann 777, Mullins 646, Gunnar 448, Frazier 660, Adley 552

He's arguably in our Top 9 bats period against lefties.     I hope Gunnar takes our first PA of the season against Chris Sale, but McCann might hold his own as a bother to him that day.     Opening Day leadoff McCann would ignite Game Thread #1 though...

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We have no idea what the conversation was.   I’d absolutely want McCann prepared to play 1B, even if he never plays a game there.   

There is a difference between him preparing to play there (ie taking reps in ST, IF practice, etc..) and them planning for him to be there. Very distinctive difference there.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is a difference between him preparing to play there (ie taking reps in ST, IF practice, etc..) and them planning for him to be there. Very distinctive difference there.

The quote was that McCann and Rutschman “could” see time at 1B.   Most people would see that as a possibility rather than a plan.   

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t ask you, nor do I care about your opinion on it.

You should have assumed I might answer.  Even if you didn’t know my answer you shouldn’t have asked it because it was possible I was going to answer it.  You should be able to look into the future and plan for each possible outcome.  Are you allergic to common sense?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You should have assumed I might answer.  Even if you didn’t know my answer you shouldn’t have asked it because it was possible I was going to answer it.  You should be able to look into the future and plan for each possible outcome.  Are you allergic to common sense?

I did assume it because you are a troll.

I also knew it would be a dumb response, which part of my ability to tell the future.

I was right on both.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I did assume it because you are a troll.

I also knew it would be a dumb response, which part of my ability to tell the future.

I was right on both.

You lead the league in trolls.   Interesting.

You’ve been presented with common sense yet you keep repeating that Elias had to know changes were coming but it doesn’t matter that he didn’t know exactly which changes were coming and he …….. should have guessed what they would be and acted accordingly.   That’s just dumb.

Edited by RZNJ

47 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sure, but we don’t know what they plan.  This whole discussion is based on this:

“When I talked (to the Orioles) the night of the trade, talked about both Adley and I getting time behind the plate, first base, DH,” McCann said.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/mccann

That’s not much to go on.

I look at it like this: McCann is a .777 OPS lifetime hitter vs. lefties.   Last year, though, he was pathetic against them, .324 OPS.   He’ll probably get some early opportunities against LHP and Hyde will see how he’s looking.  If he’s looking good, he’ll continue getting opportunities vs. LHP.   Sometimes that might put him at 1B or DH.   We’re not talking about a lot of games here.   10?   But I don’t think it will be fixed in stone one way or the other.   It depends on how McCann is doing and how other players are doing.   

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sure, but we don’t know what they plan.  This whole discussion is based on this:

“When I talked (to the Orioles) the night of the trade, talked about both Adley and I getting time behind the plate, first base, DH,” McCann said.

I look at it like this: McCann is a .777 OPS lifetime hitter vs. lefties.   Last year, though, he was pathetic against them, .324 OPS.   He’ll probably get some early opportunities against LHP and Hyde will see how he’s looking.  If he’s looking good, he’ll continue getting opportunities vs. LHP.   Sometimes that might put him at 1B or DH.   We’re not talking about a lot of games here.   10?   But I don’t think it will be fixed in stone one way or the other.   It depends on how McCann is doing and how other players are doing.   

Patience is a virtue.  God bless you!    

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You lead the league in trolls.   Interesting.

You’ve been presented with common sense yet you keep repeating that Elias had to know changes were coming but it doesn’t matter that he didn’t know exactly which changes were coming and he …….. should have guessed what they would be and acted accordingly.   That’s just dumb.

I'm not trying to defend holding players down for service time manipulation, but they could have easily agreed that even a September call up counts as a year against service time. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's not as if Mountcastle is bad against LHP too; career .768 OPS vs LHP.

My guess is on days McCann is not catching he gets a few DH at-bats vs LHP, or 1B starts against LHP if Mountcastle is in a slump. I think that'll put McCann at 2-3 starts/week, 60-90 games during the season.

Adley gets DH/1B starts against RHP for half of his off-days from catching. Catches 110 games, DH for 20 games, 1B for 10 games.

1 minute ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

It's not as if Mountcastle is bad against LHP too; career .768 OPS vs LHP.

My guess is on days McCann is not catching he gets a few DH at-bats vs LHP, or 1B starts against LHP if Mountcastle is in a slump. I think that'll put McCann at 2-3 starts/week, 60-90 games during the season.

Adley gets DH/1B starts against RHP for half of his off-days from catching. Catches 110 games, DH for 20 games, 1B for 10 games.

That’s what I mean when I say it partly depends how other players do.  If Mountcastle is mashing and healthy, no real reason for anyone else to play 1B.  When he’s banged up or slumping, maybe he gets a blow.