Catcher James McCann Acquired from Mets

LookinUp

16 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Gotta think some of that is a sales pitch to get him to buy in.  But 30-40 games at C, 20-30 at DH, 10-20 at 1B.  I doubt he gets to 70.

Unless there are injuries or you are just riding a hot bat, he shouldn’t be considered for anything outside of 40-45 games at C. I’m fine with him as a back up C. It’s just not a big deal To me.

My concern is that they are done with bats. If they still bring in a significant bat, that’s fine. I won’t be concerned about this.

But if this is truly their plan, that means it’s unlikely they bring in a good bat unless someone else is traded and even then, that may not happen.

Mazara, Frenchy, McCann and Frazier is a garbage group of bats.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It doesn’t add up at all. It’s stupid. 

There should be no plan, entering the season, that has him doing anything but catch. I have no issues with him as the back up C but not for 50 starts and certainly not playing elsewhere.

Now, if he bounces back and is hitting well and you steal some at bats for him at DH, that’s fine. But if you are planning on that, that means you aren’t likely signing another bat.

Everything is stupid to you if it’s not your idea. 

When you hear Frazier is playing everyday that doesn’t mean he is playing in 155 games. McCann isn’t starting 80 games. Throwing around general numbers isn’t some set in stone plan. My guess is many of the days he catches is vs LHP. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I look forward to the twice a week lineups  featuring a bottom 4 of Mateo, Franchy Cordero, McCann, Fraizer. Maybe they actually man up and get no hit this year

You would never see that. Why would McCann and a Cordero be in the same lineup? 

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

When you hear Frazier is playing everyday that doesn’t mean he is playing in 155 games. McCann isn’t starting 80 games. Throwing around general numbers isn’t some set in stone plan. My guess is many of the days he catches is vs LHP. 

Which I'm not super excited about because I think Adley should be getting reps against LHP.  I'd rather he be rested when it makes sense to give him a breather.  I don't think the book should be closed on him as a RHB.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is a modern day version of the 83 Orioles. Cal and Eddie are Gunnar and Aldley and Santander is Singleton. 

Those teams were mainly all platoon/part time players only in the OF. Here it will be a little of OF/INF. 

How many guys were in that bullpen?  Our closer going to pitch over 100 innings?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Which I'm not super excited about because I think Adley should be getting reps against LHP.  I'd rather he be rested when it makes sense to give him a breather.  I don't think the book should be closed on him as a RHB.

He is playing vs LHP. Maybe it’s more at DH. 

They will mix and match. Have to see how it plays out. Adley is starting 145-150 games.  No way he isn’t. 

15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No, everything is stupid when it’s stupid. 

From Connolly’s article:

https://theathletic.com/4027312/2022/12/22/orioles-mets-james-mccann/?source=user_shared_article

Well, we’ve already established that he’s the Orioles’ backup, meaning he probably will start 50-60 games behind the plate when Rutschman gets a day off or serves as the designated hitter. As a right-handed hitter, McCann also might get some starts at DH when Rutschman is catching and other position players need a full breather. He has also played nine games (six starts) at first base in the past two seasons, meaning he could fill in there occasionally if needed. So, 60-80 games total seems like a reasonable amount for McCann in 2023.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, Sports Guy said:

No, everything is stupid when it’s stupid. 

From Connolly’s article:

Well, we’ve already established that he’s the Orioles’ backup, meaning he probably will start 50-60 games behind the plate when Rutschman gets a day off or serves as the designated hitter. As a right-handed hitter, McCann also might get some starts at DH when Rutschman is catching and other position players need a full breather. He has also played nine games (six starts) at first base in the past two seasons, meaning he could fill in there occasionally if needed. So, 60-80 games total seems like a reasonable amount for McCann in 2023.

Hey may get 60 starts at C? No way unless Adley is hurt. This is preposterous. 

This is Dan speculating throwing numbers around. May be only 40. 

• Upvote 1