Suggested Deal w/Marlins

Answerman

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You mean they signed Cueto without having a deal in place already?

Maybe my funny meter is off this this morning, but I'm really missing the humor or point to this comment (other than snark).  Do we really need to wait until the ink dries on his contract before we speculate on how a move like this might impact a team's willingness to trade a starting pitcher? A team that has already publicly said, prior to the Cueto "signing", that they were looking to trade one and went so far as to say which ones they were willing to trade? 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

IF anyone has any doubts about Cabrera...

7 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

Maybe my funny meter is off this this morning, but I'm really missing the humor or point to this comment (other than snark).  Do we really need to wait until the ink dries on his contract before we speculate on how a move like this might impact a team's willingness to trade a starting pitcher? A team that has already publicly said, prior to the Cueto "signing", that they were looking to trade one and went so far as to say which ones they were willing to trade? 

I had said previously that the Orioles signed Frazier possibly with the intention of trading an infielder in a trade.  SG said that was stupid unless you already had a deal in place.  So, maybe the Marlins already have a deal in place.

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, jrobb21613 said:

There's no evidence to suggest that we won't continue to have one of the lowest salaries in baseball.

I'm not so sure it makes sense to trade Mullins he's a good leadoff hitter, has some pop, great speed etc. but I don't see the orioles committing to him outside of the 3 years of control. That 3 years we have of him at more than a reasonable price provides great value in and of it selve. I think the right young pitcher with similar amount of control would however provide greater value.

I don't expect the O's to try to extend Mullins that attention at least I hope will go to Gunnar,  Adley and eventually Greyson.

I'd probably like to see Bryan Reynolds get moved first just to get a better gauge of Mullins market value, unless we were offered the right pkg in return that incudes a young major league ready quality sp high upside with at least 2 years of control. 

If Mullins were to get moved who plays CF? Personally I think Mckenna would be an adequate placeholder until Cowser gets some more Ab's at Norfolk.

I understand that you have to have the idea that you want to maximize his return, but that also include maximizing his current value to the team.  What's greater?  Three years of Mullins or three years of Lopez?  I'll take Mullins personally.

Next, don't forget that you'll be able to offer him a QO, so you will get back a draft pick if that still exists in 3 years.

Finally, to your point of cost and control, for the next 3 years, you have to assume this team will continue to be on the rise, with improvements from Adley/Gunnar/GRod, and others, so you'll want to help yourself get to 90+ wins, rather than trading away wins.  The cost is less of an impediment for a team on the cusp.

1 hour ago, MarCakes21 said:

I understand that you have to have the idea that you want to maximize his return, but that also include maximizing his current value to the team.  What's greater?  Three years of Mullins or three years of Lopez?  I'll take Mullins personally.

I’d probably take Lopez.   Unfortunately, he’s only under team control for two years, not three.   That’s why I’ve never thought Mullins for Lopez was an even swap.  

I keep asking myself how much interest the Marlins have in a position player with limited team control. They know how hard that division is. Santander may fit a need but he doesn’t fit on a playoff contender there. 

If I am them I want bats who have 4 plus years of control. Their potential window is more 2025 and beyond. Another reason if I was them to look into trading the big boy. They don’t seem to want to do that.  

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I keep asking myself how much interest the Marlins have in a position player with limited team control. They know how hard that division is. Santander may fit a need but he doesn’t fit on a playoff contender there. 

If I am them I want bats who have 4 plus years of control. Their potential window is more 2025 and beyond. Another reason if I was them to look into trading the big boy. They don’t seem to want to do that.  

In a lot of ways, Mountcastle makes the most sense for them.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think that's a fair assessment beyond just talent evaluation.  Mountcastle and/or Urias seem like they're good fits on the Current Value vs. Future Value scale.