What is the real reason for our off season?

DocJJ

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seems a common assumption to assume the Angelos family owns 80% or more of the team.  One of the things I learned during the Angelos family Orioles control drama was that Tom Clancy and his wife at one time owned 24% of the team.  It seems possible/likely that the Angelos family ownership is 60% or less.  I don't see any Mlb approval of a partial sale that ends up w/ no clear majority owner. 

Many of the minorities owners have sold their stake in the team though.

18 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Many of the minorities owners have sold their stake in the team though.

I’m not sure about “many,” but I recall that Angelos had bought out 10-12% of the other shares at some point.  The Clancy estate is still an owner, along with a number of others listed here.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure about “many,” but I recall that Angelos had bought out 10-12% of the other shares at some point.  The Clancy estate is still an owner, along with a number of others listed here.

SVP of Administration and Experience is an interesting title. Like they couldn’t think of anything else and just said through in experience. He’s been here long enough. 

1 hour ago, waroriole said:

SVP of Administration and Experience is an interesting title. Like they couldn’t think of anything else and just said through in experience. He’s been here long enough. 

This practice permeates through much of corporate America.

Yeah he's an unproductive bureaucrat that is a net drain on the company, but he's served his time and hasn't fallen afoul of the new age HR gods... make up something confusing to call his position and promote him.

My favorite all time was Director of Normative Definitions.

No, that's not made up.

On 12/29/2022 at 8:55 PM, ThisIsBirdland said:

Per MLB.com for next year's FA class, I see plenty of good options here.

Starting pitcher: Carlos Carrasco, Alex Cobb (club option), Yu Darvish, Jack Flaherty, Lucas Giolito, Sonny Gray, Clayton Kershaw, Lance Lynn (club option), Kenta Maeda, Tyler Mahle, Germán Márquez, Miles Mikolas, Frankie Montas, Jordan Montgomery, Charlie Morton (club option), Aaron Nola, Jake Odorizzi, Shohei Ohtani, Eduardo Rodriguez (opt-out), Hyun Jin Ryu, Max Scherzer (opt-out), Luis Severino, Blake Snell, Marcus Stroman (opt-out), Julio Urías, Alex Wood

If we’re in the race come the trade deadline who  should we be targeting out of those guys?

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Interesting if DeWitt won the bidding and didn't combine with Peter Angelos. The Dewitt family has done a pretty nice job owning the Cardinals  

At U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New York, DeWitt and Angelos led two of four groups expected to bid during an auction. Before the auction began, Angelos had absorbed the DeWitt investors, a move expected to keep the bidding from spiraling.

The strategy failed to take into account a third investor, New York art dealer Jeffrey Loria, who drove the winning price of the team $20 million higher than many had predicted.

"In retrospect, it wasn't necessary to take [DeWitt] out of the bidding. But that was the strategy," Angelos said.

After the sale, DeWitt was somewhat involved in Orioles affairs. He attended a team investors meeting in St. Petersburg, Fla., during spring training in 1994, and was a representative of the club at a major-league owners meeting in Cincinnati last June. His partners, who include Ohio businessmen Mercer Reynolds, Robert Castellini and Richard Sutphin, were rarely at Orioles functions.

14 minutes ago, jrobb21613 said:

If we’re in the race come the trade deadline who  should we be targeting out of those guys?

Tough to know who will be selling and who will be putting up a strong season. I don't expect the Dodgers (Urias) or Phillies (Nola) to be selling. If the Angels are struggling they'll want the world for two months of Ohtani.

Lynn (CWS), Giolito (CWS), Gray (MIN), or Marquez (COL) could be decent rental pieces.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, owknows said:

This practice permeates through much of corporate America.

Yeah he's an unproductive bureaucrat that is a net drain on the company, but he's served his time and hasn't fallen afoul of the new age HR gods... make up something confusing to call his position and promote him.

My favorite all time was Director of Normative Definitions.

No, that's not made up.

The Experience part of the title was something I’d never seen before. Don’t think I wanna unpack any of the rest of that. 

6 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

It seems a common assumption to assume the Angelos family owns 80% or more of the team.  One of the things I learned during the Angelos family Orioles control drama was that Tom Clancy and his wife at one time owned 24% of the team.  It seems possible/likely that the Angelos family ownership is 60% or less.  I don't see any Mlb approval of a partial sale that ends up w/ no clear majority owner. 

Clancy did own 24% at one point but lost half in his divorce.  I had the good fortune to win five championships in auto racing-I lost two of my rings in my divorce, divorce is a bitch!!!

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

Clancy did own 24% at one point but lost half in his divorce.  I had the good fortune to win five championships in auto racing-I lost two of my rings in my divorce, divorce is a bitch!!!

Sounds like an interesting story. (The championship rings... not the divorce) 😁

27 minutes ago, owknows said:

Sounds like an interesting story. (The championship rings... not the divorce) 😁

Thanks, it was a big part of my life for a long time.  The two rings from the Indy 500 (I'm not a driver) were worth more than IRL championships, but it would have cost me more in legal fees to fight over it than they were worth.  I was upset for awhile as my name is engraved on them not hers but I think she also wanted to ensure they stayed in the family and didn't go to a GF or future wife.  I really wanted a Daytona winners which is beautiful, came close but never won when I was there. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Thanks, it was a big part of my life for a long time.  The two rings from the Indy 500 (I'm not a driver) were worth more than IRL championships, but it would have cost me more in legal fees to fight over it than they were worth.  I was upset for awhile as my name is engraved on them not hers but I think she also wanted to ensure they stayed in the family and didn't go to a GF or future wife.  I really wanted a Daytona winners which is beautiful, came close but never won when I was there. 

Interesting story... and sounds like as is typical, divorce was no fun.

Now you've got me curious whether you were over the wall crew, or shop/engineering.. perhaps another time.