Orioles acquire Ryan O’Hearn

Brian88

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Will we ever know?   I won’t be surprised if we aren’t told.  

COT's Contracts normally states the contract terms.   They could say that KC will pay 700k of his contract or something like that.

KC was on the hook for 1.4m when they DFA'd him.  If the O's  agreed to pay 700k of that salary it lessened KC's exposure to paying the whole salary.

Edited by wildcard

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Holy smokes. They are going to pay him $1.4 million? 

Good Lord... 

Let's see the Optimists (is that an acceptable term) spin this one. 

This smells of Odor. He's a guy we think has no role on the team and ends up generally an everyday player while OPSing in the low .600.

This offseason just keeps getting worse and worse. Actually, its becoming quite embarrassing once again.

But I'm sure the Orioles must have an exquisite one of kind evaluations system that has determined this guy will "bounce back". 

This is the type of dumpster move Elias has made all off season. I don’t understand wasting the resources that are available. In the immediate 1.4 million isn’t that much by itself. But, with all the questionable moves combined they could’ve added someone that actually might make a difference.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

This is the type of dumpster move Elias has made all off season. I don’t understand wasting the resources that are available. In the immediate 1.4 million isn’t that much by itself. But, with all the questionable moves combined they could’ve added someone that actually might make a difference.

This is the kind of thing that is more obvious in hindsight than in the moment. I think there are things that are difficult to understand... and we can but guess. A couple possibilities:

SCENARIO ONE

Imagine something along these lines.... Elias enters the winter meetings with what he thinks is actual folding money in his wallet. Everything is smiles and "lift off" talk. Then he gets a call from the boss... "uh... yeah... about that money...  uhh... I'm gonna have to ask you to go ahead and not spend it".

So Elias ends up getting what he can from the loose change in the seat cushions.

SCENARIO TWO

Elias enter the winter meetings with actual folding money in his wallet... and has the green light to spend for the entire time. He makes several reasonable offers to pitchers and position players.. losing out because of years or dollars each time. Perhaps even occasionally losing out while being the top offer.

So he decides to not be reckless, and to just spackle a few holes. Maybe hoping to address substantive change via trade.

Either way you're left with a situation where we've added mediocrity. In some cases this is benign. I think Gibson, McCann aren't getting in anyone's way. But Frazier? Still don't get that one. The one place where you actually had the emerging talent (and plenty of it) to address your own deficiencies... you add a blocker.

8 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

You can "make the point" as many times as you want, but it won't make it true. We could have easily found 500 ABs for a meaningful lineup upgrade like Josh Bell, Justin Turner, or JD Martinez (as just a couple of off-hand examples).

Because the team hasn't been upgraded in any meaningful way despite allegedly intending to compete for a playoff spot and now all of the free agents who would have been meaningful upgrades are gone.

Easily? Those at bats come at the expense of someone. Who? I brought up JD earlier in the off-season. He is taking at bats away from Santander and/or Stowers. 

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

COT's Contracts normally states the contract terms.   They could say that KC will pay 700k of his contract or something like that.

KC was on the hook for 1.4m when they DFA'd him.  If the O's  agreed to pay 700k of that salary it lessened KC's exposure to paying the whole salary.

What if KC had simply released him? We’re they on the hook for all of it? I recall when the Orioles let Miguel Gonzalez go in the spring of 2016 they paid him a portion. 

Edited by eddie83

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

What if KC had simply released him? We’re they on the hook for all of it? I recall when the Orioles let Miguel Gonzalez go in the spring of 2016 they paid him a portion. 

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3534

This seems to say that KC was on the hook for all of it. Leads me to believe they took on a decent amount. Who knows how much. At most if O’Hearn was with another club they could have saved a full year of the minimum. So about half. No guarantee of course that would have been the case.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Ok, that definitely addresses the no. 1-3 starter point.  If there’s one for the MOO bat, let me know.  I don’t recall one. 

I don’t recall it. I think Elias has executed his plans for the bats. Clearly has not for pitching. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Local media is trying to sell this as the “bat they are looking for”.  He has a good shot to make the team.

This made me laugh. I had never heard of this guy.  Then I looked up his career stats.  Wow.  Definitely has Orioles written all over him. 

57 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Easily? Those at bats come at the expense of someone. Who? I brought up JD earlier in the off-season. He is taking at bats away from Santander and/or Stowers. 

Who do you think all these other scrubs are going to take away at bats from? Cordero, Mazara, McCan, Fraizer, O'hearn I bet will get more ABs this year than Stowers, Vavra, Westburg, Ortiz, and Cowser.

4 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Who do you think all these other scrubs are going to take away at bats from? Cordero, Mazara, McCan, Fraizer, O'hearn I bet will get more ABs this year than Stowers, Vavra, Westburg, Ortiz, and Cowser.

McCann is taking at bats away from those guys? Cordero, Mazara and O’Hearn won’t be here at the same time. One at most. Those guys aren’t getting many at bats. If they do it’s because they are hitting great or massive injuries. 

Frazier is going to play. They aren’t going to use a Westburg or Ortiz in a bench role to start the season. Vavra’s issue is how the roster is constructed. When Cowser is called up he is going to be playing. 

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I had the same reaction.  It now occurs to me that maybe the “cash considerations” here are that the O’s will pay some portion of the excess between the league minimum and the $1.4 mm, but not the whole $1.4 mm.

I was always under the assumptions it was the Orioles giving the team money, not the team giving the Orioles money along with the player when it says cash considerations.