Pick the Best 4

Sanity Check

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

That's a very fair opinion.  By "everyday guy", if you mean a regular in the lineup in 5 out of every 7 games, I'm not sure that's a given.

But to your point, I would love to see Stowers get more consistent reps to see if he is major-league ready.  But I truly believe he will still have to compete with, and outperform those guys that I mentioned in the opening post in order to get that chance rather than ending up in AAA to get regular at bats.

On the depth chart, I have to think he comes in behind Hays and McKenna, and likely somewhat even with Vavra.  I don't know enough about O'Hearn to compare him to Stowers, but I think they both still can be optioned to AAA without waivers.  the fact that Elias is adding so many of these left handed bats might be an indication that they are either not entirely sold on the Stowers and Vavras of the world, or they really want to create a competitive environment that doesn't allow anyone to get complacent.

Then the question in, is it better for Stowers to be getting regular at bats at AAA or playing every other game for the O's?  That's a debate in and of itself.

Stowers in AAA is dumb.

Vavra over him is dumb.

McKenna over him is dumb.

If this FO is that dumb to think that, they should trade Stowers before they crush his value.

And btw, this comes from someone who isn’t a total believer in Stowers but the upside of the bat is unquestioned and putting lesser talent in front of him is an illogical, absurd idea.

Right now, the team SHOULD be…

Mountcastle, Westburg, Ortiz, Gunnar in the IF…Stowers, Mullins and I guess Hays (no desire for him to be a starter though) in the OF..Tony Taters at DH.

Frazier will be in there of course, which is another dumb idea and so will Mateo.

3 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Assuming we make no other position player moves, and assume our opening day roster includes Adley, Mc Cann, Mountcastle, Urias, Frazier, Mateo, Henderson, Mullins and Santander.  That's nine guys.

Which of the following four players make YOUR opening day roster??

1. Westburg
  2. Vavra
  3. Hays 
  4. McKenna
  5. Stowers
  6. O'Hearn
  7. Profar (assuming at least one more questionable acquisition to keep it interesting)

Which 4 of these guys would you choose to fill out your Orioles fantasy roster?  Ok, maybe "fantasy" is a poor choice of words, but you get the idea.....

As others have already pointed out, Hays is the everyday LF and should be included with the other "locks."

Anyway, I guess I'd go with McKenna, Stowers, and Vavra for the 3 remaining spots because I'd rather not start Westburg's clock for a bench job and Profar is likely looking for an everyday gig and is probably going to get paid more than he's worth. 

My ideal scenario has Hays as 4th outfielder so bye-bye McKenna.  For the rest I would have Stowers (as a regular starter), Profar and O"Hearn - who is the latest head-scratcher of an addition to the 2023 Orioles.  I think Westburg finds his way up soon enough, but don't ask me at what position because I don't have a clue.

17 hours ago, Sanity Check said:

Assuming we make no other position player moves, and assume our opening day roster includes Adley, Mc Cann, Mountcastle, Urias, Frazier, Mateo, Henderson, Mullins and Santander.  That's nine guys.

Which of the following four players make YOUR opening day roster??

1. Westburg
  2. Vavra
  3. Hays 
  4. McKenna
  5. Stowers
  6. O'Hearn
  7. Profar (assuming at least one more questionable acquisition to keep it interesting)

Which 4 of these guys would you choose to fill out your Orioles fantasy roster?  Ok, maybe "fantasy" is a poor choice of words, but you get the idea.....

Hays, McKenna, Stowers, O’Hearn. Westburg gets some more seasoning in AAA, but he’s ready. Vavra needs to play Vavra needs to play every position in AAA other than C, all while leading off daily. Let’s develop into an adequate UTIL player. That’s better that sitting on the MLB bench.