At what point is Elias' job in jeopardy?

Es4M11

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think he has at least two years.   Teams that make a big leap forward like the O’s did last year often stagnate the following year before taking the next step forward.  So, even if the O’s do take a small step backwards in 2023 (which I hope won’t happen but certainly could), I think Elias would be given 2024 to turn it around.  In any event, the relationship between Elias and John Angelos seems very solid.   

I would agree with this. If the 2024 doesn't look like a strong contender, then the rebuild strategy has most likely failed on some front. Assuming, of course, that John Angelos sees not winning as a problem.

4 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Certainly I could have worded this better 🤦‍♂️. I guess I am asking more about fan opinion. Not necessarily what ownership might do.

As far as the fan perspective, I'm fine with the progress so far. I still believe changing Elias out for anyone else will not change the budget.

Elias is exactly what this Board clamored for back in 2017. He has delivered to date. Recently there wqs a thread to give him and Sig a raise or up their title or both to insure they don't leave. He is on more solid ground from a fan's perspective ( IN MY OPINION) than anyone in the Raven's front office. Never thought I'd say that about a Oriole GM. Frazier be damned, the Orioles (IN MY OPINION) are in better shape now than the Ravens. I agree, he leaves before he gets fired and I hope to heck he stays!

• Upvote 2

It is a really tough question to answer because we are a unique organization in that winning at the major league level was not a priority for 4+ years.  So how a GM is usually evaluated simply didn't apply in our situation.  Tear it down and rebuild it was his charge, and I think he did a very good job.  I think in the last six months, he has said some things he shouldn't have and maybe made some decisions that were questionable...but that doesn't make him any different than any 40 year old in any job.  I don't really know if our ownership cares about winning, but if I had to guess, I would say they don't.  It was obvious a guy like Steinbrenner wanted championships.  Angelos sons......names might as well be "money" and "lawsuit"

All of that being said, we need to get to the playoffs this year and win at least one series.  Cleveland and Seattle just did this.  There is no reason we shouldn't expect that outcome.  Enough moving the goalposts.  

3 minutes ago, oriole said:

I feel it’s the opposite. How long until Elias can bow out? He’s got to be wondering where the money he was promised he could spend is. He has got to be looking at ways to get away from this organization. 

When his contract is up, whenever that is.

Unless some team is willing to pay to get him out of his current deal and I don't see why any would as I bet it wouldn't be cheap.

4 minutes ago, oriole said:

I feel it’s the opposite. How long until Elias can bow out? He’s got to be wondering where the money he was promised he could spend is. He has got to be looking at ways to get away from this organization. 

I would be plotting my exit for sure.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, interloper said:

Elias is more likely to leave of his own volition than he is to be fired. 

I think some team will try and poach him as early as this season.  Whether or not he leaves will be a good indication of his relationship with ownership and his faith that they will provide him with what he needs when the time comes.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I think some team will try and poach him as early as this season.  Whether or not he leaves will be a good indication of his relationship with ownership and his faith that they will provide him with what he needs when the time comes.

Why?

How?

He's an executive vice president and general manager.

By the rules they do these things someone would have to offer him a promotion.

Would you name him team president?

Right now he's shown an ability to modernize a team's use of analytics, cut payroll and build a farm system out of high draft picks.  The tanking technique took a serious blow this past CBA.

He'd have to show a lot more before I'd make him a team president.