Birdland Caravan back this season

Frobby

On 1/9/2023 at 10:05 AM, HakunaSakata said:

Just announced. Looks like they'll be going the caravan route again this year with stops in Bel Air, Salisbury, College Park, Frederick, Bowie, Elkridge, Columbia, Baltimore, York (PA), Towson, Owings MIlls, Westminster, and Odenton. 

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/fans/caravan

We’re baaaaaaack! 👀 Join us February 2-5 as we tour Maryland for autograph sessions, happy hours, and more during Birdland Caravan! For more information, visit Orioles.com/caravan.
Take a look at the guys that will be joining us ⬇️

I hope that some of those still-to-come big offseason signings and trade acquisitions will be made in time to add some of our marquee newcomers to the Caravan.  

2 hours ago, X-O said:

Take it from someone who worked there for many years and worked many Fanfests.  The reasons they stopped are:

1) $$$. The Orioles lose money every year doing this.  It’s not a matter of if, but how much.

2) Logistics.  I don’t think people understand all of the effort and headaches (and arm twisting in some cases) of scheduling all of the players to be here, as well as ex-Oriole greats, broadcasters, minor leaguers etc.  Scheduling travel, hotel and transportation for each of these people is a lot of work. Packing up the Von Paris trucks for a one day event is a big ordeal too.  It’s an awful lot of work for an event that loses $$$.  Reserving the Convention Center space must be done a year in advance as well.  Add to this the Orioles going through a rebuild and then COVID…

Really the only reason do this was FOR the fans.  The O’s got nothing else out of it other than selling some season tickets.   Think of the Caravan plan as a compromise.  

Thank you for these insights.  I always assumed Fanfest didn’t pay for itself in terms of tickets to the event covering the cost.  It’s a marketing expense, essentially.   Whether there are more cost-effective ways of marketing the team and getting an equivalent or greater boost in fan interest is a fair question.  Personally I got a lot of enjoyment from the event and it helped pique my interest for the season.  

I think my favorite Fanfest moment was when Andy MacPhail was doing Q&A and was asked by a fan what the chances were that the Orioles would make another move before the offseason was over.   He smiled and said “about as close to 100% as is humanly possible.”  Later that day it was announced that the O’s had re-signed Miguel Tejada.  It didn’t really work out very well, but it was well received by the fans at the time.  

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

I would wager that if not all but most clubs lose money on Fanfest. More of a promo for baseball in the winter and promotion of the club.  Some like the Cubs and Red Sox and Reds do a two day event. You want the kids to get interested in baseball.

I'ts not designed to make money, very familar with it from the NHL-there are a lot of expenses involved but it's an investment in the brand.  It's something MLB wants and suscribes too.  In the old days the media exposure was important, not so much with the media cycle today.  Players generally don't like it but they have to do a certain amount of appearances or media events-it is in every player contract, you can see it in the CBA standard player contract.

9 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

I've got the small child part down :) He wants autographs though, and we normally go to sunday games since he's younger, but there's no BP.  The guys don't even come out until 20 min before game time, and typically don't sign, so we've gotten plenty of balls near the BP, but no autographs.  

When you get autographs, are they typically not sunday games?  And while BP is ongoing or in the 20 min while they run/stretch?

Hi MarCakes,

I live out of town so not as familar with OPACY policies but I did work for the Orioles in ST and it shouldn't have changed too much.  Night games are best, day games and I think some return travel days BP is not open.  Yes, players will sometimes but not always sign during BP and stretching especially pitchers and catchers while not throwing.  Again first base line and next to the dugout are best prior to the game, most players love to sign for kids not so much for adults.  Bring a Sharpie, they hate to sign with anything else.  You can also sneak down to above the dugout after a game, call to them and ask them to sign for your son-that's key.  Ushers will generally let you into lower box seats after the 7th inning (when I worked ST we were told this was OK).  On another note (and please don't judge me), I generally buy cheap seats and move around I like to watch a game from different angles.  When I'm in the cheap seats with my son I have my eye on good open seats on the baseline or behind home plate, if nobodys in them by the fourth inning they're not coming.  Go straight past the usher like you know where you are going (don't make eye contact) and they likely won't bother you.  Hope this helps!! 

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I looked what they are charging for the Bowlero thing in College Park and it is $340.00 for a party of four. People were complaining online that they are charging $50.00 for two autographs. Can't get into that part but if true that is a ripoff.

You should read the Orioles Twitter account comment section by the buy your tickets now part.

12 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I looked what they are charging for the Bowlero thing in College Park and it is $340.00 for a party of four. People were complaining online that they are charging $50.00 for two autographs. Can't get into that part but if true that is a ripoff.

I don't know.  Sounds kind of fun to spend a couple of hours bowling with Adley, Elias, and the other guys listed there.  $85 apiece doesn't sound all that bad to me.  I'll be out of town that weekend, otherwise I'd be looking into it.

Edited by Number5

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't know.  Sounds kind of fun to spend a couple of hours bowling with Adley, Elias, and the other guy listed there.  $85 apiece doesn't sound all that bad to me to me.  I'll be out of town that weekend, otherwise I'd be looking into it.

They are charging $50.00 for a Kjerstad and Urias autograph at Bowie State.The bowling is a bargain then 

Edited by Going Underground

On 1/10/2023 at 8:53 AM, MarCakes21 said:

I've got the small child part down :) He wants autographs though, and we normally go to sunday games since he's younger, but there's no BP.  The guys don't even come out until 20 min before game time, and typically don't sign, so we've gotten plenty of balls near the BP, but no autographs.  

When you get autographs, are they typically not sunday games?  And while BP is ongoing or in the 20 min while they run/stretch?

Well get them at the stadium.$50.00 for two players or coach is expensive for your child. 

50 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Well get them at the stadium.$50.00 for two players or coach is expensive for your child. 

Again, going to the stadium isn't a problem, but we typically go to day games because we have young kids.  And they don't take BP and IF/OF during day games, so they don't typically sign either.  Unless someone has info that I don't.  Help me understand where to best get signatures during a day game.

38 minutes ago, MarCakes21 said:

Again, going to the stadium isn't a problem, but we typically go to day games because we have young kids.  And they don't take BP and IF/OF during day games, so they don't typically sign either.  Unless someone has info that I don't.  Help me understand where to best get signatures during a day game.

If your goal is to get your kid excited about the team and game, go to minor league games instead.  The players are more willing and still puts a smile on the kid's face.  Even the future stars of the game are more willing.  Aberdeen was great.  We sat on the 1B/RF rail.  The position starters stretched on the field along the RF line.  Tons of players walked by from the clubhouse to the dugout.  A couple of the players were talking to fans (i.e. flirting with the ladies and planning post-game activities).  Have a sharpie, cards, balls, etc.  If possible, stay after the game because that's when the most signatures happened (and yes, Sunday's are best for early games for young kids to stay after).  The rail was mobbed with collectors, so the closer to the dugout the better.  Be bold/loud.  My kids are fairly reserved, so I had to yell out for them a few times.

4 hours ago, Going Underground said:

A real fan friendly event. I see $180 for Topgolf. 

How tone deaf are they? 

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

For FanFest in 2017, the Orioles charged $20 for autographs, you got 3 players for that After the O's cancelled Fanfest, autographs were free for the 2020 #Birdland Caravan For the 2023 Caravan, autographs are $50, you get 2 players

Inflation.