Spirit of 66 - Celebration video made by WJZ

Just Regular

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the video, I was struck by how many of the American League stadiums from 1966 are no longer in existence.

Cleveland Municipal Stadium, K. C. Municipal Stadium, Comiskey Park, Tiger Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium, the old Yankee Stadium, D. C. Stadium, and Memorial Stadium - all gone.

Only Anaheim Stadium (which opened in 1966) and Fenway Park still stand.  Of course, Fenway looks a lot different with the Monster Seats above the left field wall now instead of the screen that was there in '66.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:09 PM, WillyM said:

Watching the video, I was struck by how many of the American League stadiums from 1966 are no longer in existence.

Cleveland Municipal Stadium, K. C. Municipal Stadium, Comiskey Park, Tiger Stadium, Metropolitan Stadium, the old Yankee Stadium, D. C. Stadium, and Memorial Stadium - all gone.

Only Anaheim Stadium (which opened in 1966) and Fenway Park still stand.  Of course, Fenway looks a lot different with the Monster Seats above the left field wall now instead of the screen that was there in '66.

Oriole Park is the 10th oldest park in MLB.   (And Tropicana Dome was built before the Oriole Park, but it wasn't a major league baseball stadium until later).   So only 8 teams have been in their stadiums longer than the Orioles have (and the White Sox and Blue Jays are only one and two years before us).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not sure how or why I have missed this thread until now but I have to comment on this photo. This is my favorite from back in the day because it is one of the few Frank photos with a smile looking happy. The only other one I remember was with him wearing the mop wig running the Kangaroo court. This made me happy. Also, BR has kinda a JJ Hardy "yeah right" crooked smile which is also unusual for him. Thanks for the memories, I miss the Robinson brothers.