Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

In Roch's latest entry, "More Huff, and the bench" he makes a note at the very end of the blog... "I'll be filing something later on Adam Dunn."

Roch has been dropping hints lately about some of the more recent signings... in particular, with Uehara.

Do you guys think we should be expecting something on Dunn or just Roch's thoughts about Dunn? I could be reading into this line waaaaay too much...

http://masnsports.com/2009/01/more-huff-and-the-bench.html

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Roch's latest entry, "More Huff, and the bench" he makes a note at the very end of the blog... "I'll be filing something later on Adam Dunn."

Roch has been dropping hints lately about some of the more recent signings... in particular, with Uehara.

Do you guys think we should be expecting something on Dunn or just Roch's thoughts about Dunn? I could be reading into this line waaaaay too much...http://masnsports.com/2009/01/more-huff-and-the-bench.html

You are. Best case scenario is that the Orioles have had conversations with his agent, with the more likely outcome being that they believe his asking price is too high.

That Cuban pitcher should be getting interest from us, as we need pitching and he was a beast in the WBC. He'd be alot cheaper than Dice-K.

Do you guys think we should be expecting something on Dunn or just Roch's thoughts about Dunn? I could be reading into this line waaaaay too much...

Well, he will either confirm the O's are not looking for a left handed power bat that can hit another 40 home runs, or he will suggest the opposite -- and Baltimore may take a run at the guy.

Filing something can be good, bad or in between....

-Don (still thinks it would be fun watching Dunn break a warehouse window)

I would think that Roch would simply say in his blog that we have little interest in Dunn if that were the case.

If there is interest and we've had preliminary discussions with the agent, it might be worthy of a "filing". We'll see.

That's the FO paying attention to my post yesterday where I said:

I would at least appreciate an explanation, even if filtered down to the masses via Roch, as to why they passed on Dunn if that's how it turns out. Our lineup in 2010 needs some help and at todays prices, gotta think having Dunn would be helpful.

You have to give Roch credit. The man knows how to tease.

Generally, I would agree. The tease seems to be a modern media must for online and television journalism. However, it may simply be a case of checking additional sources or waiting for the very latest information.

-Don

There's been a lot of talk, specifically in Roy's thread, about Dunn's price dropping and some lucky team getting a Ryan Howard-esque player for $10M a year or less. I'd hate to be one of the teams that missed out on that.

The only problem is that Huff, Scott, and Dunn are a little redundant in the same lineup. I'd rather have Huff and Dunn than any other combination of the two, if for no other reason than past performance. Scott's best year as a pro was last year, and it wasn't all THAT impressive. Scott and Dunn would probably be a slightly more versatile pair, and it would also work out salary wise.

I think if the FO thought there was any market for Huff, they'd be more agressive about signing Dunn. He may be 29, but his skills aren't likely do fade anytime soon because he doesn't rely on speed or athleticism in any facet of his game.

I know that there has to be some type of projection system out there where we can see how many HRs he would have hit if playing in Camden Yards for 81 games instead of the Red's.

I've liked Dunn for awhile, and am a bit skeptical about him, but would be excited to have him on the team. I'd buy tickets to see him play. According to Baseball Reference:

Darryl Strawberry (920)

Jose Canseco (906)

Harmon Killebrew (902) *

Rocky Colavito (895)

Reggie Jackson (889) *

-His top 5 comparable players, in order.

Generally, I would agree. The tease seems to be a modern media must for online and television journalism. However, it may simply be a case of checking additional sources or waiting for the very latest information.

-Don

This type of tease is Journalism 101 and has nothing to do with the modern media. This has been done since the creation of newspapers. People would stand on street corners yelling "extra, extra read all about it..." trying to get people to buy a newspaper.

Perhaps Roch's viewership is down a bit and decided to go old school with a tease. ;)

Archived