Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

Sure Hank ...But the Orioles view Scott as a platoon player by the way they used him last year. So they should trade him for a couple guys close to ready.

We've also heard that Scott was injured for a part last season and will be in excellent health and shape by spring training. If he can kick up his offensive numbers a bit, he won't be platooned.

I also think DT went too far out of his way to get JayP at-bats last year. Maybe we'll have a better defined fourth OFer this year and Luke can pick up some additional at-bats.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We've also heard that Scott was injured for a part last season and will be in excellent health and shape by spring training. If he can kick up his offensive numbers a bit, he won't be platooned.

I also think DT went too far out of his way to get JayP at-bats last year. Maybe we'll have a better defined fourth OFer this year and Luke can pick up some additional at-bats.

Of course he will...They are going to platoon him with Freel.

Looking at what he's done in miniscule sample sizes against each AL team is a worthless endeavor. It won't show anything meaningful because the sample sizes are all far too small. Do you think it is in any way relevant that he has a 1.848 OPS in 9 career games against the Rangers?

Dunn's offense isn't in question. The debate is if he is worth signing if he's insisting on playing LF everyday. I don't think so. I think we could sign an average or slightly better fielding left-fielder who hits roughly as well as Luke Scott and they'd be worth as many wins to us as Dunn in LF.

Heck, I'll go out on a short limb and say that as left-fielders, Dunn and Luke Scott are just about equal in terms of overall value. Anybody want to give Scott a 3/$36M contract? Of course not. Dunn's defense kills his team. As a DH he'd be a great addition, as a LF I'll pass, and stick with Scott.

I think that it'd be interesting to look at his career numbers against the AL. His .892 OPS in interleague play is a career number put up over 418 Plate Appearances, however I have to be a member of Baseball Reference to see alot more than that. I don't think that is too small a sample.

Came on alittle strong at the top. :D

Of course he will...They are going to platoon him with Freel.

Not if Freel is playing second. It is more likely to be platooning with Montenez.

I am of the camp that believes that Scott is going to have a real big year. He is supposedly 100% healthy and now with a full year in the AL and all the notes he takes he is going to be better prepared. I also think he is an above average defender.

Not if Freel is playing second. It is more likely to be platooning with Montenez.

Gomez will be at 2B vs. LHP if Roberts is traded with Donnie Murphy backing up at SS and 2B and Freel in LF.

Montanez isn't going to be on the ML squad next season because of his defense.

I can see our Sunday lineup now..'

2B: Roberts

CF: Jones

RF: Markakis

1B: Gomez

DH: Huff

3B: Mora

LF: Freel

C: Zaun

SS: Izturis

More like

LF Freel

3B Mora

RF Markakis

DH Huff

1B Wigginton

CF Jones

2B Gomez

C Zaun

SS Izturis

Bench: Moeller, Scott, Murphy

I seriously dont get it.... Dunn could play a average LF & be a plus with his bat. Scott can certainly be traded. IMO Scott may rank well in the fielding journals, But he has little speed. So he doesn't cover a lot of ground.

Scott would run circles around Dunn.

Hey RShack.... see how easy that was to communicate the siutaiton to the fans without making anyone look bad? "Dunn is seen as a DH and he wants to play the OF". Now I am satisfied. I'm sure the FO will sleep better tonight. :D

I think everyone can agree that, regardless of what you think of AM, he has way more GM-smarts than I do ;-)

Archived