Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

In this case Malike is pointing out the possibility that MacPhail did try to sign Dunn, but Dunn and his agent told him behind closed doors that Dunn has no interest in signing with Baltimore.

In the absence of information speculation will fill the void. If AM has talks with any premiere FA that passes, he needs to communicate that to the fans. That can be done in a way as not to make anyone look poor. Just state there wasn't mutual interest.. or the like.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If AM has talks with any premiere FA that passes, he needs to communicate that to the fans.

No he doesn't.

The last thing he needs to do is fill up the media's winter wasteland of no-quotes with news about how good players don't wanna sign with the O's.

Most people don't want to hear that. It's just a few of us on message boards that want his phone tapped.

He'd be nuts to run the franchise based on satisfying our minute-by-minute hunger for gossip.

In the absence of information speculation will fill the void. If AM has talks with any premiere FA that passes, he needs to communicate that to the fans. That can be done in a way as not to make anyone look poor. Just state there wasn't mutual interest.. or the like.

You really believe this? I don't just don't see how informing fans of every passing conversation is even remotely reasonable to expect. I want to stay in the 'now,' too, but that doesn't mean AMac is beholden to the fans with daily updates on conversations.

Besides, is a simple request, like Malike suggested, really something the fans need to know? That we were possibly rebuffed? Embarrassing to have printed if you ask me. And fear of speculation shouldn't be the engine behind our FO's decision making and public relations.

No he doesn't.

The last thing he needs to do is fill up the media's winter wasteland of no-quotes with news about how good players don't wanna sign with the O's.

Most people don't want to hear that. It's just a few of us on message boards that want his phone tapped.

He'd be nuts to run the franchise based on satisfying our minute-by-minute hunger for gossip.

What he said... especially 'most people'.

No he doesn't.

My comments are more to do with then end of the offseason, not a blow-by-blow description. I'm sure this doesn't change your overall point which I think has some merit, but there are ways to leak information etc etc.. it can be done. I believe he has some responsibility to the fans.

I don't think he has any sort of obligation to pass on everything to the fans. It'd certainly be nice to know everything that goes on, or at least in retrospect be told what was going on, but I don't think its a reasonable expectation from fans.

$14M A year for a guy that can anchor are 1st base and DH for 3-4 years I am find with that give him the money.
He can't play 1B. He's strictly a DH. $14M for a DH is a lot, but I think he'd be worth close to that. I'd be worried about year 4. Ideally we could get him for something like 3/$36M with a 4th year option. I don't see him getting offered much more than that, although I do think he might prefer other teams to Baltimore, if we even offered something like that.

From MLB live chat. People know we have a "payment issue".

1:58 [Comment From Ben]

Why wouldn't Adam Dunn want to come to Baltimore? He would absolutely destroy the ball at Camden Yards.

1:59 Well, maybe he is looking for a chance to make the playoffs in year 1 of a deal. But if he sticks to 4/56 it won't matter, the O's won't touch him.

From MLB live chat. People know we have a "payment issue".

1:58 [Comment From Ben]

Why wouldn't Adam Dunn want to come to Baltimore? He would absolutely destroy the ball at Camden Yards.

1:59 Well, maybe he is looking for a chance to make the playoffs in year 1 of a deal. But if he sticks to 4/56 it won't matter, the O's won't touch him.

He's not going to get 4/$56M from anybody.

I don't believe for a second that this is actually a problem.

If there are two guys who are roughly equal they'd prefer a right-handed hitter. But if the left-handed hitter is a considerably better hitter than the right-handed guy, they absolutely will go with the left-handed hitter.

Lets pretend for a second we sign Dunn and Zaun and make no other offensive moves. That leaves us with...

2B: Roberts (switch)

3B: Mora (righty)

RF: Kakes (Lefty)

1B: Dunn (lefty)

DH: Huff (Lefty)

Lf: Scott (lefty)

CF: Jones (righty)

C: Zaun (switch)

ss: Izturis (switch)

That's 4 lefties, 3 switch, and 2 righties. Overall its pretty balanced, but the issue is the power of the lineup is ALL lefty. Late in the game we'd be in trouble if somebody has decent lefties in the pen. How can this lineup be rearranged so that all of the power is not buinched together???

Roberts (s)

Kakes (l)

Mora ®

Dunn (l)

Huff (l)

Jones ®

Scott (l)

Zaun (s)

Izturis (s)

I like the first lineup better, but I guess the second isn't too bad. I say sign Dunn and let Trembley do his job in determining how to use everyone successfully.

Lets pretend for a second we sign Dunn and Zaun and make no other offensive moves. That leaves us with...

2B: Roberts (switch)

3B: Mora (righty)

RF: Kakes (Lefty)

1B: Dunn (lefty)

DH: Huff (Lefty)

Lf: Scott (lefty)

CF: Jones (righty)

C: Zaun (switch)

ss: Izturis (switch)

That's 4 lefties, 3 switch, and 2 righties. Overall its pretty balanced, but the issue is the power of the lineup is ALL lefty. Late in the game we'd be in trouble if somebody has decent lefties in the pen. How can this lineup be rearranged so that all of the power is not buinched together???

Roberts (s)

Kakes (l)

Mora ®

Dunn (l)

Huff (l)

Jones ®

Scott (l)

Zaun (s)

Izturis (s)

I like the first lineup better, but I guess the second isn't too bad. I say sign Dunn and let Trembley do his job in determining how to use everyone successfully.

Sign Dunn and deal Scott for a RH hitting first or third baseman. And if you do deal Scott, it opens up a spot for a RH hitting Reimold.

http://masnsports.com/2009/01/done-talking-about-dunn.html

Dunn wants to play in the outfield. The Orioles' interest in him only exists if he's willing to serve as the regular designated hitter.

They obviously like his bat, but he's not going to bump Luke Scott out of left field. And that speaks volumes, considering that Scott isn't going to win any Gold Gloves.

As far as I know, they're not looking to sign Dunn at this time. He'd only be in play as a DH.

Archived