Roch's Latest... Speculation about Dunn?

Nick The Stick

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree at some point he's gonna have to decide whether to take smaller offers from National League teams or more money from an AL team to be a DH. I don't really think I'd even seriously let him try at 1B. He hasn't played there over an extensive amount of time, but he's regarded as being even worse there than in the field, which is amazing. He's strictly a DH in my eyes, and I don't think I'd lie to him and tell him we'd give him a shot in the field but might move him. That would just be setting this move up to be a failure.

I'm not sure 3/$30M gets it done, but we're already talking about way below what he's hoping for. It'll be interesting to see how much he ends up getting.

There is nothing wrong with giving him time in ST to play first..If he doesn't look comfortable over there, then so be it...But its not wrong to tell him that he will get a fair shot at playing in the field.

Huff isn't a good defensive first baseman, so its not like he has a big hill to climb over there for us.

Ultimately, you still pursue and you still put a decent starting offer(3/30) on the table and go from there.

Maybe he says, I am not interested right now, i want to see if I can get an OF job and that is fine...But you have put it out there that you are interested and you have started the ball rolling on contract negotiations and given him a reason to at least consider you.

Also, it's easy for Dunn to essentially say, "I'm not interested" by insisting on playing the outfield.

I question any team that puts him in the outfield, frankly.

You know, at some point real soon these guys like Dunn, Sheets, Manny, Abreau, etc better realize that they are going to either have to sign at well below what they are asking, or else they may not get signed at all. Dunn may WANT 56 million, and he may WANT to play the outfield, but if nobody is willing to offer that, then he may HAVE TO take 3/30-36 to DH whether he WANTS to or not. Same goes for these other guys. Aside from Manny, the teams are now in the drivers seat, and they appear to be calling the shots. I said it when the MFY signed Tex, that the other teams were going to finally use that as the catalyst to take a stand, and that appears to be exactly what is happening here.

There is nothing wrong with giving him time in ST to play first..If he doesn't look comfortable over there, then so be it...But its not wrong to tell him that he will get a fair shot at playing in the field.

Huff isn't a good defensive first baseman, so its not like he has a big hill to climb over there for us.

Ultimately, you still pursue and you still put a decent starting offer(3/30) on the table and go from there.

Maybe he says, I am not interested right now, i want to see if I can get an OF job and that is fine...But you have put it out there that you are interested and you have started the ball rolling on contract negotiations and given him a reason to at least consider you.

Agree 100%. Though I'd give him a little better offer. 3/33 or 36.

I think if you leave any room for him to get a shot at playing the field, he'll inevitably be too poor to play there, and then will resent us for moving him to DH.

I'd rather not sign him than sign him with the hope (in his mind) of being an everyday fielder then moving him to DH. I have absolutely zero doubts that he'd field too poorly in either LF or 1B to be allowed to play the field. No doubt in my mind at all about that. So I'd be honest with him, because it'd be awful to have a malcontent on our hands who wants to be playing the field.

I have no problems with anything else you are suggesting (I'd actually offer even more money than you suggest), I just wouldn't even leave open the possibility to him competing for a spot in LF or 1B, because it will inevitably lead to him becoming pissed off with the team if he does sign here. Us telling him "We'll give you a shot to earn the position" would be interpreted by him as "you can play 1B every day". That's just the way these guys think, there is no doubt in Dunn's mind that he can handle either LF or 1B defensively even though we all know that is not the case. Any "shot" at playing the field that ends with us deciding he has to be moved to DH inherently won't be viewed as "fair" in Dunn's eyes. That's just the way something like that is inevitably bound to go down.

I personally feel that Dunn would get time at both 1B and LF in addition to DH next year, it's just that a majority of his time would be spent at DH. The market is non-existant for him right now and his prefered team, the Cubs, signed Milton Bradley. 18 days until Feb. so we will see. Ditto for Garland and Sheets. Usually everyone is off the board by now.

Im sure if you offer the cash Dunn might take a DH role. I agree with Roch though why not let Dunn play some LF here and there i mean Scott is not going to win any gold gloves either. Dunn can be are own little Manny.

Except that Dunn busts his butt. He may not be good in the OF, but it's not for lack of trying. Scott hasn't been 100% ever, so it's not like Dunn would never get his LF reps. He can hang out with his former Red buddy Ryan Freel too. We'd love you here in Orioles' country, donkey.

Im sure if you offer the cash Dunn might take a DH role. I agree with Roch though why not let Dunn play some LF here and there i mean Scott is not going to win any gold gloves either. Dunn can be are own little Manny.
Scott is a pretty solid defensive LF. Dunn is just about the worst in the sport.

I don't let Dunn play the field consistently. One day a month in the outfield is ok just to get the regulars some rest, but not much more than that. He's a huge liability in LF and is even worse at 1B.

Except that Dunn busts his butt. He may not be good in the OF, but it's not for lack of trying. Scott hasn't been 100% ever, so it's not like Dunn would never get his LF reps. He can hang out with his former Red buddy Ryan Freel too. We'd love you here in Orioles' country, donkey.
Then I don't see a reason not to ink Dunn.

Scott is a pretty solid defensive LF. Dunn is just about the worst in the sport.

I don't let Dunn play the field consistently. One day a month in the outfield is ok just to get the regulars some rest, but not much more than that. He's a huge liability in LF and is even worse at 1B.

I would not say the worse but, If he is going to bang 40+ Homers I really can careless if he plays LF or 1st half of the month.

Archived