Maybe Frazier can play

wildcard

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

We have competition without Frazier. We have vets and depth without Frazier.

I don’t think Urias is an above average 2B, defensively. He is much better at 3B. He might be a decent UT. Unless he learns to hit the ball in the air more, the bat is not front line on a good team.

They obviously like Frazier better. If he is the guy from two years ago, so do I. If the prospects push Frazier aside, good. You want that. Until they do that, Frazier will potentially hold that spot and help the pitchers with steady defense. I still think there is something in the works. We’ll see.

The $8 million was a bit of a surprise for me, sure. They must really believe in his return to form. Somewhere, Luke Siler is grinning about this signing. 

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no logic behind it. It’s all about one thing…Elias signed him, so we agree with it. Thats it.

If the Yankees signed him, the same people praising the signing would be laughing at the Yankees for doing it.

And if Elias said, no I want to start Westburg, everyone doubting him would be saying that’s the right thing to do.

Would the Yankees go into the season assuming Westburg plays 150 games ?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's weird seeing people get all excited for prospects, how great the farm system is and then try to defend a move which blocks the very prospects they're excited about.  

Maybe because he isn’t blocking anyone? I am supposed to believe Westburg will rot in AAA for years to come? 

I was going to just look past this thread but I can’t help myself. 

This is the exact kind of a move a team trying to contend makes. Not assuming things will go well. Trying to make the club deeper. If it doesn’t work out it harms next to nothing.  

I can be ticked off they haven’t added a big SP but that has no relevance to this move for me. None. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Actually I think I did.

That said, the last thing I want to do is build a team like the Yankees.

No you didn’t, you deflected.

Would the Yankees go into 2023 season giving Westburg 600 at bats?  Even for that matter Stowers? 

They clearly aren’t building a team like the Yankees. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

No you didn’t, you deflected.

Would the Yankees go into 2023 season giving Westburg 600 at bats?  Even for that matter Stowers? 

They clearly aren’t building a team like the Yankees. 

Well, I’m not in their organization, so how the hell am I suppose to know what they would do?

But they will play rookies, so it’s possible.

I don’t get why that matters or why it’s relevant.

Edited by Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, I’m not in their organization, so how the hell am I suppose to know what they would do?

But they will play rookies, so it’s possible.

I don’t get why that matters or why it’s relevant.

You watch them play against us every year. They play top tier rookies like Torres. Westburg is a nice prospect, not at that level.  

All he is trying to do is raise the floor at a position and not make assumptions. You can’t add a player in May to replace him if he struggles. He added before. 

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You watch them play against us every year. They play top tier rookies like Torres. Westburg is a nice prospect, not at that level.  

All he is trying to do is raise the floor at a position and not make assumptions. You can’t add a player in May to replace him if he struggles. He added before. 

Lol.  

He should have raised his ceiling with real players.  He didn’t. He failed. (Or he has so far)

And on top of that, he has blocked his precious prospects with a mediocre, declining player with limited upside. Yep, brilliant plan!

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Lol.  

He should have raised his ceiling with real players.  He didn’t. He failed. (Or he has so far)

And on top of that, he has blocked his precious prospects with a mediocre, declining player with limited upside. Yep, brilliant plan!

So he should have signed an infielder to a multi year deal? Ditch the idea of Westburg at 2nd. 

Those precious prospects are forever harmed playing AAA ball for a couple of months. The horror. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

So he should have signed an infielder to a multi year deal? Ditch the idea of Westburg at 2nd. 

Those precious prospects are forever harmed playing AAA ball for a couple of months. The horror. 

He should never have signed an IFer. It was completely unnecessary and to essentially guarantee at least 450 at bats to him is even dumber.

For the umpteenth time, Adam Frazier is not the one who is going to block Ortiz or Westburg.   We can go into the season with Ortiz at SS, Westburg at 2B, and Frazier getting platoon at bats at both positions (as well as LF) against right handed pitching.  

If Ortiz and Westburg wind up being blocked, it will be because Elias failed to trade Mateo and Urias, period.     

35 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

For the umpteenth time, Adam Frazier is not the one who is going to block Ortiz or Westburg.   We can go into the season with Ortiz at SS, Westburg at 2B, and Frazier getting platoon at bats at both positions (as well as LF) against right handed pitching.  

If Ortiz and Westburg wind up being blocked, it will be because Elias failed to trade Mateo and Urias, period.     

The Os didn’t pay him 8M to platoon. He is the starter at second on day 1.