Greinke and Profar Interest

Bahama O's Fan

56 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

?

His price is set.

Well the cash price isn't the issue, the Dodgers will pay that for any team that takes him.  The price is the PR hit which would be pretty substantial.  It would help if Bauer could seem remotely remorseful.

I believe he can still pitch and pitch at a high level.  The added price to the PR hit is that he may not be the clubhouse presence of desire.

I would at least have him in to discuss how he wants to change if at all....

I could be persuaded to offer him a spot. 

Edit to add:  I think a GM looking for an edge would be remiss if he didn't have Bauer in for a chat.  If Bauer were willing to chat....

Edited by foxfield

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

It would help if Bauer could seem remotely remorseful.

Highly unlikely.  He hasn't been cleared.  The case was dropped due to lack of evidence, as I understand it.  Seems to me that any admission of wrong-doing on his part could potentially lead to charges being filed.

2 hours ago, Number5 said:

Highly unlikely.  He hasn't been cleared.  The case was dropped due to lack of evidence, as I understand it.  Seems to me that any admission of wrong-doing on his part could potentially lead to charges being filed.

Until the O's announce a signing of Bauer I don't see much point in debating...but yes, I agree with you.  But they saw the evidence and listened to the complaint and interviewed her and then dropped the charge.  Bauer could express remorse without admitting any wrong doing.  He already claims everything was consensual even if it is everything that has been speculated.

Someone is going to sign him and he is arguably the best pitcher available this entire offseason.  Certainly for $750K or so he is an upgrade that would be a clear #1 and would fit in the financial constraints this team seems to live under.

Do you want him around your wife or daughter....well of course not.  But he has been punished and done his time and is going to get a chance to play again.  As I said earlier, I would expect my GM to speak to him and see if he could be a fit.  He may not want to prove himself here, but he is going to land somewhere and I think it would be foolish to not investigate the opportunity.

Anthony Franco of MLBTR said in one of their most recent chats that he expects Profar to get 2/14 with options for the 2nd year. If we could land Profar on essentially a one year deal for 7ish million, with a 1 million buyout, then we should be all over that. It allows Santander and o DH full time. Gives us great depth. Plus we can’t let Cowser develop without being rushed. It also allows Vavra to go to AAA and harness his skills in the UTIL role. 

Yes, Profar would be a “luxury” signing, but I think we could make gains on the margins of the roster to justify it. Not a need, but helps us towards the 90 wins that it might take to make the WC without the unbalanced schedule. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

I don't get it. Other than being a switch-hitter and two years older, what does Profar bring to the team that we don't already get from Hays? A little bit higher OB% with less power. Having Stowers in RF should make Santander the full time DH, not the $7 million addition of somebody like Profar. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’d be irate if we signed Profar at this point. 

Then I’d start laughing cause I’d just figure that Elias is trolling us at that point. Frazier and Profar in the same offseason? Hilarious, Elias. Hilarious. 

There's probably more trolling upside with Rougned Odor.    Is he even going to go to camp with anybody?

He didn't earn a NRI here last year?

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’d be irate if we signed Profar at this point. 

Then I’d start laughing cause I’d just figure that Elias is trolling us at that point. Frazier and Profar in the same offseason? Hilarious, Elias. Hilarious. 

Signing Profar would let Elias send Stowers down to AAA to be a left-handed bat in the first base/corner outfield group.  Spending 1.4M guaranteed on O'Hearn, signing Mazara, Cordero, and Lester to minor-league contracts, and picking up Diaz weren't enough to supplement Cowser (and sometime in 2023 Kjersted).  We may not be enough LH bats at AAA.

42 minutes ago, EricK said:

Signing Profar would let Elias send Stowers down to AAA to be a left-handed bat in the first base/corner outfield group.  Spending 1.4M guaranteed on O'Hearn, signing Mazara, Cordero, and Lester to minor-league contracts, and picking up Diaz weren't enough to supplement Cowser (and sometime in 2023 Kjersted).  We may not be enough LH bats at AAA.

Hate.  

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I don't get it. Other than being a switch-hitter and two years older, what does Profar bring to the team that we don't already get from Hays? A little bit higher OB% with less power. Having Stowers in RF should make Santander the full time DH, not the $7 million addition of somebody like Profar. 

Hays is on the naughty list of most people on this forum.  At the All-Star break last year he was our most valuable player.  His struggles the 2nd half turned the wolves here against him.

I'll take Hays over Profar any day of the week.

47 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Hays is on the naughty list of most people on this forum.  At the All-Star break last year he was our most valuable player.  His struggles the 2nd half turned the wolves here against him.

I'll take Hays over Profar any day of the week.

At the All Star Break he was .270/.325/.454 for a .779.  I'm not sure if that made him our most valuable player but he was probably in the running.

His struggles in the 2nd half unfortunately highlighted the type of player he is, which is a free swinger who had a K/BB rate of almost a 3:1.

It's one thing to be a hacker at the plate, there have been a lot of successful players with that approach... it's another thing to watch a guy swing from his heels and look like the Tazmanian Devil for two months and just look more and more helpless.  I do believe Hays will be expendable if Cowser asserts himself in the first half of 2023, but then again I don't see how Hays really fits in here for the long term in general.  

If that puts him on my "naughty list," well then so be it.  But watching Hays and Mountcastle flailing away at sliders for the entire second half last year was insufferable, especially when they were back to back in a lineup.

That said, I'd take Hays of Profar any day of the week but that's not a ringing endorsement.  IMO, Profar is only of interest because he's versatile in the field and was once a highly touted prospect.