Greinke and Profar Interest

Bahama O's Fan

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At the All Star Break he was .270/.325/.454 for a .779.  I'm not sure if that made him our most valuable player but he was probably in the running.

His struggles in the 2nd half unfortunately highlighted the type of player he is, which is a free swinger who had a K/BB rate of almost a 3:1.

It's one thing to be a hacker at the plate, there have been a lot of successful players with that approach... it's another thing to watch a guy swing from his heels and look like the Tazmanian Devil for two months and just look more and more helpless.  I do believe Hays will be expendable if Cowser asserts himself in the first half of 2023, but then again I don't see how Hays really fits in here for the long term in general.  

If that puts him on my "naughty list," well then so be it.  But watching Hays and Mountcastle flailing away at sliders for the entire second half last year was insufferable, especially when they were back to back in a lineup.

That said, I'd take Hays of Profar any day of the week but that's not a ringing endorsement.  IMO, Profar is only of interest because he's versatile in the field and was once a highly touted prospect.  

Unless Elias trades Hays or Santander I don’t see a need for Profar. Plus the farm system actually has prospects now and all Profar would do is be a blocker.

I want Stowers or Cowser to get a chance before giving at bats to Profar. Even McKenna because maybe he develops into a solid fourth outfielder. 

Profar is going to be 30 years and I doubt he finally lives up to his top prospect ranking. Profar has had a decent career and he is what he is at this point. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Unless Elias trades Hays or Santander I don’t see a need for Profar. Plus the farm system actually has prospects now and all Profar would do is be a blocker.

I want Stowers or Cowser to get a chance before giving at bats to Profar. Even McKenna because maybe he develops into a solid fourth outfielder. 

Profar is going to be 30 years and I doubt he finally lives up to his top prospect ranking. Profar has had a decent career and he is what he is at this point. 

Absolutely.  I'm not a big believer in Stowers but I'd like to see him get at bats over someone like Profar.  And Cowser, too, obviously.

All I'm saying is that I think Profar has been able to hang around for so long because he's still kind of a name.

42 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Absolutely.  I'm not a big believer in Stowers but I'd like to see him get at bats over someone like Profar.  And Cowser, too, obviously.

All I'm saying is that I think Profar has been able to hang around for so long because he's still kind of a name.

It’s not that Profar isn’t a useful player, but the Orioles already have three solid outfielders and Profar doesn’t bring you enough to part with one of them in the lineup. 

Combine that with Stowers, Cowser and McKenna also vying for playing time, but even then Profar doesn’t bring enough to make me want to sit one of the three named above to give him at bats. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It’s not that Profar isn’t a useful player, but the Orioles already have three solid outfielders and Profar doesn’t bring you enough to part with one of them in the lineup. 

Combine that with Stowers, Cowser and McKenna also vying for playing time, but even then Profar doesn’t bring enough to make me want to sit one of the three named above to give him at bats. 

I don’t think Cowser is ready. Stowers plays against RHP. McKenna plays against some LHP. 

Profar would essentially replace Santander in COF. Santander would then be the full time DH with some occasional OF starts. Profar does not take away ABs from Hays or Stowers. 

A Profar signing means that we can trot out a lineup of 7 lefty bats vs RH SP, and 8 righty bats vs LH SP. 

Profar is not a world beater, but is a good fit for us as a switch hitter, and in the 7 hole. Plus, we get to maximize Santander’s value by keeping him healthy and fresh. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think Cowser is ready. Stowers plays against RHP. McKenna plays against some LHP. 

Profar would essentially replace Santander in COF. Santander would then be the full time DH with some occasional OF starts. Profar does not take away ABs from Hays or Stowers. 

A Profar signing means that we can trot out a lineup of 7 lefty bats vs RH SP, and 8 righty bats vs LH SP. 

Profar is not a world beater, but is a good fit for us as a switch hitter, and in the 7 hole. Plus, we get to maximize Santander’s value by keeping him healthy and fresh. 

I just don't know if you could get away with that many outfielders on a 26-man roster: Profar, Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stowers, McKenna. 6 OF? I dunno. Sure, one is kind of a full-time DH I guess. Just seems unlikely to me though. 

Profar makes a lot more sense if someone is traded or sent to AAA, but I'm not sure I'm rooting for either of those just to get Profar in here. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I just don't know if you could get away with that many outfielders on a 26-man roster: Profar, Hays, Mullins, Santander, Stowers, McKenna. 6 OF? I dunno. Sure, one is kind of a full-time DH I guess. Just seems unlikely to me though. 

Profar makes a lot more sense if someone is traded or sent to AAA, but I'm not sure I'm rooting for either of those just to get Profar in here. 

Nope there is room here for Profar as is. 

Vs RHP

Mullins L CF

AR S C

Gunnar L SS

Santander S DH

Mountcastle R 1B

Stowers L RF

Urias R 3B

Profar S LF

Frazier L 2B

McCann, Mateo, McKenna, Hays

VS LHP

Hays R RF

AR S C

Santander S DH

Mountcastle R 1B

Urias R 2B

Gunnar L 3B

Profar S LF 

Mckenna R CF

Mateo R SS

McCann, Mullins, Stowers, Frazier

7 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/royals-to-re-sign-zack-greinke.html

I definitely would have given him this and more, at least Gibson's contract 

As CoC pointed out, I'd be shocked if he would have come here for that price or even substantially more.  Also, I'd put good money on Gibson having a better '23 season than Greinke. 

Edited by Big Mac
typo

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gibson will probably pitch 50 more IP than Grienke. With more Ks. That’s about it. 

They had pretty similar FIPs last season.  I personally think the luck is bound to run out for someone who has gone from 9.0 K/9 to 4.8 K/9 in two seasons, but Greinke certainly knows how to pitch so maybe he can keep being effective while not missing bats.

Anyway, I think it's obvious Greinke didn't have much interest in pitching here or likely anywhere other than KC so I don't think we really had the option of Greinke or Gibson.  It will be interesting to see how they compare this season. 

• 4 weeks later...