Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

He gets shredded on the road and has reverse splits (lefties hit better off him over his career).  Poor K rate.  Other than eating innings, I'm not seeing the value added here. 

If I'm a team facing Irvin, I'm stacking my lineup with left handed bats and that negates the Great Wall of Camden. 

Two thumbs down.  Rather give those SP innings to Wells and Voth.  Hopefully he's just here for insurance/depth. 

I always thought Hernaiz was one of our more underrated prospects. Overshadowed by Gunnar and some other infielders. If this was a decade ago he'd easily be in our top ten. 

Edited by ChuckS

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Looking for positives:   360 innings the past two, both with 4.2 FIP.   That's kind of a floor for a #4/#5 starter.   Lefthanded, which is nice to have at OPACY.

Hopefully he can be a swing man who only starts if younger options are hurt or not performing.   If they are pencilling him AND Gibson into rotation spots at the expense of guys like DL Hall or Wells, that would be no bueno.

I’m assuming we’ll have enough innings to go around, after injuries and underperformance. Also, don’t consider Wells and Hall to be in the same category. Irvin definitely shouldn’t be taking away starts from Hall, but Irvin has showed as much or more at the ML level as Wells. 

I can't recall seeing the guy pitch, but the stats say he's a left-handed Jordan Lyles. Not sure why they would want him and Gibson blocking younger guys in the rotation. Maybe he's the long man? Either way, doesn't seem like a difference maker, maybe I'm missing something. The stats/age don't seem to suggest that the other pitcher is much of a prospect.

Just now, deward said:

I can't recall seeing the guy pitch, but the stats say he's a left-handed Jordan Lyles. Not sure why they would want him and Gibson blocking younger guys in the rotation. Maybe he's the long man? Either way, doesn't seem like a difference maker, maybe I'm missing something. The stats/age don't seem to suggest that the other pitcher is much of a prospect.

I remember he pitched well against us last year.  Infuriating because, IIRC, he was a soft tossing lefty and that's typically kryptonite for us.  Went 5 innings, but got the no-decision...Oakland won the game 2-1.  6 hits, 4 strikeouts, 2 walks, 1 earned run.

4 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I’m assuming we’ll have enough innings to go around, after injuries and underperformance. Also, don’t consider Wells and Hall to be in the same category. Irvin definitely shouldn’t be taking away starts from Hall, but Irvin has showed as much or more at the ML level as Wells. 

Wells has better stuff and gets more strikeouts than Irvin. I'd rather see him in the rotation.

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t see Hall in the starting rotation. Unless at Norfolk he throws great. 

His Baseball Savant page is pretty much all blue (and some of them bottom 10%) outside of an excellent BB%. Seems like a very generic pitch to contact back end rotation / swing man lefty, but that has some value in our stadium given his great BB rates and durability. He doesn’t have big LH/RH splits so that helps as a SP. 4 years of control is also very nice.

Hopefully the Orioles can up the velocity or change the pitch mix for more Ks. He does throw a lot of fastballs (around 60%), particularly for a guy who only averages 91, so maybe there’s some gains to make there.

Hernaiz is a good prospect, performed well at his age last year. But the odds that he’d ever make an impact on this team are very low. Have to give something to get something I suppose. Irvin is something, just not a whole lot of something. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I like the trade.  Hernaiz is a good prospect but we have a lot of middle infielders in the  system.   Irvin is a control lefty who gives up a  lot of homers so he may benefit more than most pitchers from OPACY.   

Imagine an Oriole fan waking up from a yearlong coma and reading this post and thinking he is in some kind of twilight zone bizarro world!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Don't hate it. Don't love it. Decent addition.

Hernaiz had a long way to go - he had to upend some combo of Henderson/Mateo/Urias, Westburg, Ortiz, and Norby, not to mention Mayo and eventually Holliday, for IF action. 

I realize everyone is concerned about him taking a rotation spot. But the reality is this team needs to cover 1400-1500 innings next year. Gibson and 4 young arms has the potential to do a lot of straining on the entire staff. This gives us 160-180 innings with a high floor. This allows us to *start* with Gibson, Irvin, GrayRod, Bradish, Kremer/Wells/Hall...and adjust accordingly throughout the years.

• Upvote 1