Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

Everyone thinks Voth, but I think it’s Kremer that is fighting for his job. Look at the bullpen now,

Bautista, Perez, Tate, Givens, Baker, Wells, Akin, Kremer/Voth

The best news is that Spenser Watkins is our #6 at, and unless multiple injuries happen then Zimmerman and Baumann are just mop up guys as needed. 

I’m meh the trade (he’s probably not much worse than Wacha), but it still amazes me that we chose to modify our beautiful ballpark just so we could staff our rotation with pitchers like this (as opposed to signing actua “good” pitchers). It certainly is an interesting approach to the game and I guess it sort of worked last season.

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Everyone thinks Voth, but I think it’s Kremer that is fighting for his job. Look at the bullpen now,

Bautista, Perez, Tate, Givens, Baker, Wells, Akin, Kremer/Voth

The best news is that Spenser Watkins is our #6 at, and unless multiple injuries happen then Zimmerman and Baumann are just mop up guys as needed. 

Why? Kremer was our best SP last year? I’m not saying he is some lock to continue to be but I can’t see on what grounds he has not already earned a spot. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yup. take. Who says that we can’t mix and match Voth/Wells in depending on matchups?  A platoon back of the rotation?  Flexibility. Elias has been preaching that. 

We matched up Wei Yen Chen and look what he did.  The Marlins gave him darn near 100 million. 

We can get a productive back end SP without having to give up $15 million(Wacha), and without losing  draft pick(Eovaldi), then this is a win. Hernaiz is a prospect, but was going to get bumped off SS at Bowie when Jackson Holliday makes his way there. 

Grow the bats. Buy the Arms. We just traded our 6th best SS prospect for a LH SP coming off a 2 WAR season. 

I agree. Irvin also is under control for 4 more seasons. Seems like a win to me. 

3 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

I’m meh the trade (he’s probably not much worse than Wacha), but it still amazes me that we chose to modify our beautiful ballpark just so we could staff our rotation with pitchers like this (as opposed to signing actua “good” pitchers). It certainly is an interesting approach to the game and I guess it sort of worked last season.

Please speak of these “good” pitchers that were actually willing to sign here?  Taillon?  What would we have had of paid him over the Cubs?  Kluber?  Same ERA+, but also chose Boston. Eovaldi?  That’s a risky contract, lost draft pick, and he chose Texas. 

It looks like we were left without a dance partner, and Elias made the best of it. 

Irvin is also going to pitch when we’ve lost nobody in this rebuild and they’re in their primes. Hernaiz was probably 2.5 years away, which means maybe No Mullins, Santander, and/or Hays. 

This is a nice littler risk mitigated trade that has a ton of value because we’re getting a LH SP at the beginning of our window. 

Cole Irvin is a 29 year old finesse lefty pitcher with a 90 mph fast ball.  His home ( in a big park) and away splits are poor.   The has options left.   He is making the minimum.

I think Gibson, Bradish, Kremer,  Grayson, Wells, or Voth all look better than him.   He looks like pitching depth with no guarantee that he makes the 26 man roster. 

Good inning eater.  Holt must see something he can fix.   I think he competes for a spot in ST.

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why? Kremer was our best SP last year? I’m not saying he is some lock to continue to be but I can’t see on what grounds he has not already earned a spot. 

Right, I think Kremer would have to either be injured or absolutely implode in spring training to not earn a rotation spot.  And I'm in the camp that expects some significant regression from him this season. 

9 minutes ago, HakunaSakata said:

we chose to modify our beautiful ballpark just so we could staff our rotation with pitchers like this (as opposed to signing actua “good” pitchers). It certainly is an interesting approach to the game and I guess it sort of worked last season.

Nothing amazing about it. Pitchers are very expensive and we will probably never get meaningfully involved in that market with this ownership.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Please speak of these “good” pitchers that were actually willing to sign here?  Taillon?  What would we have had of paid him over the Cubs?  Kluber?  Same ERA+, but also chose Boston. Eovaldi?  That’s a risky contract, lost draft pick, and he chose Texas. 

It looks like we were left without a dance partner, and Elias made the best of it. 

Pitchers, like all FA, will sign where teams offer the best contracts. 

Upside strikeout guys: Grayson, Bradish, and Kremer

Innings eaters: Gibson and Irvin

Swingmen: Voth, Wells, Hall

Emergency: Zimmermann, Baumann, Watkins

Late season reinforcement if things go well: Rom, Povich if he moves quickly out of AA

Could all change quickly but that's how I see it.