Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

1 minute ago, Big Mac said:

Right, I think Kremer would have to either be injured or absolutely implode in spring training to not earn a rotation spot.  And I'm in the camp that expects some significant regression from him this season. 

And of course he'll be away from Sarasota for at least a week, maybe more, during the "meat" of the preseason (March 5 - ??).

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Cole Irvin is a 29 year old finesse lefty pitcher with a 90 mph fast ball.  His home ( in a big park) and away splits are poor.   The has options left.   He is making the minimum.

I think Gibson, Bradish, Kremer,  Grayson, Wells, or Voth all look better than him.   He looks like pitching depth with no guarantee that he makes the 26 man roster. 

Good inning eater.  Holt must see something he can fix.   I think he competes for a spot in ST.

You honestly think a guy who threw 180 innings last year is NOT gonna make this rotation? No chance. He's in barring injury. 

Wells is good but probably better in the pen. He's injury-prone.

Voth has no track record. I like him but he might be a weapon out of the pen and a perfect swingman. 

• Upvote 3

Seems like a decent trade. At first glance it seems like Athletic fans are kinda bummed about losing the pitcher. 

I think Hernaiz has a chance to be pretty good from what I’m read. Thing is, even if half of our infield prospects work out, there wouldn’t be room for him.

An interesting note: 

I think Hernaiz has to be protected from the Rule 5 after this season. Will be interesting to see if he does enough this season to warrant a 40-man spot on the A's roster. 

Looking ahead, there's no way the O's would have protected him going into 2024. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

Sweet, sweet MLB minimum in 2023!

I noticed the Fastball Spin 4 on that Savant image - he should be quite the contrast from the typical teammate.    It hasn't translated into strong groundball rates though.

Like John Means, he appears to be great at avoiding walks.

What an exciting day for Darell Hernaiz!    He'll have a maximized establishing himself in MLB opportunity.

A "talent for talent" Scout merit badge for Mike Elias.     Unlike who probably would have been necessary to win Pablo, I don't think Hernaiz limits the Club's opportunity to win bids for some genuinely good pitcher this summer.

Is the DL Hall biography tonight going to carry all the way through his Live Reaction to this acquistion?

Just now, Just Regular said:

Sweet, sweet MLB minimum in 2023!

I noticed the Fastball Spin 4 on that Savant image - he should be quite the contrast from the typical teammate.    It hasn't translated into strong groundball rates though.

Like John Means, he appears to be great at avoiding walks.

What an exciting day for Darell Hernaiz!    He'll have a maximized establishing himself in MLB opportunity.

A "talent for talent" Scout merit badge for Mike Elias.     Unlike who probably would have been necessary to win Pablo, I don't think Hernaiz limits the Club's opportunity to win bids for some genuinely good pitcher this summer.

Is the DL Hall biography tonight going to carry all the way through his Live Reaction to this acquistion?

I don't know but at least tonight's Hot Stove show on WBAL will be worth listening to on the drive home from work.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

An interesting note: 

I think Hernaiz has to be protected from the Rule 5 after this season. Will be interesting to see if he does enough this season to warrant a 40-man spot on the A's roster. 

Looking ahead, there's no way the O's would have protected him going into 2024. 

Why wouldn’t we have protected Hernaiz? There’s still plenty of dead weight on the 40 man. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Meh …call me unimpressed. A 4.00 ERA pitcher with a terrible K per 9. And a 5 era minor leaguer. Don’t know much about Hernaiz but we’ve added to our pile of mediocre players

Tough crowd. If we signed Irvin as a FA for 3/21 then everyone would be impressed. I think people just want to see us spend millions. Hernaiz is probably a utility guy in the minors when Holliday is in Bowie for the 2nd half of the season. 

This trade was the very definition of trading from a strength. Hernaiz’s value is at SS. He was never going to be a SS for us. 

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Gibson, Bradish, Kremer,  Grayson, Wells, or Voth all look better than him.   He looks like pitching depth with no guarantee that he makes the 26 man roster. 

Good inning eater.  Holt must see something he can fix.   I think he competes for a spot in ST.

I dunno....my veteranosity Spider sense's Game 2 starter instinct is only curbed by that being a Fenway game.     

This more or less settles for me an expected Gibson-Kremer-Bradish-Irvin first four games, with the hope both Wells and Voth are in the bullpen behind Grayson.

If you've already bet the Under on Grayson Rodriguez MLB camp innings, congratulations.

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Why wouldn’t we have protected Hernaiz? There’s still plenty of dead weight on the 40 man. 

It's possible, but there's not a lot of room for more infielders on the roster. We already have Henderson, Ortiz, Vavra, Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle. Frazier will be off next year. But then we are probably going to add Westburg this season at some point. Then Norby potentially. Not to mention Cowser. 

Hernaiz would have to make it to AAA this season IMO and look ML-ready or usable as a UTIL. Otherwise, who's gonna select him? But he just barely got to AA last season. The A's will have no problem adding him to their 40-man. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

It's possible, but there's not a lot of room for more infielders on the roster. We already have Henderson, Ortiz, Vavra, Mateo, Urias, Mountcastle. Frazier will be off next year. But then we are probably going to add Westburg this season at some point. Then Norby potentially. 

Hernaiz would have to make it to AAA this season IMO and look ML-ready. Otherwise, who's gonna select him? 

Exactly. Hernaiz was never going to be a SS for us. Plus, 40 man issues. Those are two factors that you have to consider. 

A live Orioles transaction to stress test Baseball Trade Values - they were forecasting Hernaiz for just a few million surplus, and Irvin to be in the $15mm range, so their algorithm will think BAL did well.

But OAK has always had particular tastes in its future assets, and same algorithm hated their take in the Murphy deal.

A mid-range Orioles prospect pulling a return like this perhaps a hopeful indicator for our kids getting valued well by another Club in real life, at least in one instance.

It seems to me their algorithm bakes prospect failure rates into its outputs somewhat strongly, as probably it should from an actuarial perspective.

• Upvote 1