Orioles Acquire LHP Cole Irvin from the A's for Darrel Hernaiz

LTO's

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Please speak of these “good” pitchers that were actually willing to sign here?  Taillon?  What would we have had of paid him over the Cubs?  Kluber?  Same ERA+, but also chose Boston. Eovaldi?  That’s a risky contract, lost draft pick, and he chose Texas. 

It looks like we were left without a dance partner, and Elias made the best of it. 

The not willing to sign here is an old excuse. If you pay them enough they'll sign. I agree on Taillon, but there were plenty of FA pitchers who signed for less than four years who would have made this team better.  That said, I'm not convinced the Orioles seriously pursued any of the notable FA pitchers. 

1 minute ago, HakunaSakata said:

The not willing to sign here is an old excuse. If you pay them enough they'll sign. I agree on Taillon, but there were plenty of FA pitchers who signed for less than four years who would have made this team better.  That said, I'm not convinced the Orioles seriously pursued any of the notable FA pitchers. 

We did, nobody came here. We called Grienke, he’s KC or bust, so we made this move. I’d rather have Mullins and this trade, versus Pablo Lopez. Sure we could overpay for Wacha or Eovaldi, but why?

Like Elias said, this is a really easy roster for the manager to manage. Match up lineups. Match up SPs. Match up defense. We have a very versatile team. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We did, nobody came here. We called Grienke, he’s KC or bust, so we made this move. I’d rather have Mullins and this trade, versus Pablo Lopez. Sure we could overpay for Wacha or Eovaldi, but why?

Like Elias said, this is a really easy roster for the manager to manage. Match up lineups. Match up SPs. Match up defense. We have a very versatile team. 

Did we offer to pay them enough?

21 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Meh …call me unimpressed. A 4.00 ERA pitcher with a terrible K per 9. And a 5 era minor leaguer. Don’t know much about Hernaiz but we’ve added to our pile of mediocre players

His career minor league ERA was 3.05.  Never doubt Roll Tide’s ability to just make stuff up. 

• Haha 5
  • Downvote 1

I dunno... I kind of like it.  He would have had the second lowest WHIP among our starters last year by .03 points.  He would have led the team in innings pitched and he has a career WHIP of 1.2 over 400 innings.  And, he averaged 6 innings per start last year.  I like the idea of a guy who can eat innings, keep the game close, and doesn't cost a lot.  You can never have too much pitching.  We can always trade him if the youngsters come through.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't mind this trade, but Eovaldi at 2 years $34M was not an overpay.  I am still annoyed that the Orioles did not sign him for that or a similar amount).

At some point we really have to wonder about a 6-man rotation.  Or if they'll piggyback some guys.  Crowded isn't the right word.  Maybe congested?  Phlegmy?  

Not sure who said it on the thread, but it could end up in the A's favor years from now.  But I like it in the moment for what it is.  It does add ML level depth.  It deals from MI depth.  It reallocated profits toward an org weakness getting Virbitsky.  

If things break right with Grayson/Kremer/Bradish, then Irvin's 4 years of team control "should" mean no Lyles/Gibson-types next year.  

• Upvote 1

I like this. Better than signing Wacha or Greinke because you have him for four years if he pitches well. Giving up Hernaiz doesn't impact the system much. 

We can complain that the upper tier FAs would have been better (they would have and we should have gotten one) but in isolation this is a strong move.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I have a question for you. More value… Hernaiz or a the draft picks we would’ve lost to sign a QO SP?

Off the top of my head I'd say Hernaiz is roughly equivalent in value to a late second round pick at this point.  I certainly wouldn't expect a late second round pick to end up being more than Hernaiz is.

I have a question for you.  More value....Irvin or a free agent pitcher that received a Qualifying Offer?

Edited by Can_of_corn

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

I like this. Better than signing Wacha or Greinke because you have him for four years if he pitches well. Giving up Hernaiz doesn't impact the system much. 

We can complain that the upper tier FAs would have been better (they would have and we should have gotten one) but in isolation this is a strong move.

I don't think picking up a below average pitcher is something that can be called a strong move.

It's a move.