RZNJ

We need some help from a subscriber.   Looks like:

2. Henderson

12. Rodríguez 

15. Holliday 

73. Westburg

85. Hall

98. Ortiz

I saw the list but am guessing at positions from memory.  I either missed Cowser or Law omitted him.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Paul in Virginia said:

Cowser wasn't in his Top 100.

Keith is tweaking us again.  Holliday ranked behind Termarr Johnson.   Henderson not #1.   Cowser not even top 100.    I think he’s gone off the rails on Cowser.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Keith is tweaking us again.  Holliday ranked behind Termarr Johnson.   Henderson not #1.   Cowser not even top 100.    I think he’s gone off the rails on Cowser.

I think his focus has been shifting away from baseball for years anyway.  That's just how he gained a platform to bridge into his political interests.  It is his list.  I tend to agree with you on Law's tilt, but I'm going to chalk it up to his distractions...  

A year or two ago, I subscribed to his podcast.  It felt like it was 1/3 baseball, 2/3 anything else.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I think his focus has been shifting away from baseball for years anyway.  That's just how he gained a platform to bridge into his political interests.  It is his list.  I tend to agree with you on Law's tilt, but I'm going to chalk it up to his distractions...  

A year or two ago, I subscribed to his podcast.  It felt like it was 1/3 baseball, 2/3 anything else.

I listened to a few of his podcasts.  He’s insufferable. 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Rodriguez was 15

The Grayson ranking has me scratching my head the most.  Once you get down the list the variance means less (ala Cowser) IMO.  

What other pitchers does Law have ranked ahead of Grayson?  Anyone not named Perez and Painter? 

Grayson posted great numbers in 2022 until he was sidelined with a non-arm injury.  Brennan Davis got hurt and posted crap in 2022 and is ranked 50.  I'm sure Law has some type of matrix, but I just can't figure out his logic.  IMO, he opens himself up to being questioned on purpose... to get clicks.

Just now, btdart20 said:

The Grayson ranking has me scratching my head the most.  Once you get down the list the variance means less (ala Cowser) IMO.  

What other pitchers does Law have ranked ahead of Grayson?  Anyone not named Perez and Painter? 

Grayson posted great numbers in 2022 until he was sidelined with a non-arm injury.  Brennan Davis got hurt and posted crap in 2022 and is ranked 50.  I'm sure Law has some type of matrix, but I just can't figure out his logic.  IMO, he opens himself up to being questioned on purpose... to get clicks.

For context on Davis, he's in the 90's on MLB.com's list.

19 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

10. Eury Perez

12. Kyle Harrison

13. Andrew Painter

Rodriguez was no. 14 on Law’s list last year.   Here’s a snippet of this year’s write up:

“When he did pitch, he was his usual self, sitting 95-96 mph, touching 99, with a plus changeup, two distinct breaking balls that are both average or slightly above, and even a cutter he threw a few times a game. The changeup is so good that it’s even his best pitch against right-handed batters, making up for the slider, which is his worst offering, with just average spin and break and not much velocity separation from the curveball. He could improve the slider given his incredible arm strength, but he also may not need the fourth pitch. I’ve heard more from scouts who view Rodriguez not as a No. 1 starter, but as a good No. 2 for a long time, especially since he has no history of arm trouble. It’s also possible that the fastball/change combo is so good that he ends up an ace even without a plus breaking pitch to go with them.”

Here’s a few blurbs about the defense of Henderson, Holliday, Westburg and Ortiz:

Henderson: “He’s at least an average defender at short, more than good enough to stay at the position, but is at least a 70 defender at third, and could have a Scott Rolen-like upside if he ends up at the hot corner.”

Holliday: “He’s a plus runner who shows plenty of range at shortstop with enough arm for the left side of the infield, but if he outgrows short or ends up lacking the footwork for it, he could move to center field.”

Westburg: “plays above-average defense at second or third, giving him a bunch of 55s on his scouting report that adds up to a solid to above-average regular because of where he plays…above-average defense at third or average defense at shortstop.”

Ortiz: “He’s a 60 defender at short, with great actions and soft hands, possibly the best defender of the Orioles’ many, many shortstop prospects.”

Edited by Frobby

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

10. Eury Perez

12. Kyle Harrison

13. Andrew Painter

Interesting on Harrison.  His velo sits in the low-90's (mid/upper 90's for Grayson).  Harrison is working on a 'sweepy slider' which if the guys we have throwing the sweeper is any indication, then it's like his other stuff wasn't plus either.  FG sees him as a mid-rotation guy.  He's got awesome K% but borderline awful BB% (probably why he's throwing the sweeper).  Where Grayson has the awesome K%, average BB%, and a much better GB%.  Harrison is 2 years younger.  Grayson is 6'5"/220.  Harrison is 6'2"/200.  The only thing I see that could give Harrison the advantage is that he's a lefty.  

Who knows where things go from here for either one, but I like the floor of Grayson better.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s Law’s explanation of Cowser: “Didn’t hit LHP at all.  Struggled very badly against offspeed stuff.  Corner OF who has to hit.”

I haven't got the time or motivation but I'd like to see Cowser's splits against LHP vs. all of the LH hitters on the list against LHP's.    I have a feeling Cowser didn't struggle against them much more than most LH batters.    I do see Cowser as a RF although others seem to think he can hang in CF a bit.    The off speed thing does make some sense and would be a concern.   That might explain the high strikeout numbers.

As I've said before, I like Cowser's swing over anyone in the sysem, majors or minors.   I think he has big time offensive potential.   The off speed stuff could be his achilles heel.    I'm not so worried about the LHP aspect.   He seemed to adjust as the season went on even after that horrible start at Norfolk.    

Edited by RZNJ

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Here’s Law’s explanation of Cowser: “Didn’t hit LHP at all.  Struggled very badly against offspeed stuff.  Corner OF who has to hit.”

It’s justifiable to leave Cowser off. I wouldn’t but I think people forgot about all the strikeouts, especially early in the year.