Elias hints that more prospect trades could come

Frobby

Steve Melewski reported on Mike Elias’ answers to fan Q&A at today’s caravan event.  Here’s a few quotes:

“We are in a mode now where we are really, really focused on winning and trying to increase our chances to get into the playoffs as much as possible," Elias said. "And it is going to start coming more at the expense of the player development side in the minor leagues. We just traded a prospect (Darrell Hernaiz) that we really liked for (A’s pitcher) Cole Irvin. So we’re starting to make those tradeoffs a lot more.”

“I think we’ve got three great middle infield prospects right now at Triple-A," stated Elias. "Connor Norby, who is primarily a second baseman, Jordan Westburg, who can play really all the spots, and Joey Ortiz, who is like a defensive-wizard kind of shortstop. It’s a great problem to have, to have too many shortstops or too many middle infielders. You can move them all over the diamond, they can play other positions and other teams are always looking, wanting them. That is how we got Cole Irvin, trading from the depth.

“It will sort itself out over the course of the year. … It’s the least of our worries, having too many shortstops and it’s one of the things that is healthiest about our organization right now.”

Elias was asked if the club could still add a player or another starting pitcher.

“Yeah, we’re still working on stuff," he said. "I can’t predict, there are not a ton of free agents left. Especially premier ones. But it’s very possible that we sign another major league free agent before we head to camp. We also might have moves during camp. In terms of the starting rotation, the thing we feel best about with this group is the numbers, the depth. … We’re going to have nine, 10, 11 starters on our 40-man roster when we go into spring training. I feel that’s a good number to pick from and we’ll keep monitoring opportunities the next few weeks.”

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/hyde-and-elias-take-fan-questions-as-birdland-caravan-kicks-off-at-bel-air-high-school

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I wish I could believe him when he says that the organization is focused on winning now.  Maybe that's his focus, but it doesn't seem like ownership's focus.  

I have little doubt they have a focus on trying to win.  They are just not going to do it by spending 200 million on a free agent player.  There is an argument to be made that the just spending money approach doesn't guarantee success.  The true measurement will be is when it is time to pay their home grown players or they just choose to sell them off for more prospects.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So Ortiz is a defensive wizard, eh?  Wonder who's gonna take that quote and run with it.

Sure, I'll bite!  This is why some of us want to see Mateo on the bench and Ortiz playing instead.  A lot of reports have a similar idea, that Ortiz is REALLY good with the glove, so the drop off defensively should be minor.  And Ortiz at least has the potential to be a good bat, while I think that possibility is starting to fade for Mateo.  Outside of an extremely hot 6 week or so period, Mateo was REALLY poor at the plate.  Give Ortiz his chance!  

There, I ran with it!  Happy?

At first blush, I took Elias’ first quote as meaning they would look to trade more prospects. That sounds great.

Then, it occurred to me the possibility they shift their asset allocation back to major league salary over minor league development staff and such. That would be awful. 

6 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

At first blush, I took Elias’ first quote as meaning they would look to trade more prospects. That sounds great.

Then, it occurred to me the possibility they shift their asset allocation back to major league salary over minor league development staff and such. That would be awful. 

That would be awful.  It would really cut into ROI.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, forphase1 said:

Sure, I'll bite!  This is why some of us want to see Mateo on the bench and Ortiz playing instead.  A lot of reports have a similar idea, that Ortiz is REALLY good with the glove, so the drop off defensively should be minor.  And Ortiz at least has the potential to be a good bat, while I think that possibility is starting to fade for Mateo.  Outside of an extremely hot 6 week or so period, Mateo was REALLY poor at the plate.  Give Ortiz his chance!  

There, I ran with it!  Happy?

Sure. But you weren’t….nevermind.