Elias hints that more prospect trades could come

Frobby

7 hours ago, Aglets said:

Whoever asked him about all those infield prospects at AAA sounds a very widely read and intellectual powerhouse of a fan.

I bet he was incredibly sharply dressed too and has the most winning smile you can imagine.

You know.  Just a theory.    😉

He must be some kind of super-genius!

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

“I think we’ve got three great middle infield prospects right now at Triple-A," stated Elias.

Other orgs have quality MI depth too.  It essentially boils down to maximizing value and a willingness to do a deal by two (or more) teams.  

“We are in a mode now where we are really, really focused on winning and trying to increase our chances to get into the playoffs as much as possible," Elias said. "And it is going to start coming more at the expense of the player development side in the minor leagues. We just traded a prospect (Darrell Hernaiz) that we really liked for (A’s pitcher) Cole Irvin. So we’re starting to make those tradeoffs a lot more.”

Elias was asked if the club could still add a player or another starting pitcher.

“Yeah, we’re still working on stuff," he said. "I can’t predict, there are not a ton of free agents left. Especially premier ones. But it’s very possible that we sign another major league free agent before we head to camp. We also might have moves during camp. In terms of the starting rotation, the thing we feel best about with this group is the numbers, the depth. … We’re going to have nine, 10, 11 starters on our 40-man roster when we go into spring training. I feel that’s a good number to pick from and we’ll keep monitoring opportunities the next few weeks.”

Other than Wacha, I have no idea who a FA could be...  Maybe they still have a 1-year offer dangling out there if he wants it?

As far as the ML rotation goes, I have to think he'll be targeting a higher upside (with some team control) than Irvin IF he makes another deal.  It would likely involve trading away someone currently in the rotation (or the 6th man) with a prospect.

Or maybe has something in the hopper if there's a ST injury.

“I think we’ve got three great middle infield prospects right now at Triple-A," stated Elias.

Other orgs have quality MI depth too.  It essentially boils down to maximizing value and a willingness to do a deal by two (or more) teams.  

“We are in a mode now where we are really, really focused on winning and trying to increase our chances to get into the playoffs as much as possible," Elias said. "And it is going to start coming more at the expense of the player development side in the minor leagues. We just traded a prospect (Darrell Hernaiz) that we really liked for (A’s pitcher) Cole Irvin. So we’re starting to make those tradeoffs a lot more.”

Elias was asked if the club could still add a player or another starting pitcher.

“Yeah, we’re still working on stuff," he said. "I can’t predict, there are not a ton of free agents left. Especially premier ones. But it’s very possible that we sign another major league free agent before we head to camp. We also might have moves during camp. In terms of the starting rotation, the thing we feel best about with this group is the numbers, the depth. … We’re going to have nine, 10, 11 starters on our 40-man roster when we go into spring training. I feel that’s a good number to pick from and we’ll keep monitoring opportunities the next few weeks.”

Other than Wacha, I have no idea who a FA could be...  Maybe they still have a 1-year offer dangling out there if he wants it?

As far as the ML rotation goes, I have to think he'll be targeting a higher upside (with some team control) than Irvin IF he makes another deal.  It would likely involve trading away someone currently in the rotation (or the 6th man) with a prospect.

Or maybe has something in the hopper if there's a ST injury.

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The fact that we just traded a prospect for a LH starter should be a clue as to the plan for Hall. 

Could be. Part of the plan could also be to give DL a LH mentor with success, kind of a role model to show he can get outs without overthrowing, by pitching not overthrowing.

Keith Law's podcast comments on DL Hall, Glass Half Full, mostly ran like, paraphrasing "he'll be really good if he throws enough strikes.   He has the athleticism, he doesn't have gigantor levers that are tricky to coordinate....I don't really understand why he can't throw enough strikes."

TBR's developmental successes with Glasnow and McClanahan - on a basic level it was getting them to not walk the world.     That's mostly what I see the job as here.    A candidate for Davey Johnson's aim it down the middle and let your lack of precise control take it to the edge gameplan.

Adjacent, I heard Eno Sarris mention recently that Command not Stuff is the better indicator if a Pitcher can hold up facing a high number of Batters Faced per outing.     Lyles, Gibson and Irvin live to keep Bryan Baker fresh.

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

So Ortiz is a defensive wizard, eh?  Wonder who's gonna take that quote and run with it.

What's controversial about that? I've already said he's the best defensive shortstop I've seen coming up through the system since I've been covering them. A young Machado was probably the best before him.

He said their offseason moves “clicked off our exact wishlist”

If you believe that, it's disconcerting.  Sure, from a position standpoint, getting a backup C, a starter, bullpen arm, etc. he added pieces from his list.  But the guys he added leave something to be desired.