Elias hints that more prospect trades could come

Frobby

1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

Other orgs have quality MI depth too.  It essentially boils down to maximizing value and a willingness to do a deal by two (or more) teams.  

Other than Wacha, I have no idea who a FA could be...  Maybe they still have a 1-year offer dangling out there if he wants it?

As far as the ML rotation goes, I have to think he'll be targeting a higher upside (with some team control) than Irvin IF he makes another deal.  It would likely involve trading away someone currently in the rotation (or the 6th man) with a prospect.

Or maybe has something in the hopper if there's a ST injury.

Bauer is a “premier” FA. 

My guess with the Hall situation is that they will stretch him out as a starter, but they know it will take an injury to make the major league rotation. Depending on how he looks (basically how many strikes he's throwing), it's not out of the question that they decide to move him to the bullpen, particularly if there is an injury or implosion by Akin or Perez.

The Orioles would really like to have 3 lefties in the pen with Akin keeping that long role. Hall could be that 3rd lefty if they team decides his future really is in the pen.

I certainly understand the reluctance to make that call but we saw flashes of what he could be out there at the end of last season. Saying that, the Hall we saw early last year as a starter was very impressive at times as well, and he held his stuff well into the 90 pitch area.

Ay the end of the day he can strike guys out with three pitches (fastball, change, slider) and he'll even flash an interesting curveball at times so he's a 4-pitch guy who can miss bats. That's a tough call to send to the pen.

Now, if it's me, I'm going to send him back to AAA (Sorry SG ;) ) and put him in the rotation and have give him at least 5-6 starts as long as everyone stays healthy on the big league team. Now, if Perez suffers some regression and the team ends up with a late inning left-handed pitcher need, it's going to be hard not to bring him up and give him that role.

I've seen some evaluators out there kind of give up on Hall and I think they've done that prematurely. While I'm not convinced he's a starter long term due to a lot of deep counts, I do think he's going to end up an impact pitcher in some role at the big league level.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bauer is a “premier” FA. 

I don't know if we want to rehash this argument, but Bauer is the only guy out there that could be a TOR for this team this year, assuming he looks like he did prior to his suspension.

I'd much rather have him at the top of the rotation than Gibson (From a pitching standpoint).

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My guess with the Hall situation is that they will stretch him out as a starter, but they know it will take an injury to make the major league rotation. Depending on how he looks (basically how many strikes he's throwing), it's not out of the question that they decide to move him to the bullpen, particularly if there is an injury or implosion by Akin or Perez.

The Orioles would really like to have 3 lefties in the pen with Akin keeping that long role. Hall could be that 3rd lefty if they team decides his future really is in the pen.

I certainly understand the reluctance to make that call but we saw flashes of what he could be out there at the end of last season. Saying that, the Hall we saw early last year as a starter was very impressive at times as well, and he held his stuff well into the 90 pitch area.

Ay the end of the day he can strike guys out with three pitches (fastball, change, slider) and he'll even flash an interesting curveball at times so he's a 4-pitch guy who can miss bats. That's a tough call to send to the pen.

Now, if it's me, I'm going to send him back to AAA (Sorry SG ;) ) and put him in the rotation and have give him at least 5-6 starts as long as everyone stays healthy on the big league team. Now, if Perez suffers some regression and the team ends up with a late inning left-handed pitcher need, it's going to be hard not to bring him up and give him that role.

I've seen some evaluators out there kind of give up on Hall and I think they've done that prematurely. While I'm not convinced he's a starter long term due to a lot of deep counts, I do think he's going to end up an impact pitcher in some role at the big league level.

Why are you saying sorry to me?  Been saying all offseason that he should go to AAA to start. Putting him in the pen to start the year would be stupid on every level imaginable imo.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Ah, I was tracking that "burn." lol

So while we're here, you think he's the 2nd best defensive SS we've had come through the system since Machado?

Granted, that's not all that long ago and it's not like we've been churning out SS prospects left and right until recently so it's not like I can think of someone else who could lay claim to being a great defender at SS that we've had come through the ranks other than Mateo (who really wasn't developed by us).

I've read your scouting briefs on him but I guess I'm looking for a little more.  You think Ortiz is THAT legit with the glove?  60, 65?  Higher?

I think it makes a lot of sense to still make a trade for a starting outfielder before the season starts.  I think Santander gets most of his AB's from the DH spot this season opening up a lot of AB's for a new corner OF.  Based on the amount of playing time Stowers got last year when he was promoted tells me Elias / Hyde are not that high on him to be that guy.  Cowser is probably coming but I don't think anyone expects him to make the team out of spring training.

I don't know who the target would be but I think a package of Stowers + some combination of our infield depth at the prospect and major league level for an upgrade in the outfield makes the team a lot better and makes more sense of the Frazier signing.

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why are you saying sorry to me?  Been saying all offseason that he should go to AAA to start. Putting him in the pen to start the year would be stupid on every level imaginable imo.

Hyperbole much? lol

I thought you were on the Hall has nothing to prove in AAA mantra, but sometimes I lose track of what according to you "would be stupid on every level imaginable." ;)

With Wells, Voth, Watkins and Zimmermann around, I'm not overly concerned if there's a need in the bullpen for a left-hander and Hall gets that job. It really just depends on the health and success of the current left-handed reliever options with Vespi out.

Let me give you a scenario then. Perez gets hurt or shows up in spring training and seems to have lost his command again or Akin is goes down with injury, who do you replace them with? Darwinzon Hernandez is the only other current potential option other than Hall, so I do think there is situation where it makes sense that Hall makes the team as a Left-handed reliever. In theory Rom could be given a shot, but I think he's definitaly a guy they want to keep looking at as a starter.

This is one of the areas where Elias did not find much depth this offseason (may not have been a lot out there I don't know) and there's not a lot of depth in the system when it comes to left-handed reliever options.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

So while we're here, you think he's the 2nd best defensive SS we've had come through the system since Machado?

Granted, that's not all that long ago and it's not like we've been churning out SS prospects left and right until recently so it's not like I can think of someone else who could lay claim to being a great defender at SS that we've had come through the ranks other than Mateo (who really wasn't developed by us).

I've read your scouting briefs on him but I guess I'm looking for a little more.  You think Ortiz is THAT legit with the glove?  60, 65?  Higher?

I think Tony's actually saying Ortiz is the best fielding SS prospect we've had in the last ~30 years, period. Above Machado. But that before Ortiz, Machado was the best.