Mixed feelings about the offseason thus far

Sports Guy

I am totally against Garland but I will say this...For a 1-2 year deal at 5-6 million a year, I would sign him. That may be all he ends up with.

I'm against adding Garland also, but a deal like the one you just mentioned would be solid for us IMO. 2/10-12 would allow us to have another SP who should consistently give us 6 IP and maybe eliminate the need for a 13 man staff. Plus, it doesn't force us to rush any of the Big 3 to Baltimore, make them earn their way here.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sherrill has no value. Why the hell would you even trade him? Home slice was tradeable near the All Star game since he had stellar numbers, then afterwards? Injury, injury, injury. Ends up with a 1.500 WHIP, an ERA near 5, and an ERA+ of 96. And not to mention a BB/9 of 5.57. Last year his ERA+ was 183. If you're going to trade the fella (and he's under club control for awhile), do it when his value is high.

Sherrill has his most value as a LOOGY. At the deadline I could see a contender, desparate for bullpen help, giving us a nice return if we use him to his strengths.

I'd rather have the draft picks than Huff. Let him walk after this season, and get the picks.

Did you consider that Pedro Beato was the O's 2006 sandwich pick and after three seasons he finished at Frederick with a 5.85 ERA. He is probably three to four years away from being a productive member of the O's, if that ever happens.

Olson was the sandwich pick in 2005. After four seasons he has not established himself in the majors and has a make or break season coming up. He could end up in the pen.

If Huff is signed by a second tier team or if the team that that signs him also signs another FA that is ranked better then him he will return the O's a second round choice and a sandwich pick if he has a very good year. Sabathia returned the Brewers a 2nd round choice because the Yankees sign Tex.

When I consider these items I end up with the desire to trade Huff or sign him but not take the chance with draft choices. They value is less then his Huff's value.

Did you consider that Pedro Beato was the O's 2006 sandwich pick and after three seasons he finished at Frederick with a 5.85 ERA. He is probably three to four years away from being a productive member of the O's, if that ever happens.

Olson was the sandwich pick in 2005. After four seasons he has not established himself in the majors and has a make or break season coming up. He could end up in the pen.

If Huff is signed by a second tier team or if the team that that signs him also signs another FA that is ranked better then him he will return the O's a second round choice and a sandwich pick if he has a very good year. Sabathia returned the Brewers a 2nd round choice because the Yankees sign Tex.

When I consider these items I end up with the desire to trade Huff or sign him but not take the chance with draft choices. They value is less then his Huff's value.

Let's say Huff ends the year with an 815 OPS...Are you going to be excited by the prospect of having him in 2010 for 10 million or so?

Let's say Huff ends the year with an 815 OPS...Are you going to be excited by the prospect of having him in 2010 for 10 million or so?

Yes, yes I would. Contrary to some people's beliefs, every player on the team does not have to be 25 or younger, and there is NO magic line at 30 years old that says players suck from then on out. If Huff continues to produce, I would have no problem with him for another 2 to 3 years. Same with Roberts. Everyone is complaining about THIS offseason. Do you REALLY believe that MacPhail is going to be able to replace the ENTIRE infield next offseason? Hell no he can't. I bet Roberts is extended, and it wouldn't surprise me if Huff is as well.

Burrell just signed for $8M and there are several more hitters to sign yet. However do you know it would take $10M?

I was thinking the same thing. I might tear up Huffs last year and give him 3/21-24 with a club option at 8 and a 1 MM buyout. He is 31 and I don't see him getting in the way of anyone real soon.

Yes, yes I would. Contrary to some people's beliefs, every player on the team does not have to be 25 or younger, and there is NO magic line at 30 years old that says players suck from then on out. If Huff continues to produce, I would have no problem with him for another 2 to 3 years. Same with Roberts. Everyone is complaining about THIS offseason. Do you REALLY believe that MacPhail is going to be able to replace the ENTIRE infield next offseason? Hell no he can't. I bet Roberts is extended, and it wouldn't surprise me if Huff is as well.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't pay $10 million for a guy like Huff if he just put up an 815 OPS in a contract year when the previous year he put up a 912 OPS. He's 32.

If that occurred, it'd be Melvin Mora all over again. Lackluster defense, declining numbers after signing him for a relatively long term deal for too much money.

I was thinking the same thing. I might tear up Huffs last year and give him 3/21-24 with a club option at 8 and a 1 MM buyout. He is 31 and I don't see him getting in the way of anyone real soon.

This is the biggest problem as I see it. Combined with the fact that we are unappealing to free agents and have very little to trade it may be awhile before we have a decent infield. And that is only if we have some successful drafts with positional talent or most of the pitching prospects pan out and we make trades.

I am not as hopeful as some fans on here because I have little faith that this organization can do what the successful small market teams do. But hope is all I have at this point.

I don't really have any critical points that need to get accomplished for me to consider this a successful offseason. I don't think we trade Guthrie (our only proven starter), Scott (too cost-effective) or Huff (low trade value), and I think Sherrill stays still the deadline at which point one of him and Ray gets shopped pretty hard. I also think we could keep him and Ray as the start of a very solid late-inning relief corps.

I don't know about Roberts. My head says trade him, my heart says keep him. I would not take two picks over the Cubs' offer, or over Gavin Floyd, but I think the gap is not so great that it makes the risk of a more careful negotiation unreasonable. What I mean is, worst case, we get two picks. Best case, AM takes his sweet time with negotiations and gets a very nice package before the deadline. Average case, AM tries really hard but has to settle at the deadline for a package worth a little more than two picks, but less than we could get if he pulled the trigger right now. I think that the reward of the best case is worth the risk of the others.

Markakis's extension is not a huge issue, but it would be a big load off my mind to see it done. If we don't get a year or two of FA it's not worth anything to me, though. There's time on this one.

But an 815 OPS isn't that good, especially for a DH/first baseman and even moreso for 10 million a year.

He is giving you no defensive value either, so that also comes into play.

Burrell just signed for $8M and there are several more hitters to sign yet. However do you know it would take $10M?

Burrell is a much better hitter.

Huff is making 8 million in 2009...Why would he sign any extension, right now, for less than 9-11 million a year?? I also think it is an unrealistic hope that he would agree to a one year extension right now.

Burrell is a much better hitter.

Huff is making 8 million in 2009...Why would he sign any extension, right now, for less than 9-11 million a year?? I also think it is an unrealistic hope that he would agree to a one year extension right now.

Why not just risk arbitration with him? It's as close to win-win as things get :D

What about...a raise in 2009 with an understanding he'll decline arbitration? Has that ever happened?

Why not just risk arbitration with him? It's as close to win-win as things get :D

What about...a raise in 2009 with an understanding he'll decline arbitration? Has that ever happened?

Wildcard said to sign or trade him now, so that idea of offering him arbitration next year isn't an option in the scenario we are discussing.

Archived