Giving Dan Duquette his due

wildcard

4+ years after Dan  Duquette and his staff left the O's here are the players on the major league roster that were acquired on his watch:

11 Pitchers - 12* if you count Mychal Givens

Grayson Rodriguez,  DL Hall, John Means, Dean Kremer, Felix Bautista, Mike Baumann, Dillon Tate, Keegan Akin, Nick Vespi, Bruce Zimmermann, Drew Rom

*Would Mychal Givens have signed with the the O's if he didn't have history with them? 

5 Position Players

Ryan Mountcastle, Cedric Mullins, Austin Hays, Anthony Santander, Ryan McKenna

Mike Elias must value them or they would not still be here.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 1

The 162m contract was a decision made at the ownership level by Peter Angelos.  Buck Showalter and Adam Jones went right passed Duquette to lobby Angelos to sign Davis.  Duquette and his staff may have handled the paper work but the decison was made above him. 

The point is well taken that Davis is still being paid by the O's but is not on the 40 man roster.

I found it interesting that after a tear down and rebuild by Elias the team still has so many players acquired by Duquette 4 years after he left the team.

Edited by wildcard
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Any concrete evidence you can show to support that?

... my O’s boss at the time (Dan Duquette) had me working on economic evaluations of a new contract for Mr. Davis starting in August of 2015; none of the contemplated offers went beyond four years. I confidently wagered Mr. Duquette a lavish lunch in Little Italy that Mr. Davis’ value on the open market would be less than nine figures, overall.

The https://www.camdenchat.com/platform/amp/2019/4/9/18303386/orioles-chris-davis-contract-peter-angelosidea that there might have been a world where the Orioles did not go beyond either four years or $100 million to sign Davis is like a punch to the gut for me. Imagine how much less miserable all of this would seem now if this was the last year of Davis’s contract. He probably would have been cut loose long before he could get himself into his current 0-49 ditch.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Any concrete evidence you can show to support that?

It was pretty well known at the time that DD only valued Davis up until a certain point (I believe that was somewhere in the 4-5 year 20-25M range) and that PA liked Davis and stepped in.

They essentially bid against themselves too.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2015/11/23/peter-angelos-is-directly-involved-in-chris-davis-negotiations/

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It was pretty well known at the time that DD only valued Davis up until a certain point (I believe that was somewhere in the 4-5 year 20-25M range) and that PA liked Davis and stepped in.

They essentially bid against themselves too.

I think I agree with you, and I'm not trying to be a noodge. Just wondering if anyone ever went on the record saying that DD had nothing to do with the Davis signing. 

7 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

... my O’s boss at the time (Dan Duquette) had me working on economic evaluations of a new contract for Mr. Davis starting in August of 2015; none of the contemplated offers went beyond four years. I confidently wagered Mr. Duquette a lavish lunch in Little Italy that Mr. Davis’ value on the open market would be less than nine figures, overall.

The https://www.camdenchat.com/platform/amp/2019/4/9/18303386/orioles-chris-davis-contract-peter-angelosidea that there might have been a world where the Orioles did not go beyond either four years or $100 million to sign Davis is like a punch to the gut for me. Imagine how much less miserable all of this would seem now if this was the last year of Davis’s contract. He probably would have been cut loose long before he could get himself into his current 0-49 ditch.

So if I read that correctly, it says that Walters went on the record, saying he advised Duquette on Davis' value. And the article also cites "voices within and outside the organization" but they didn't go on the record. And while the author says "we also know that Walters and Duquette were 'dismayed' that the Orioles might sign Davis", he doesn't offer a source for that statement. 

Like I said, I think I lean towards agreeing with the idea that Duquette wasn't involved in the signing of that awful contract. But I wish we were able to read something definitive from DD on the truth. 

Just now, Jagwar said:

So if I read that correctly, it says that Walters went on the record, saying he advised Duquette on Davis' value. And the article also cites "voices within and outside the organization" but they didn't go on the record. And while the author says "we also know that Walters and Duquette were 'dismayed' that the Orioles might sign Davis", he doesn't offer a source for that statement. 

Like I said, I think I lean towards agreeing with the idea that Duquette wasn't involved in the signing of that awful contract. But I wish we were able to read something definitive from DD on the truth. 

The guy worked for Dan .. short of Dan or Peter saying it in public, not sure what evidence you want. 

• Upvote 1

There was good and bad with Duquette.

I think Duquette with Gary Rajisch did a good job in the draft.

He did a good job finding "unknowns" (Wei-Yen Chen, Miguel Gonzalez) that formed the basis of a respectable MLB rotation.

He gave up draft picks for bad MLB signings (Yovanni Gallardo).

He held on for at least a year too long with the core team that led to a terrible firesale.

I do not think the player development system was good under Duquette.  I think it is light years better under Elias.  

• Upvote 4