Giving Dan Duquette his due

wildcard

3 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

This from the Toronto Star

Rumours of the Blue Jays’ pursuit of Baltimore Orioles GM Dan Duquette as a replacement for team president and CEO Paul Beeston re-emerged Wednesday with a series of conflicting reports from a variety of sources.

Angelos admitted to the paper that Jays’ ownership, Rogers Communications, has expressed interest in Duquette.

An accountant who was the first employee ever hired by the Blue Jays in 1976, Beeston rose to become team president in 1989, staying on until 1997, when he was tapped by outgoing MLB commissioner Bud Selig to serve a five-year term as MLB president. He returned to the role of Jays president in 2008 and hired Anthopoulos a year later.

His contract technically expired at the end of October but Beeston — who turns 70 in June — has said on multiple occasions he has often worked without a contract and will stay on for as long as Rogers wants him.

The persistent rumours suggest either that a faction within Rogers is looking to nudge Beeston out, or that the company is simply preparing for life after the long-time president and its early recruiting efforts were clumsy rather than spiteful. Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in between.

Either way it resulted in a disastrous offseason after 2014 and the fault for that lies squarely on Duquette in my opinion.  If I had been the owner I would have fired him in 2015. 

38 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Acting out 

I think DD genuinely thought there was a chance of Angelos letting him go.   Angelos did try to extract some prospects/players from the Jays in return for giving them permission to talk/hire DD.    

7 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think DD genuinely thought there was a chance of Angelos letting him go.   Angelos did try to extract some prospects/players from the Jays in return for giving them permission to talk/hire DD.    

From what I heard at the time Angelos was asking for an unprecedented haul of prospects for an executive.

Which sounds like him.

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Just from an outsider’s knowledge of the way Angelos has operated vis a vis employees.. if DD thought Angelos would just say “great, Dan, just love you moving on to our division rivals” then Dan was an idiot and he is no idiot. 
No, maybe Dan thought it could leak out and MLB /Toronto leadership sort of force the hand of Angelos .. wrong again. 
or he thought at worst Angelos would fire him and he could then take it .. nope. 

What Dan did not do was resign obviously. But his relationship such as it was took a huge hit and he had to know he was going to be really limited in influence on PA after this mess. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I needed a rehash of the Duquette years like I needed a video replay of my last colonoscopy.  

Well we could spice things up by rehashing the Syd Thrift years next. I think Gary Dell'Abate would appreciate a retelling of the Thrift era Orioles.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yes.  In retrospect, it didn't turn out to be much if this article is accurate.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/bluejays/2015/01/25/blue-jays-halt-dan-duquette-talks-report.html

I remember PA asking for OF Dalton Pompey. 

You can’t blame that offseason on DD. I think as soon as he actually returned he was forced to pull of the Travis Snider trade for Brault/Tarpley.

Not resigning Markakis led to the Snider trade, and eventually the Parra trade. The Trumbo extension. Seth Smith. The Kim Signing, and likely the Rasmus signing as well. It would’ve been much cheaper just to bring back Markakis. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not resigning Markakis led to the Snider trade, and eventually the Parra trade. The Trumbo extension. Seth Smith. The Kim Signing, and likely the Rasmus signing as well. It would’ve been much cheaper just to bring back Markakis. 

Markakis was an average player in ATL. It should've been relatively easy to replace his production. Their biggest mistake was not giving Cruz the extra year he wanted. 

**** Colby Rasmus.

6 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Markakis was an average player in ATL. It should've been relatively easy to replace his production. Their biggest mistake was not giving Cruz the extra year he wanted. 

Should have been, but it wasn't.  You say Markakis was average but I think he was slightly better than that.  Not by much, but he was still a good player.  We could have used him in 2015 and 2016.  It was silly to think that Snider was going to replace him.

That said, I agree that they should have retained Cruz.