BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lou may not be happy about it, but everyone projects Fontenot to be better than DeRosa. Securing him at second along with a few other moves allowed them to nab Bradley.

Now, the difference between this year and last is that cost was less of a concern last year. Roberts was a small but sizable improvement over DeRosa, but cost was not a factor. Or, at least not much of a factor. This year, as having been laboriously articulated in the Tribune, cost is a factor. Therefore, I would be surprised to see the Cubs nab Roberts.

Well the Cubs have dropped the salaries of Marquis, Wood and DeRosa...They did add on as well with Dempster and Bradley but the money factor may not be as huge.

The reports and rumors are still out there that the Cubs may get back into the BRob stuff.

Oh, wow, I just don't see that. For one year of Roberts, Paulie?

I think that is enough for an all star 2B. He may even sign an extension with the Cubs.

All they would give up would be:

. A prospect (who has a big chance of not even making it)

. An average 2B, maybe a good utility man. nothing more.

. Some minor league pitcher that's not even a top 100 prospect

I don't even want to trade with the Cubs anyway. :D

BTW, I would venture to guess that BRob will be worth at least 2-3 more wins than Fontenot will.

Fontenot hasn't been all that other than last year..On 803 MiL OPS, with roughly 1000 of those MiL AB's coming in the PCL at advanced ages isn't anything to write home about.

Well the Cubs have dropped the salaries of Marquis, Wood and DeRosa...They did add on as well with Dempster and Bradley but the money factor may not be as huge.

The reports and rumors are still out there that the Cubs may get back into the BRob stuff.

It was laboriously reported the cost cutting was directly related to the cost increases. Marquis, Wood, and DeRosa were all about Dempster and Bradley. They would probably have to go through more cost cutting to turn that around.

I may have missed some things, but when we the last rumors? I think it was late October or early November, which typically means writer doldrums. Once the Peavy train got going, absolutely nothing has been said of Roberts to Chicago from the main print guys there. At least, if there has been something, I have missed it.

I just see nothing coming from the Cubs. The upgrade in defense and speed from Fontenot to Roberts is not worth much more than . . . maybe a single win for a single year. How much is that worth? Honestly, Fontenot for Roberts straight up is probably a bad deal for the Cubs. Yes, Roberts is worth more than Fontenot . . . but the difference is not so extreme that it merits throwing cheap prospects at.

BTW, I would venture to guess that BRob will be worth at least 2-3 more wins than Fontenot will.

Fontenot hasn't been all that other than last year..On 803 MiL OPS, with roughly 1000 of those MiL AB's coming in the PCL at advanced ages isn't anything to write home about.

Oh wow, 2-3 wins?

Maybe 2, but not three. Three wins is the difference between Kaz Matsui and Brian Roberts last year. Fontenot would really have to underperform to meet that. His 530 plate appearance in the Majors are something to write home about. He has a career 110 OPS that is half buoyed on last year. If that is an outlier, than we can still expect something in the 100 OPS+ arena. There just is not much of a difference between Roberts' 110-115 OPS+ next year and Fontenot's 100 OPS+ for it to make sense for the Cubs to make the deal.

I just do not see it.

As stated by others, I just don't see a good match with the Cubs, at this point. I'd much rather see us target the White Sox, expanding the trade to include one or more of our lesser prospects to get a starting pitcher and Getz. Next season we will need to replace our starting 1B, 2B, 3B and DH. If we trade Roberts, we have to get an infielder back at 1st, 2nd or 3rd. If he walks for draft picks, I will consider that a major failure on MacPhail's part. Right now, the only prospect that fills one of those positions with a possibility of being ready next spring is Brandon Snyder, either at 1B or 3B. Nolan Reimold could be ready to step into LF, allowing Scott to move to DH.

So, trading Roberts and a prospect like Liz or Mickolio (or both) to the WSox for Poreda and Getz fills the hole at 2B, adds a young ML ready pitcher, and puts you in a position to trade Huff, Sherrill or Scott at the trade deadline with the goal of getting another young infielder or more pitching (as in, you can never have enough...).

It was laboriously reported the cost cutting was directly related to the cost increases. Marquis, Wood, and DeRosa were all about Dempster and Bradley. They would probably have to go through more cost cutting to turn that around.

How can they possibly consider a Peavy deal at this point?

I could see them trading Vitters before Marshall but personally, I don't think they trade either.

I would ask for Pie, Cedeno, Wuertz as a start...Marshall with those 3 would be very nice but again, I am doubting that can happen because the Cubs need the depth.

Some kind of deal where we get pieces like the Tejada deal may work...Pie, Cedeno, Hill, Wuertz and another lower level arm could work.

Nothing the Cubs care about losing and it gives us some useful pieces with some potential very good upside.

Archived