BRob potential deals to the Cubs

Sports Guy

Mike Fontenot will be the Cubs 2B and he is not much worse than Roberts. He is also cheaper, which also works for the Cubs. I do not see a deal with them.

I am sorry that you think that. Brian Roberts is a game changer. Brian Roberts is fast, reliable, a protypical leadoff hitter. One and done...two picks. What not to love for a contender. Mike Fontenot...not so much.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am sorry that you think that. Brian Roberts is a game changer. Brian Roberts is fast, reliable, a protypical leadoff hitter. One and done...two picks. What not to love for a contender. Mike Fontenot...not so much.

I hope Chicago agrees with you.

FWIW, Take it with a grain of salt, I've been wrong before, yada, yada, yada....... There appears to be some positive progress made towards extending BRob. Just thought people would want to know.
Well so much for that. He's gone. :rofl:I'm taking it with a salt lick, sorry;)

Much better than talking about keeping BRob and extending him.

I really have to disagree with this....along with more than a few other posters. While there might be an acceptable trade out there, IMO, it won't be with the Cubs. Is there anyone left with the Cubs that you really want....seriously? Also, it appears that Roberts' trade value might have dropped below acceptable expectations for MacPhail, which I'm sure you will deem is AM's fault. But the truth is, there never appears to have ever been an acceptable offer on the table.....we only heard rumors of rumors. That said, I don't think Roberts will extend. He will play out next year and make a stab at the FA market before resigning with us.....much cheaper.

If it turns out we cannot get anything for him . . . then maybe this makes sense. He is in for a drop in the next couple of years and I think by the end of any extension we will have an expensive bench player on the roster.

How does it make sense when you acknowledge that he will be an expensive bench player for part of the contract?

Extending him is just a terrible move.

How does it make sense when you acknowledge that he will be an expensive bench player for part of the contract?

Does extending him mean we definitely aren't going to trade him? I don't think so.

I said maybe because this is a probability exercise and we have no complete concrete knowledge of what Roberts will be doing. Extending him is most likely a poor move, but it is not definitely. There is a significant difference there in the word choice.

So according to fan graphs, Roberts was worth 20MM last year in production. It has been mentioned that an extension would cover 4 years. Second basemen usually suffer a complete collapse in their age 33 or 34 seasons. His production over the next 5 years will be something like this: 800 OPS, 780, 780, 750, 700. The corresponding value is about 18MM, 14MM, 14MM, 8MM, 2MM. So during the extension, that is a worth of 38MM. The cost will be 40MM. That is a net loss of 2MM if he fulfills the historical pattern of aging.

That is even money. Getting prospects though is receiving plus value because you do not pay them what they are truly worth. So what does this all mean? If you cannot get draft picks or prospects for Roberts . . . you better resign him. If you doubt your ability to successfully draft someone, it is probably worth resigning him.

We could sign and trade BROB to make the deal better for both teams. I read on an out of town web site that the Cubs may look to move Soriano and his $14 million dollar contract. Would anyone want him in a package for BROB if the Cubs eat $4 million of his salary? He hit lefthanders at .351 last year and has power, speed and knocks in runs. He missed time last year which is why his HR'S and RBI'S are down. We are looking for a right handed bat with power. A signed Roberts and Olson for Soriano, Marshall and Cedeno? Soriano can play LF and DH if needed. Apparently some in the Cub organization are not in his fan club. He would add another dimension to our lineup and he is also a fly ball hitter. I've seen a number of homeruns fly off his bat at OP in the past. I'm not sure how many years are left on his contract.

I could see them trading Vitters before Marshall but personally, I don't think they trade either.

I would ask for Pie, Cedeno, Wuertz as a start...Marshall with those 3 would be very nice but again, I am doubting that can happen because the Cubs need the depth.

Some kind of deal where we get pieces like the Tejada deal may work...Pie, Cedeno, Hill, Wuertz and another lower level arm could work.

Nothing the Cubs care about losing and it gives us some useful pieces with some potential very good upside.

Eh, Sean Marshall? Vitters is their #1 prospect, we aren't getting him.

We could sign and trade BROB to make the deal better for both teams. I read on an out of town web site that the Cubs may look to move Soriano and his $14 million dollar contract. Would anyone want him in a package for BROB if the Cubs eat $4 million of his salary? He hit lefthanders at .351 last year and has power, speed and knocks in runs. He missed time last year which is why his HR'S and RBI'S are down. We are looking for a right handed bat with power. A signed Roberts and Olson for Soriano, Marshall and Cedeno? Soriano can play LF and DH if needed. Apparently some in the Cub organization are not in his fan club. He would add another dimension to our lineup and he is also a fly ball hitter. I've seen a number of homeruns fly off his bat at OP in the past. I'm not sure how many years are left on his contract.

It wouldn't be a sign and trade. It would be a sign and offer a 72 hour negotiating period. The rest of the deal . . . I do not think it benefits us.

What can we get from the Cubs?

Let's assume, for the purpose of this thread, that the Cubs can not get Peavy and turn their attention back to Roberts, which I think is possible.

What would you want to get from them to make a deal happen?

Does Vitters have to be included?

They have no one that is pricless:eektf::mad:

My Perfect One:hearts:IS priceless:):wedge:

Please HURRY UP Os and sign him NOW:pray::002_scry:

Archived