Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not totally crazy.  Wells had a 4.25 ERA last year, to Bradish’s 4.90.   But Bradish was on a strong upswing in the second half, while Wells was either injured or not that effective.   The fact that Wells was good out of the pen in 2021 also weighs in favor of putting him there rather than asking Bradish to assume a role he’s never tried, or sticking him in AAA when he’s already done pretty well in the majors for half a season.  

I can’t see Bradish in the pen. Wells as you said has done it.  

It’s certainly possible. I still like the odds of Bradish. It is one way to create another bullpen arm at the start of the season if Bradish was sent down. 

Wells looks like a guy to me who’s role moving forward may be dictated by needs. 

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Why would Wells be ahead of Voth? Voth performed great and without any health issues.

As the Sun article points out "general manager Mike Elias having noted the Orioles want to be careful about impacting any pitcher’s long-term starting potential to address a bullpen need for the 2023 team."

I am not sure that applies to Voth as much as others.   Voth is 30 and will be 31 in June.  He is already in the first year of arbitration eligibility.  He is a valuable part of the pitching staff and could start at times when needed but is probably not seen as a future part of the rotation.

• Upvote 1

We know that Gibson and Irvin are locks and that Kremer and Bradish will need to implode or get hurt to not have a rotation spot, so a lot of Wells' making the rotation depends on how the Orioles handle Grayson Rodriguez's innings this year. I'm hoping they take the kid gloves of Rodriguez and let him go pitch, but if they decide to manage his innings early, I could see him starting 3-5 innings with Wells coming in and hopefully getting through the rest of the game.

Saying that, since Wells has that experience of working out the of pen, he can help bridge that time until Tate is ready as well. While I sure wouldn't want to close the door on Wells starting, he's got the opportunity to be an impact reliever if he focuses on that.

I like Wells in the pen.  His stuff plays up and he throws strikes.  Having both Wells & Voth in the pen as potential #6 & #7 starters and Hall in the mix as a possible 8th starter is exciting.  We've had issues filling out a top 3 in recent years and we have 8 legitimate potential starters.  GRod, Hall, & Bradish have big time upside; Kremer, Wells, & Voth have potential upside; and Irvin & Gibson are legit innings eaters.  The starting pitchers might have the biggest question mark, but it also looks to be an area we could really make some strides and be surprisingly good.

I hope by the end of the season we are looking at GRod, Hall, Bradish, Kremer, Wells, & a Surprise.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Bradish in AAA doesn’t make any sense unless it’s just some roster manipulation thing in the first week.

I could see him on the "IL" to tweak a pitch, but I'd be dumbfounded, disappointed, and upset if he spends any time in AAA this year.  

I am an Austin Voth skeptic, but I think he belongs in a Group of Seven conversation with Tyler Wells among the rotation candidates.

I believe the back two rotation spots could be piggyback-ish as things play out the first couple months.     Wells and Voth have the most accumulated expertise I believe of the reliever lifestyle compared to the top Five Guys.

Voth is kind of a "too good to be true" litmus test for Orioles player development when they are actually trying at the MLB level (2019 - 2021 = no, 2022 = kind of, but not really).

I know Hyde has cited Cionel and Baker, but kind of feel like Tyler Wells has some bullpen boss attributes if Felix is away any.

Edited by Just Regular

19 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I am an Austin Voth skeptic, but I think he belongs in a Group of Seven conversation with Tyler Wells among the rotation candidates.

I believe the back two rotation spots could be piggyback-ish as things play out the first couple months.     Wells and Voth have the most accumulated expertise I believe of the reliever lifestyle compared to the top Five Guys.

Voth is kind of a "too good to be true" litmus test for Orioles player development when they are actually trying at the MLB level (2019 - 2021 = no, 2022 = kind of, but not really).

I know Hyde has cited Cionel and Baker, but kind of feel like Tyler Wells has some bullpen boss attributes if Felix is away any.

Voth is kind of forgotten by many because of how he came out of nowhere to pitch well for the Orioles last year. He pitched really well for the Orioles but he's more of a 50 pitch guy than a starter. He also doesn't really have much of a changeup so he uses his cutter more against lefties. 

The problem is, it appears he struggles to pitch on short rest over his career. He's a bit of a tweener pitcher. Historically, he has the fatigue level of a reliever, but needs more than 1 or 2 days rest to be effective.

His best role might be as a right-handed long guy though I could see the Orioles move Voth this spring to a team that may see him as a starter for them.