Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

1 hour ago, Getz said:

Tyler Wells leads all MLB in WHIP.

Under the hood of that 0.72 WHIP:

29 innings, 18 hits, 3 walks, 23 Ks--but 12 in the last 12.67 innings.

Too bad he has only 1 W to his credit, but the team is 4-1 in his starts.

26 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Before the wheels really came off, it seemed like he was a lot better htan results were showing. A few bloops fell in (including one where the batter basically threw his bat at a pitch that was low and away out of the zone). The early walks also seemed to be a lot of 50-50 balls that he just wasn't winding up on the right side of (not that he was screwed by the umps, rather that a cm or two difference would have made some of those balls into definite strikes). The real abuse happened after he'd had a 40-pitch 2nd inning, which does seem to make sense.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I think he's just a few tweaks or small differences away from that outing playing out quite differently.

I respect your opinion but I didn't see things that way last night. I saw a pitcher who was struggling with command almost all night. He got squeezed by the ump a few times early and it seemed to bother him a bit. Then after that the Redsox started to blast him. I didn't see seeing eye singles and bloops. I saw hard contact. Yes maybe Gunnar could have made that one play that missed his glove. But otherwise, I didn't see an unlucky pitcher. I saw a pitcher who got knocked around pretty good, which isn't the first time that the Sox have hit him hard.

Having said all this, I have hope that this was a one off or a particularly bad matchup against one team. But Kremer on the other hand, I'm much more worried about.

I kept thinking the Orioles could use a guy like Tyler Wells as a valuable long man in the bullpen when some of the other pitchers are ready, but with how consistently good Tyler has been pitching, there's no way you take him out of the starting rotation. He might be the best starting pitcher in the Orioles rotation right now, or at least top 2 with Gibson.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Our best starter?

Some of you guys were rooting for him to go to the bullpen.

Yeah, I'm happy to be wrong on that one. If Grayson had had the spring we expected, Wells probably does start in the bullpen. Wells beat him out and has seized the opportunity. I would not be surprised to see Irvin back at some point but for now Wells is the better pitcher. For me it is more a question of durability than ability. I love the command and the strike throwing approach.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Tyler Wells: 0.72 WHIP as a starter. 

Orioles Hangout Posters: Yeeeeeeeah, still kinda wonder how he’d be as a reliever especially after Means and Irvin come back. 

Was that a dig at my post? Hey, kudos to those who were on record for him as a starter. It's not like anyone on the other side was saying it would be idiotic for him to start. For what it's worth his career numbers in the pen are slightly better. I thought he could be successful in either role but the bigger team needs was bullpen. We will see what happens, he could be top dawg by the end of the year but I think that would be surpassing anyone's expectations.

14 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I respect your opinion but I didn't see things that way last night. I saw a pitcher who was struggling with command almost all night. He got squeezed by the ump a few times early and it seemed to bother him a bit. Then after that the Redsox started to blast him. I didn't see seeing eye singles and bloops. I saw hard contact. Yes maybe Gunnar could have made that one play that missed his glove. But otherwise, I didn't see an unlucky pitcher. I saw a pitcher who got knocked around pretty good, which isn't the first time that the Sox have hit him hard.

Having said all this, I have hope that this was a one off or a particularly bad matchup against one team. But Kremer on the other hand, I'm much more worried about.

In the second inning, were two consecutive hitters who got weak contact hits on good pitches that weren’t even in the strike zone.  First Arroyo chipped a low pitch into RF for a 69.6 mph bloop single, then McGuire hit an 85.6 mph ground single that got past the 3B on a low inside pitch.  Both of those easily could have been outs.  But otherwise, Bradish was tattooed and his location was horrible.  I suppose if those two balls had been outs, the inning would have been over and Bradish is in the dugout without having thrown an absurd number of pitches, and maybe he regroups.  But maybe not. 

51 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Was that a dig at my post? Hey, kudos to those who were on record for him as a starter. It's not like anyone on the other side was saying it would be idiotic for him to start. For what it's worth his career numbers in the pen are slightly better. I thought he could be successful in either role but the bigger team needs was bullpen. We will see what happens, he could be top dawg by the end of the year but I think that would be surpassing anyone's expectations.

Sort of, but others too.  

At this rate I think he's earned to stay in the rotation for awhile.  If Irvin starts throwing well and wants to come back, great.  But there are 5 spots and the two best guys are clearly Gibson and Wells.  I agree with SG that I'd like to see some more missed bats but he throws strikes and hardly walks anyone.  I like what he's doing and I'm confused as to why anyone would want to try to move him to the pen at the moment.  Or even move him to the pen for a guy like Irvin.

When we entered the year, one of the big issues with this team was, who turns into a pumpkin, if anyone, of the guys who came from nowhere last year.

Early on, we are seeing some drop back, some get better and some new candidates.

Wells I feel is kind of in the middle. He has shown he can be a starter and we have other relievers pitching at a high level at the back end, so the need to move Wells to the pen may not be there.

But can he stay healthy? Can he take the next step? 

I thought he showed last year he could be our best starter for a while but sort of lost steam at some point. Perhaps that was a learning experience and he's figured it out long term. I hope we can look for an upgrade for Kremer and/or Bradish at some point. I'd rather move a couple of our 4s for one 2.

59 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sort of, but others too.  

At this rate I think he's earned to stay in the rotation for awhile.  If Irvin starts throwing well and wants to come back, great.  But there are 5 spots and the two best guys are clearly Gibson and Wells.  I agree with SG that I'd like to see some more missed bats but he throws strikes and hardly walks anyone.  I like what he's doing and I'm confused as to why anyone would want to try to move him to the pen at the moment.  Or even move him to the pen for a guy like Irvin.

This is an old thread that someone bumped. I don't think anyone has advocated for Irvin since February. Irvin was rightfully demoted and will need to earn his way back or wait for an injury. By the time a spot opens up I'm not even sure Irvin would be at the top of the list. Could be Hall, Rom, or even Denoyer. At the moment Irvin looks like total garbage (3.3 K/9 in AAA). If Irvin makes it back, I agree, it is more likely to be over Grayson, Kremer, or Bradish than Wells based on the early results.

• Upvote 1

On a side note, seeing the O's have success grabbing talent from the rule 5 draft (like T Wells), waiver wire, free agency, and trades. I can see the reluctance to grab a pitcher high in the draft. The higher percentage of success seems to be grabbing hitters with certain skillsets.

Edited by Chaka Garcia

• 3 weeks later...