Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

Players generally pick their own numbers.  Well Wells is six foot eight inches tall.  I just noticed tonight his number is 68.  Do you think he picked his number as a joke on his height?  Whatcha think?

wells68.jpg

Wells is a very fine pitcher.  My major concern with him is stamina.  He was at a low pitch count entering the 7th but was visibly fatigued from the start of the inning.  I realize he got through 7, which is a rare feat for this team.  But, when a guy goes into an inning with about 80 pitches, you don’t expect him to be tired.

I’m also referring to stamina to get through the season, as Wells has had various second half injuries the last two years.   

That said, he’s fun to watch.  Everything he throws is either in the zone or just outside, and he really forced hitters to swing at pitcher’s pitches.  I’d like to see Grayson take a few lessons on how to put batters away and keep pitch counts low.  

I also reality enjoy his post-game interviews.  He’s highly intelligent and very self/critical.  He’s very forthright with the reporters.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Wells is a very fine pitcher.  My major concern with him is stamina.  He was at a low pitch count entering the 7th but was visibly fatigued from the start of the inning.  I realize he got through 7, which is a rare feat for this team.  But, when a guy goes into an inning with about 80 pitches, you don’t expect him to be tired.

I’m also referring to stamina to get through the season, as Wells has had various second half injuries the last two years.   

That said, he’s fun to watch.  Everything he throws is either in the zone or just outside, and he really forced hitters to swing at pitcher’s pitches.  I’d like to see Grayson take a few lessons on how to put batters away and keep pitch counts low.  

I also reality enjoy his post-game interviews.  He’s highly intelligent and very self/critical.  He’s very forthright with the reporters.   

I am not worried about Wells' stamina.   The has thrown more than 90 pitches in his last 5 starts.  102 once.   96 last night. The way he extends to 100-110 pitches is to continue to pitch deep in games.  He is determined.  He wants to go nine innings.  He has the stuff to do that on a given night.   It would be nice if the offense score him 5 runs.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 9:54 PM, Gurgi said:

Players generally pick their own numbers.  Well Wells is six foot eight inches tall.  I just noticed tonight his number is 68.  Do you think he picked his number as a joke on his height?  Whatcha think?

wells68.jpg

Wow, very observant of you. I'm impressed.

I was looking at the MLB leaders for WHIP among Starting Pitchers and I noticed Tyler Wells is currently 2nd in the entire league, right behind Eduardo Rodriguez. Then I started looking at the other stats, and what stood out to me is that Tyler's Home Runs allowed is what is holding him back from taking the next step and becoming truly dominant. If he can keep the ball in the park, he can do some special things this season.

https://www.mlb.com/stats/pitching/whip?split=sp&sortState=asc

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Some of you guys would still want to move him to the bullpen.

We'll ride him as far as his stamina lasts.     While a lot of focus has been on the Minors, Mullins, Mateo, Cano and Wells at the MLB level have all been big Wins with non-elite guys.

I'll talk about wanting him in the pen as a compliment because he looks like one of our best 6-7 pitchers, and they are all you use in the tournament unless a game is out of hand.    Unlike Gibson or Kremer, he isn't doubtful for a tournament roster.

But at this point who knows, maybe Mullins is MVP-7, Wells is CY-8, and Cano ruins Elias' plan for Gunnar to get him a bonus pick.

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Big man pushed past 20% K-BB yesterday.    Most MLB SP end up between 10 and 20 by this metric.    Under 10, you might lose your job; over 20....you've heard of them.

Too bad it was wasted.

K/9 up to 8.7. That was his weakness last year. If he can miss bats at that rate he is going to be very successful. Zero walks yesterday. I just love watching guys like that pitch. Unfortunately most of the playoff contenders are big HR hitters. Not sure his approach will work well vs Yankees and Jays. Definitely give Tyler one of the home starts and hope the wall helps him out.