Tyler Wells as a starter

wildcard

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

K/9 up to 8.7. That was his weakness last year. If he can miss bats at that rate he is going to be very successful. Zero walks yesterday. I just love watching guys like that pitch. Unfortunately most of the playoff contenders are big HR hitters. Not sure his approach will work well vs Yankees and Jays. Definitely give Tyler one of the home starts and hope the wall helps him out.

The Wall won't help him out when the splits say to bat a left handed batter against Tyler's right arm.

Well started to get more Ks and miss more bats starting around July last year iirc. Ironically, he had some starts where he did better in those areas but was giving up more runs.

Over the long haul though, missing more bats and getting more Ks is huge for him and if that can last while keeping his control, he’s going to be good…assuming he can stay healthy. 

He is going to be a guy that you worry about for a while in that regards.

About a week ago, Tyler did an interview with Alex Fast of Pitcher List.      Fast had the detail new to me about his vertical release point being near MLB highest.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/talking-pitching-with-tyler-wells-pt-1/

Wells shared story he went from 5'10" to 6'7" last two years of high school.    His high school guru he describes as a big feel guy, not much into analytics.     He also shared in the Minors he'd blown up to 310 lbs before getting on a personalized diet, helped by his mom, a doctor.

35 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

About a week ago, Tyler did an interview with Alex Fast of Pitcher List.      Fast had the detail new to me about his vertical release point being near MLB highest.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/talking-pitching-with-tyler-wells-pt-1/

Wells shared story he went from 5'10" to 6'7" last two years of high school.    His high school guru he describes as a big feel guy, not much into analytics.     He also shared in the Minors he'd blown up to 310 lbs before getting on a personalized diet, helped by his mom, a doctor.

310 ponds!?!  Can he play left tackle?

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=8,d

Here is Wells in the Top 5 of MLB SP at infield flyballs, a batted ball type the podcast detail about his very high vertical release point and Fangraphs WAR hating him led me to look at.

Last 30 Days, Wells K-BB is near MLB best but Fangraphs WAR gives him the stink eye.    I think infield fly balls are some of it.    fWAR sees the .183 BABIP, and says his FIP ERA is like 4.50, but a lot of pop-ups are I believe induced by all that verticality in his attack angles and is probably not all getting lucky.

IFFB outs are almost as good as strikeouts, but don't show up in K-BB.   

Stamina is the question time can only answer but for a month we've gotten to enjoy a real SP1 kind of performance.

Because baseball the Royals may bash him Friday, but it is about to the point where I've stopped hoping he'll handle his turn respectably and started expecting All-Star caliber performance.     

Mullins, Bautista, Cano, Wells...the Wins beyond the realm of 1-1 blue chips are still accumulating.     Depending on injuries or who doesn't feel like going, that might be four American League All-Stars.

• Upvote 1

All of Wells stats look good except for his 1.8 HR rate. Which is pretty bad and explains his 4.56 FIP. The BB9 rate is excellent though and so is the K9.  Only one HR allowed in his last two starts (after allowing an alarming 5 HR in his previous 2 starts) so knock on wood he's improving there. 

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2023&month=0&season1=2023&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2023-01-01&enddate=2023-12-31&sort=8,d

Here is Wells in the Top 5 of MLB SP at infield flyballs, a batted ball type the podcast detail about his very high vertical release point and Fangraphs WAR hating him led me to look at.

Last 30 Days, Wells K-BB is near MLB best but Fangraphs WAR gives him the stink eye.    I think infield fly balls are some of it.    fWAR sees the .183 BABIP, and says his FIP ERA is like 4.50, but a lot of pop-ups are I believe induced by all that verticality in his attack angles and is probably not all getting lucky.

IFFB outs are almost as good as strikeouts, but don't show up in K-BB.   

Stamina is the question time can only answer but for a month we've gotten to enjoy a real SP1 kind of performance.

Because baseball the Royals may bash him Friday, but it is about to the point where I've stopped hoping he'll handle his turn respectably and started expecting All-Star caliber performance.     

Mullins, Bautista, Cano, Wells...the Wins beyond the realm of 1-1 blue chips are still accumulating.     Depending on injuries or who doesn't feel like going, that might be four American League All-Stars.

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

All of Wells stats look good except for his 1.8 HR rate. Which is pretty bad and explains his 4.56 FIP. The BB9 rate is excellent though and so is the K9.  Only one HR allowed in his last two starts (after allowing an alarming 5 HR in his previous 2 starts) so knock on wood he's improving there. 

The .183 BABIP, which leads all qualifiers, is nuts when you consider that he's a pretty heavy FB pitcher.

• 3 weeks later...

Wells just knows how to pitch. He’s more of a throwback guy in a lot of ways.

Guys nowadays just want to throw it as hard as they can and strike you out.

Wells is a command/control guy who has started to miss more bats and get more Ks but it comes more from command than it does dominant stuff.

The pitcher that he is evolving into is obviously very good. The homers are worrisome especially given that he is a self-proclaimed fly-ball pitcher. 

Coming into tonight’s start he’d surrendered 18 home runs. These last few starts of his that have been pretty good would be REALLY really good if he could avoid giving up the dang long ball. I can’t put my finger on what throwback guy he reminds me of, if any. So I can’t compare him to anyone off of the top of my head but if he can get that home run number a little more under control, I think we’re watching a potential #2 starter blossoming. He’s been really really good and I hate complaining about giving up home runs but they just seem to plague him. 

If you're looking for a throwback guy who had a lot of success despite a high home run number, I'd offer the name of Jim Palmer's old roommate, Robin Roberts.

Roberts led the National League in home runs allowed in four different seasons and gave up a total of 505 dingers over the course of his 19-year major league career.  But he knew how to limit the damage, and ending up winning 286 games, earning him a place in the Hall of Fame.

• Upvote 1