Debating if MLB.tv package is worth it. Does it have old Oriole archive games? How many? Does it work on your Tv or just computers?

Gurgi

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I’ve got Nord VPN. What are you using?

ExpressVPN. Works without fail (knock on wood). I used PIA for about three years with pretty good results, but it was finally nailed by MLB's VPN detectors. I'm in NC. I tried Nord, but it only worked for about two weeks. Then no matter how I tweaked it, it could not break through. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

ExpressVPN. Works without fail (knock on wood). I used PIA for about three years with pretty good results, but it was finally nailed by MLB's VPN detectors. I'm in NC. I tried Nord, but it only worked for about two weeks. Then no matter how I tweaked it, it could not break through. 

I live in in Western North Carolina, Asheville, and can get all O’s  games without a VPN except against the Braves. was totally blacked out when on vacation on the coast Express VPN tricked them the first night, but not the rest of the week.

6 minutes ago, George Zuverink said:

I live in in Western North Carolina, Asheville, and can get all O’s  games without a VPN except against the Braves. was totally blacked out when on vacation on the coast Express VPN tricked them the first night, but not the rest of the week.

I think the NC cut of the O's viewing market goes through central NC to the coast. They had to split the state up somewhat with the Braves is my guess, ie. one team not take all of the state. 

3 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I wonder if a VPN is a way to get around the blackouts. 🤔

It is.  It's so odd that when I spoke with my brother last night about this, he reminded me that I did indeed watch all the Orioles games last year by using ExpressVPN ($12.95/mo) on MLB.TV's website.  Bad memory moment: for some reason when I posted earlier yesterday, I was focused on remembering that I initially couldn't.  😄

On 2/14/2024 at 6:54 PM, NashLumber said:

Great, thanks. I'm on it like stink on a monkey! 

On 2/14/2024 at 4:08 PM, Gatoriole said:

Let me know if this link doesn't work: https://www.mlb.com/mlbpaa/membership/fans

You just need to sign up for the $25 option.

Careful. I just went to sign up and unfortunately it says the 50% MLBTV discount is only for renewing members and not new fan memberships.

Edited by RarityFlaherty

I'm a cord-cutter, live in Baltimore City, and have used MLB.tv for about 8 years now to watch the O's. Overall, I really like it. But, I think the decision depends more on how you watch TV and personal preferences.

Like others have mentioned, there are ways to get around the blackouts. 99% of the time those workarounds have no issues. But, at least once a year, those workarounds temporarily get blocked and you're completely out of luck. There's been more than one occasion where I had a long day at work, couldn't wait to get home to watch the O's and relax, grabbed some beer from the store on the way home, sat down on the couch - and then ..... nope. Out of luck.

That being said, I like having MLB.tv because I don't really watch enough TV to justify cable and I travel quite frequently for work, so having O's access anywhere is nice. The biggest perk to me though is it's pretty cool to be able to put on a West Coast game in the background after the O's game while I catch up on emails and whatnot, if you're a night owl like me. I've really enjoyed being able to watch full games of Trout, Ohtani, Kershaw, etc as a night cap.

All in all, I think it comes down to personal preference. If you're somebody who only watches the Os and also watches cable or can get a cable bundle that includes Netflix or whatever - I think that probably still makes the most sense. But, if you wanna ditch cable, are okay with some disruptions, or value being able to watch other teams - you'll love MLB.tv.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, RarityFlaherty said:

Careful. I just went to sign up and unfortunately it says the 50% MLBTV discount is only for renewing members and not new fan memberships.

Oops. Oh well, it’s not the first $25 I’ve wasted on something worthless in the end. 

Edited by NashLumber

I imagine something is going to get worked out with MASN, unless I've missed something - which is possible. ;)

I went thru the cord cutting research a while back and posted a thread about finding MASN on some of the streamer packages.  In the end, I decided to bide my time with Xfinity because getting MASN required a full on monthly streaming package from one of DriectTV, Xfinity, YouTube (I think)...  Anyway, that kind of priced me out of changing because I get a bunch of the streaming packages with the Xfinity package.  It was really close and not worth the change, at the time.  I might look into it again when summer comes.

It really is sort of crazy to me that there hasn't been a package with local over-the-air broadcast channels and MASN.  I know that doesn't help travelers and out of viewing area fans, but if you combine that with Sling, you could view it anywhere a few seconds behind using the recording feature as you would with Xfinity Stream.

You'd also think that MLB, owning the rights to the games and having to get permission from them to do anything with the footage, anyway, that they would just allow the viewing of any game with a top-tier-ish package and cut a check based on viewership to individual clubs.  All we wanna do is watch baseball for godsakes!  lol

As a reminder, T-Mobile subscribers have been offered the MLB.tv package for several seasons. There's been no word yet if they're doing it for the 2024 season.  The activation only considers the regular season and not the pre-season games if they do offer it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Oops. Oh well, it’s not the first $25 I’ve wasted on something worthless in the end. 

If you signed up, I'd check your inbox for an email giving you a code to get the discount. When I renewed, I think the discount applied to renewing or new members at that time. I doubt they have changed it.

For clarity, the website says "50 percent discount (applies to 2024 season for renewing members)." That is worded poorly and I understand why @RarityFlaherty read it the way he did. But I think the issue is that they want members to only receive one annual discount on mlb.tv per each year that they donate to MLBPAA. For example, if I make a donation in April 2024 and get the discount for the 2024 season, then they do not want that person coming back in February 2025 asking for a discount on the 2025 season. 

It is worded poorly, but I strongly suspect new members also get the discount. You may want to inquire with MLBPAA. I emailed them last year and they were responsive.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Gatoriole said:

If you signed up, I'd check your inbox for an email giving you a code to get the discount. When I renewed, I think the discount applied to renewing or new members at that time. I doubt they have changed it.

For clarity, the website says "50 percent discount (applies to 2024 season for renewing members)." That is worded poorly and I understand why @RarityFlaherty read it the way he did. But I think the issue is that they want members to only receive one annual discount on mlb.tv per each year that they donate to MLBPAA. For example, if I make a donation in April 2024 and get the discount for the 2024 season, then they do not want that person coming back in February 2025 asking for a discount on the 2025 season. 

It is worded poorly, but I strongly suspect new members also get the discount. You may want to inquire with MLBPAA. I emailed them last year and they were responsive.

I did get the email. I'm just waiting for my current MLB-TV subscription to expire on March 1. Thanks for the update. 

• Upvote 1

Pleasantly surprised to find that season ticket package owners (even flex levels, like me) get MLB.tv subscription for 2024. I live just out of market and have been a subscriber for years but this is the first year I've been a flex member.