The 2023 Happy Talk Thread

Frobby

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Gotta like Povich striking out 3 in 2 innings.  

Agree, gotta like the potential for John Means like growth as he fills out and works the pitching labs offseason. Then if Seth Johnson can come back from TJ the upper Mil pitching ranks aren't so barren.  Then you add Heston who appears to be on a Mission to reestablish himself, and we could have strong support in Mil system ranking no matter who graduates in 2023-24. By then the International pipeline should begin producing some prospects. The new Oriole Way is being built, we need a new descriptor. I grew up during the early-60s to mid-eighties run when we were the only team with a winning record against MFNYY. I always assumed it would continue, stupid me, knowledge is wasted on youth. I want another run, starting now, not another swag song like 1983 was to 1982.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, terpoh said:

Was at the game today (2/26 @ Tigers) 

The young guys certainly looked the part.

-Vavra had two impressive diving plays at third and was spraying line drives all over the place.

-Norby hits the absolute snot out of the ball. His double was a line drive that short hopped the wall in center, along with another single.

-Stowers had a nice oppo base hit.

-Povich was very impressive. Stuff was electric.

-Holliday worked the count well in both plate appearances and made a nice running double play turn at SS. 

-Cowser worked the count like anticipated. 

-Westburg had a hit and a walk where he worked the count from 0-2

-Prieto crushed a ball to deep RC which short hopped the wall.

-Kjerstad with another hit (infield hit)

-Mayo just looks like a big leaguer. Beast.

Good to hear the O's have so many players looking like they will make the majors soon.  Especially impressed by Jackson not looking out of place.  How did the pitching look?

Can't believe there was no game thread today. 

I was keeping a close eye on the velo readings for Povich in Gamecast. Very interestingly, he threw a ton of fastballs at 94 (and one or two 95) and a ton at 89 or 90, about an even number of each. There were almost none in between, I don’t think a single one at 92 and maybe only one or two at 91 or 93. It was unusual and made me wonder whether the 94+ are 4 seamers and the 89-90 are sinkers or cutters, or he’s just dialing it up and back and can’t sustain 94 every time. Either way, I’d really love to see him pitch with video to get a better sense for what’s going on! If he can reliably hit 94 consistently he’s got a lot of potential. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

I was keeping a close eye on the velo readings for Povich in Gamecast. Very interestingly, he threw a ton of fastballs at 94 (and one or two 95) and a ton at 89 or 90, about an even number of each. There were almost none in between, I don’t think a single one at 92 and maybe only one or two at 91 or 93. It was unusual and made me wonder whether the 94+ are 4 seamers and the 89-90 are sinkers or cutters, or he’s just dialing it up and back and can’t sustain 94 every time. Either way, I’d really love to see him pitch with video to get a better sense for what’s going on! If he can reliably hit 94 consistently he’s got a lot of potential. 

Pitching w/ video.  That's newfangled technology that O's fans don't get.

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

Substitute “August of 2017.”  The O’s were 7-21 in September/October that year and were awful from the get go in 2018 (8-20 in March/April and just as bad thereafter).   

Now back to happy talk.   Heston Kjerstad!  Terrin Vavra!  Jackson Holliday!

You're correct in hindsight.  The middle of 2018 was when the selloff occurred and it became clear that winter was coming - a long one.  I retained enough optimism during the 2017-2018 off season to still be excited at the beginning of 2018 with Chris Davis' future contribution being an obvious concern.  No regrets if my optimism was misplaced, it beats the alternative hands down.

12 hours ago, AnythingO's said:

Agree, gotta like the potential for John Means like growth as he fills out and works the pitching labs offseason. Then if Seth Johnson can come back from TJ the upper Mil pitching ranks aren't so barren.  Then you add Heston who appears to be on a Mission to reestablish himself, and we could have strong support in Mil system ranking no matter who graduates in 2023-24. By then the International pipeline should begin producing some prospects. The new Oriole Way is being built, we need a new descriptor. I grew up during the early-60s to mid-eighties run when we were the only team with a winning record against MFNYY. I always assumed it would continue, stupid me, knowledge is wasted on youth. I want another run, starting now, not another swag song like 1983 was to 1982.

Knowledge without action is just the passage of time. 

What I love about the current scenario is that pretty much every established Orioles major leaguer has a corresponding minor league stud or two pushing them to get better. And every minor league stud knows that if he kills it this season he'll be on the major league roster before too long. Unlike previous regimes, neither Hyde nor Elias has a group of veteran players that they'll cater to or protect at the expense of the team. If Mateo doesn't hit a lick we got two or three hungry guys who will take his job. Same with Hays, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander, Urias, and McKenna. The new Oriole way will be produce or die.

Ya, the next five years are going to be a blast. 

Edited by ShoelesJoe
  • Upvote 3