Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

No, to keep him in the minors at the start of 2024 for a midseason callup in late may/early june.  He's probably going to break camp better than at least one of the starting infielders, but he's also going to be 20 and will have never spent a full season even in AA, so it's got plausible deniability in terms of service time manipulation.  Even though service time would definitely play a role in the decision.

Oh I think that is the plan and is reasonable. Let him get at least 6 weeks in AAA. In the modern game, I don’t like the idea of guys skipping steps. 

Now if we hold on to Mateo through the offseason, we may not make the call up until somewhere around mid season, when we can move Mateo.

Holliday’s age doesn’t concern me. He has experience through exposure and received advance instruction/knowledge from an early age. Certainly nuances about being a pro that other guys would need to learn, much of it is already in his tool belt.

I just dream of the day when Gunnar, Holliday, and Adley are hitting back to back in the Orioles lineup everyday when they all are “acclimated” and have it figured out. 

For however many years that last, we are going to be death on everyone!

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Have there been any reports on his defense?

He had 5 games at 2B in Delmarva and 8 at SS.  At Aberdeen, he's got 1 at 2B and 16 at SS.  Maybe a shift in focus for Jackson that they want to prioritize SS with minimal 2B reps going forward.  

In my limited viewing, I've seen him make the routine plays.  I haven't seen any non-routine opportunities.  And now Aberdeen coverage...

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

He had 5 games at 2B in Delmarva and 8 at SS.  At Aberdeen, he's got 1 at 2B and 16 at SS.  Maybe a shift in focus for Jackson that they want to prioritize SS with minimal 2B reps going forward.  

In my limited viewing, I've seen him make the routine plays.  I haven't seen any non-routine opportunities.  And now Aberdeen coverage...

Seemed like they just wanted to give Young some reps at SS at Norfolk. Would assume the plan has always been for him to prioritize SS, but it's good for him to have the versatility to do both. 

21 minutes ago, TheWall said:

Seemed like they just wanted to give Young some reps at SS at Norfolk. Would assume the plan has always been for him to prioritize SS, but it's good for him to have the versatility to do both. 

That could be true about giving Young SS reps at Delmarva.  But why doesn’t that apply to the time share with Bencosme?  Maybe it speaks to how they view Bencosme vs. Young?  Neither have done much to help their cause.

I still lean toward the SS focus was an intentional decision for Jackson’s development.  Whether that’s because he’s a stud or needs more reps is an unknown.  I’m confident they like the bat and maybe want to ease his transitions as much as possible.

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

To be fair, it's tough to resist the urge to project his performance out to higher levels, when he's OPSing almost 1.1 in a park where bats go to die.

Yes, it is.  There’s really nobody who’s done what he’s done at Aberdeen at any age, much less as a 19-year old.  But then again, we’re talking about 72 PA.  I think they’ll have to consider another promotion in 3-4 weeks.