Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Mateo can repeat defensively.  He could even be better by committing less errors. But what he will do offensively is the part I question.

I thick it’s unlikely he will match his advanced defensive metrics of last year, but we’ll see.   I agree that offense will decide how much he plays.  As I’ve mentioned several times, I could see his OPS either increasing or decreasing by 50+ points.  In the former case, he’s extremely valuable; in the latter, he’s sitting on the bench.  If he stays exactly where he was last year, he’ll still play a lot,  but significantly less than last year.  I think it’s likely Hyde will give him 6-8 weeks to show what his offense looks like this year.

• Upvote 1

He will be in Delmarva for about a month and then on up the ladder. Same thing they did with Gunnar. 

Regardless of his talent there's no reason to rush this. As other's have said, 2024 may be a different story. That will also allow some of the other players to work out positions and possible trades.

1 hour ago, maybenxtyr said:

He will be in Delmarva for about a month and then on up the ladder. Same thing they did with Gunnar. 

Regardless of his talent there's no reason to rush this. As other's have said, 2024 may be a different story. That will also allow some of the other players to work out positions and possible trades.

I agree that’s likely.  Of course, Holliday already played some in Delmarva last year.  Gunnar had not played low A going into the 2021 season.  And, Holliday was much better in the FCL than Gunnar was in the GCL back in 2019.   So, perhaps there’s a stronger argument to jump him to Aberdeen than there was for Gunnar.  Of course, Gunnar had played at the alt site and was a year older by the time he hit Delmarva.   Either way, I expect Holliday will be in Aberdeen by no later than May 15, so it doesn’t matter that much where he starts. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree that’s likely.  Of course, Holliday already played some in Delmarva last year.  Gunnar had not played low A going into the 2021 season.  And, Holliday was much better in the FCL than Gunnar was in the GCL back in 2019.   So, perhaps there’s a stronger argument to jump him to Aberdeen than there was for Gunnar.  Of course, Gunnar had played at the alt site and was a year older by the time he hit Delmarva.   Either way, I expect Holliday will be in Aberdeen by no later than May 15, so it doesn’t matter that much where he starts. 

You guys could be right.  However, when Henderson had more walks than strikeouts at Bowie last year he was declared the poster boy of the Orioles organizational hitting system.  Holliday came into the organization that way.  It took Henderson a full year to get there. 

Also, who starts in Aberdeen at SS if not Holliday and what do they do with that player on May 15?  Sounds silly but I'm sure it's a consideration.  My feeling is that it's either Carter Young or Holliday but if Young starts there then it gets sticky when you want to promote Holliday.  Might be easier just to start Young at Delmarva and Holliday at Aberdeen.   Even a slow start at Aberdeen isn't likely to get a hitter like Holliday to panic and start changing his approach. 

Edited by RZNJ

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's going to be exciting as a fan watching his development. He already has skills that are hard to teach. 

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

You guys could be right.  However, when Henderson had more walks than strikeouts at Bowie last year he was declared the poster boy of the Orioles organizational hitting system.  Holliday came into the organization that way.  It took Henderson a full year to get there. 

Also, who starts in Aberdeen at SS if not Holliday and what do they do with that player on May 15?  Sounds silly but I'm sure it's a consideration.  My feeling is that it's either Carter Young or Holliday but if Young starts there then it gets sticky when you want to promote Holliday.  Might be easier just to start Young at Delmarva and Holliday at Aberdeen.   Even a slow start at Aberdeen isn't likely to get a hitter like Holliday to panick and start changing his approach. 

Why did you mention me in your post?

I'm sure you know that is not how to spell panic!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Also, who starts in Aberdeen at SS if not Holliday and what do they do with that player on May 15?  Sounds silly but I'm sure it's a consideration.  My feeling is that it's either Carter Young or Holliday but if Young starts there then it gets sticky when you want to promote Holliday.  Might be easier just to start Young at Delmarva and Holliday at Aberdeen.   Even a slow start at Aberdeen isn't likely to get a hitter like Holliday to panic and start changing his approach. 

I feel like Frederick Bencosme is the starting SS at Aberdeen. Carter Young still has stuff to prove at Delmarva, he didn't exactly have the greatest showing in his debut. I know that Young is known for his defense, but I could see him moving around the infield if they think they bat isn't going to play (and I know SSS and all, but there are doubts about his bat).

49 minutes ago, CharmCityHokie said:

I feel like Frederick Bencosme is the starting SS at Aberdeen. Carter Young still has stuff to prove at Delmarva, he didn't exactly have the greatest showing in his debut. I know that Young is known for his defense, but I could see him moving around the infield if they think they bat isn't going to play (and I know SSS and all, but there are doubts about his bat).

Ok.  I think Bencosme is probably going to split SS/2B with either Holliday or Young.  Do you see both Young and Holliday starting at Delmarva?

11 PA so far this ST. 3BB 2SO. 1.045 OPS. Any takes on his defense?  I have not seen so far. 

I think there’s a very good chance he’s our OD SS next year. We need to start signing our guys to long term deals and not let service clock be an issue. We could hold him down through 6/1 like Adley and he still might finish top 3 ROY and get the extra service clock year taken off. 

54 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11 PA so far this ST. 3BB 2SO. 1.045 OPS. Any takes on his defense?  I have not seen so far. 

I think there’s a very good chance he’s our OD SS next year. We need to start signing our guys to long term deals and not let service clock be an issue. We could hold him down through 6/1 like Adley and he still might finish top 3 ROY and get the extra service clock year taken off. 

Service clock should be an issue for the best players in the system who legitimately have a good chance of finishing at the top of ROY voting. Maximize the opportunity to keep the talent pipeline flowing by rolling the dice for more picks.  I hope they play service time games to allow someone like Holliday to be on an opening-day roster with rookie status intact - i.e. the Gunnar approach.  I hope he performs well enough for an end-of-2024 call-up and on the opening-day 2025 roster, which I think is realistic.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I know you’re excited but let’s pump the brakes a little. There’s a lot of time between now and then. 

It’s possible that he could be the OD SS in ‘24 but he needs to have a great season this year in order to put himself in that position.