Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

10 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He will be in Bowie on the 30th when they begin their home stand and Aberdeen hits the road. Let the affiliates get as many Holliday home games as possible. 

Delmarva - Check

Aberdeen - Check

Bowie - 5/30

Futures Game - 7/8

Norfolk - 7/25

O’s - 9/1

MLB Playoffs - 10/3 - 11/4

You forgot 7/9, signed lifetime contract w/ the O's.  j/k not happening w/ this ownership group.

1 for 2 with two walks and he is batting almost .400 with an ops over 1.200 in the Sally league. All of this while starting there 0 for 7. This has to be his last week there, he is getting pitched around and tearing it up when they do pitch to him. 

20 minutes ago, sevastras said:

1 for 2 with two walks and he is batting almost .400 with an ops over 1.200 in the Sally league. All of this while starting there 0 for 7. This has to be his last week there, he is getting pitched around and tearing it up when they do pitch to him. 

I don’t think it has to be his last week there.  It won’t surprise me either way.  He’s got less than 100 PA in Aberdeen.  Hopefully he has another big week and keeps pressing the issue. 

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it has to be his last week there.  It won’t surprise me either way.  He’s got less than 100 PA in Aberdeen.  Hopefully he has another big week and keeps pressing the issue. 

If they are pitching around him and he’s not being challenged at all, there is no reason to keep in single A. 

Edited by Sports Guy

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they are pitching around him and he’s not being challenged at all, there is no reason to keep in single A. 

Believe it or not there is value in learning how handle being pitched around. Adam Jones never learned how to hit when being pitched around.

10 minutes ago, Mr-splash said:

Believe it or not there is value in learning how handle being pitched around. Adam Jones never learned how to hit when being pitched around.

When it comes to swing decisions and the ability to get on base, what do Adam Jones and Jackson Holliday have in common as prospects?

Holliday is getting on base over 50% of the time this year. That is Babe Ruth/Barry Bonds like (maybe even a bit better).

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is a lot more value in being challenged.

Agreed. In A+ right now, all Holliday can learn is how to take more walks... which surprise surprise... He's already very elite at that. When you are hitting almost .400 with an on base that is over .500, I would say that the competition is not really challenging you.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Is he being pitched around, or is he just a lot more disciplined than the average hitter?   And does that matter in how you are thinking?

My thinking is this: I’m just not that concerned with whether Holliday spends  10 weeks in AA this year, or 14.   Either way, he’s going to see plenty of AA pitching this summer.   And I doubt he’s going to AAA this summer no matter what he does in AA.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is he being pitched around, or is he just a lot more disciplined than the average hitter?   And does that matter in how you are thinking?

My thinking is this: I’m just not that concerned with whether Holliday spends  10 weeks in AA this year, or 14.   Either way, he’s going to see plenty of AA pitching this summer.   And I doubt he’s going to AAA this summer no matter what he does in AA.

It won’t really matter but i do have an issue keeping players at a level that isn’t challenging them.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It won’t really matter but i do have an issue keeping players at a level that isn’t challenging them

I do understand that, but the question is, how much time is sufficient to determine  a player isn’t really being challenged?  A week?  A month?  Two months?  Three?  It’s a matter of judgment, right?   Especially now when teams play the same opponent 6 games in a row.  You could have a run of playing poor-pitching teams for 3 weeks and not really being exposed to the better pitchers in the same league.  (By the way, I haven’t looked to see if that’s at all the case with  Holliday, I’m just making a point.). So, I’m comfortable with the O’s management using their judgment to determine when Holliday needs more of a challenge.  

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do understand that, but the question is, how much time is sufficient to determine  a player isn’t really being challenged?  A week?  A month?  Two months?  Three?  It’s a matter of judgment, right?   Especially now when teams play the same opponent 6 games in a row.  You could have a run of playing poor-pitching teams for 3 weeks and not really being exposed to the better pitchers in the same league.  (By the way, I haven’t looked to see if that’s at all the case with  Holliday, I’m just making a point.). So, I’m comfortable with the O’s management using their judgment to determine when Holliday needs more of a challenge.  

Exactly, they’ve earned the benefit of doubt from me. They’re also surely working with more data than we have access to as well first hand, daily knowledge on the human level.

@Sports Guy: No offense at all, I mean that sincerely, but they know more than you do.