Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

Agree with Moose, is brake-pumping even a thing anymore with ABS? I digress! lol

For Jackson to be OD starter in 2024 he would have to out-Gunnar, Mr. Henderson. Gunnar had the COVID year to physically develop and had time at the alt site to learn and polish his skills. Late season 2023 (like GH in 2022) is almost best case scenario. 

Edited by AnythingO's
typo

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Agree with Moose, is brake-pumping even a thing anymore with ABS? I digress! lol

For Jackson to be OD starter in 2023 he would have to out-Gunnar, Mr. Henderson. Gunnar had the COVID year to physically develop and had time at the alt site to learn and polish his skills. Late season 2023 (like GH in 2022) is almost best case scenario. 

It is 2023

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

11 PA so far this ST. 3BB 2SO. 1.045 OPS. Any takes on his defense?  I have not seen so far. 

I think there’s a very good chance he’s our OD SS next year. We need to start signing our guys to long term deals and not let service clock be an issue. We could hold him down through 6/1 like Adley and he still might finish top 3 ROY and get the extra service clock year taken off. 

It’s very exciting, but yea, also only 11 PA. I think there’s a shot he’ll be on the OD roster next year though. But I won’t hold my breath. 

Pivoting: Let’s say Ortiz comes up this year and is a legit ROY candidate playing GG level SS. What do we do?

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Pivoting: Let’s say Ortiz comes up this year and is a legit ROY candidate playing GG level SS. What do we do?

There's an accounting principle called "sunk cost" that says that past decisions should not be a factor in future decisions.  Each decision should be made on the merits moving forward.

A GG/ROY type of year would put a feather in Ortiz' cap and raise the bar for others to pass.  But that shouldn't lock him in as the SS if there's a better option.  The transition/conversation that's currently happening this year with Urias/Mateo/Gunnar gives a hint as to what that process might look like.  Gunnar's presence has raised the bar on the left side of the IF.  If Jackson wants SS, then the SigBot has to see him being above the Gunnar/Ortiz bar.  If that doesn't happen, then Ortiz sticks.  If it does, then Ortiz gets evaluated at other positions like 2B.

Other options include casting lots, Texas Hold'em, a Lego build off, or a COD 1v1.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:15 PM, CharmCityHokie said:

I feel like Frederick Bencosme is the starting SS at Aberdeen. Carter Young still has stuff to prove at Delmarva, he didn't exactly have the greatest showing in his debut. I know that Young is known for his defense, but I could see him moving around the infield if they think they bat isn't going to play (and I know SSS and all, but there are doubts about his bat).

Young may not have had a great debut, but because of his age and his defensive tools, I'm guessing he gets the nod as the priority play SS at Aberdeen until Holliday arrives. Bencosme has a long way to go defensively at SS and while he has the athleticism and tools, his throwing motion and inconsistencies suggest he might be a better fit at 2nd base long term. 

I do think Bencosme gets some SS and maybe still some 3B time, but they also may want to give him some looks in the outfield if his wild inconsistencies continue on the dirt.

Obviously Holliday will always be the main priority play SS at whatever level he plays at in the system.

• Upvote 1

A couple of thoughts…

It’s pretty cool that we’ve spent the last two offseasons with basically the consensus #1 prospect in all of MLB. Holliday is looking likely that could be a 3rd straight offseason. Also, maybe since we’ve had AR and Gunnar, Holliday isn’t getting the hype here that he usually would. 

Gunnar and Adley had defensive positional issues that allowed them to be more slow played. The O’s wanted Adley to grow as a pro catcher. Catchers just take longer. With Gunnar the O’s were rotating him in at 3B/SS. Holliday is different than those two. He’s locked in as a SS. So no need to hold his bat back for defensive development. 

Nobody is taking SS playing time away from Holliday in the minors. The Hernaiz trade frees up SS at Bowie on OD. That’s my Holliday OD prediction. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

A couple of thoughts…

It’s pretty cool that we’ve spent the last two offseasons with basically the consensus #1 prospect in all of MLB. Holliday is looking likely that could be a 3rd straight offseason. Also, maybe since we’ve had AR and Gunnar, Holliday isn’t getting the hype here that he usually would. 

Gunnar and Adley had defensive positional issues that allowed them to be more slow played. The O’s wanted Adley to grow as a pro catcher. Catchers just take longer. With Gunnar the O’s were rotating him in at 3B/SS. Holliday is different than those two. He’s locked in as a SS. So no need to hold his bat back for defensive development. 

Nobody is taking SS playing time away from Holliday in the minors. The Hernaiz trade frees up SS at Bowie on OD. That’s my Holliday OD prediction. 

I don't buy that for a second.

They didn't want to burn service time when the rest of the team wasn't up to snuff.

How soon can sign him to an extension? Joking, but if all continues to go like it looks like it is now, I’d think a pre-debut extension like Luis Robert took signed a few years ago may be on the table. Granted for substantially more money. 

8 minutes ago, joelala said:

How soon can sign him to an extension? Joking, but if all continues to go like it looks like it is now, I’d think a pre-debut extension like Luis Robert took signed a few years ago may be on the table. Granted for substantially more money. 

I think it’s almost impossible to get a guy like Holliday to take any significant discount in an extension.   He’s got $7 mm in the bank, and his dad made $160 mm playing baseball.   Not exactly financially insecure.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it’s almost impossible to get a guy like Holliday to take any significant discount in an extension.   He’s got $7 mm in the bank, and his dad made $160 mm playing baseball.   Not exactly financially insecure.  

I think your best bet would be to make his experience such that he wishes to stay.

• Upvote 3

Elias philosophically seems to like to start guys a little lower, to let them get off to good starts (and end them a little higher to give them a cup of coffee at the next level), add into that that Aberdeen is where offensive prospects went to die last year, in terms of their stats, and my guess is Holiday starts at Delmarva, but ends the year in Bowie. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...