Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

20 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

Not a big fan of Hollidays homer numbers in the minors against craptastic low level pitching. Hopefully he can develop some power.

I have only been on this board since last year though lurking a lot longer.

You my friend seem to have made a profile just very recently (maybe this week or last?). And you are craping on everything and everyone from the org. What gives?

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty to criticize. But Holiday ain’t it! He’s 19 and the youngest player on the team and probably the league.

Have you seen the OB, BA, athleticism and pedigree. He is going to be an absolute player! If he keeps doing what he’s doing, he doesn’t need to be a great home run hitter. But the power will come. What teenagers do you know of who came straight out of high school and went to the pros with prodigious power? Albert Pujous and who?? … I’ll wait.

Edited by Bemorewins
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Gurgi said:

Personally I wont be happy if Holliday does not develop into a 22-28 hr type of guy.   

I was curious to see what the guy complaining about it wants to guess.   I don’t see any reason why he won’t develop into a 20+ homer guy.   He has 8 hits and 5 are for extras.   That’s usually a good barometer that he’s going to have at least average power as he matures.

9 hours ago, Gurgi said:

Personally I wont be happy if Holliday does not develop into a 22-28 hr type of guy.   

Even if he is a .300+ hitter w a .400+ OBA?

I know we have been used to evaluating the game from the 3 true outcome lens the last 15 or so years. But to me it is clear, that baseball has decided to reintroduce different aspects of the game like speed/athleticism/stolen bases and more the skill of actually being able to hit (and not just try to beat the shift with power) w the elimination of the shift. There will be more and more room for guys who don’t just swing for the fences every time or try to take walks.

If Holiday turns into a Wade Boggs type hitter or a Derek Jeter profile player w better defense, I will take that and be more than happy!

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I know we have been used to evaluating the game from the 3 true outcome lens the last 15 or so years. But to me it is clear, that baseball has decided to reintroduce different aspects of the game like speed/athleticism/stolen bases and more the skill of actually being able to hit (and not just try to beat the shift with power) w the elimination of the shift. There will be more and more room for guys who don’t just swing for the fences every time or try to take walks.

If Holiday turns into a Wade Boggs type hitter or a Derek Jeter profile player w better defense, I will take that and be more than happy!

Yes if the prospect turns into a better version of a Hall of Fame player you will be happy.

Checks out.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes if the prospect turns into a better version of a Hall of Fame player you will be happy.

Checks out.

It was an exaggeration, and I’m not trying to set an unrealistic bar for the Hall of Fame for the kid. I meant it realistically more as a player comp/type/style of player. I should have said, if he hits for a high BA and he has elite OB skills like he appears to have the ability to do. And he plays good defense at short stop, but maybe not Gold Glove/great defense. That is fine by me. Sorry for the poor choice of wording in my previous post.

• Like 1

A strong MLB hitter whose shape of offensive production I could picture Holliday's in the good scenario resembling is Adley Rutschman.

Only 3 of his first 5 games in the field at SS with the Carter Young teammate.     I suppose tandem or piggyback shortstops can exist at that position as well as with SP prospects.

Bencosme hit cleanup at SS for Aberdeen last night.

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

A strong MLB hitter whose shape of offensive production I could picture Holliday's in the good scenario resembling is Adley Rutschman.

Only 3 of his first 5 games in the field at SS with the Carter Young teammate.     I suppose tandem or piggyback shortstops can exist at that position as well as with SP prospects.

Bencosme hit cleanup at SS for Aberdeen last night.

I was thinking Brian Roberts as a comp.  Just with less speed and more power.  But can see Jackson being a doubles machine too.  I can see the Adley comp in that vein.  It'll be interesting to see how they compare with OBP when/if the day comes.

Jackson played 2B the other day.  I didn't notice who played SS.

27 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I second your point.  22-28 homers is not a prerequisite to be a very good to great player.  If Holliday turned out to be a player who consistently puts up a good BA and a high OBP and good defense, I wouldn’t sweat the fact that he doesn’t hit a ton of homers.  It’s working pretty well for Trea Turner.  And in any event it’s way early to know what power Holliday will develop.  

41 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I'm very hesitant to pencil in some guy who has never faced anything better than low A pitching as the next Jeter and Boggs. So basically you're projecting his hit tool to be borderline 80? 

Yea, ok, good luck with that bro. Holliday is a decent prospect, but everything with him is projection. We will know more when he moves up a few levels. The pitching in low A ball is atrocious.