Jackson Holliday 2023

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, backdoorslider said:

I'm very hesitant to pencil in some guy who has never faced anything better than low A pitching as the next Jeter and Boggs. So basically you're projecting his hit tool to be borderline 80? 

Yea, ok, good luck with that bro. Holliday is a decent prospect, but everything with him is projection. We will know more when he moves up a few levels. The pitching in low A ball is atrocious.

Everyone's gotta face the pitchers in front of us and start somewhere.  Still a long way to go, but he's checking off quite a few boxes that have been sent his way.  Even the SSS ST with the big boys.

4 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Everyone's gotta face the pitchers in front of us and start somewhere.  Still a long way to go, but he's checking off quite a few boxes that have been sent his way.  Even the SSS ST with the big boys.

I'd say prime years of average to slightly above average defense, 20HRs per year and about. 290AVG are reasonable projections. 

Hes already quite muscular for a 19 year old kid. 20 more pounds and he will be musclebound at only 200 pounds which will no doubt hamper him defensiively. Hes not going to be a large man. He does not have the frame. 

To be honest, I am glad to see and hope for many more players like him to come along. And I am hopeful that the changes that MLB is making gets the game back to the game it was intended to be. 

Frankly, 3 true outcome baseball, with every player being consumed w launch angles, shifts, no element of speed or athleticism, or managerial strategy is boring to me. Sports (especially at the highest level) is best when there are a contrast of styles with a wide range of skills on display. NFL and NBA have become watered down because everyone plays the same and each org feels they can only win one way/with one style because of analytics.

I think baseball has a chance to get ahead of the curve in this manner. And give teams different approaches/possibilities to be successful. IMO this leads to more drama/excitement/flare. 

I don’t want to see Ted Williams trying to copy and play like Babe Ruth. Or Babe Ruth trying to copy and play like Willie Mays. Or Willie Mays trying to be like Lou Gehrig. Or Gehrig trying to be like Griffey. Or Griffey trying to be like Rickey Henderson. Let them all be themselves and be the best version of  who they can be!

Not that Jackson Holiday will ever be amongst the greats or even be a great MLBer. But I hope there is space in the game for him to be the best version of his unique self. And not have to change his game so that he can closer resemble what works for somebody else. 

Edited by Bemorewins
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

I'm very hesitant to pencil in some guy who has never faced anything better than low A pitching as the next Jeter and Boggs. So basically you're projecting his hit tool to be borderline 80? 

Yea, ok, good luck with that bro. Holliday is a decent prospect, but everything with him is projection. We will know more when he moves up a few levels. The pitching in low A ball is atrocious.

I previously stated that I errored in presenting Hall of Famers as a bar for his success. I was merely trying to use them as a type or style of player he can become.

Now, where I strongly disagree with you is where you stated that Holiday is merely a “decent prospect”. He was 1:1. And already at age 19 a borderline top 10 prospect in all of baseball. You don’t do those things by just being merely “decent”.

Kyle Stowers is a “decent” prospect. Jackson Holiday is projected to be a future Major League Allstar. The scouting consensus did not make those things up about him. The kid has major talent, from all accounts an incredible work ethic, and professional pedigree (which means he has seen a lot more and has the benefit of experiential knowledge that is not afforded to most 19 year olds, even ones who are top prospects.)

8 minutes ago, backdoorslider said:

I'd say prime years of average to slightly above average defense, 20HRs per year and about. 290AVG are reasonable projections. 

Hes already quite muscular for a 19 year old kid. 20 more pounds and he will be musclebound at only 200 pounds which will no doubt hamper him defensiively. Hes not going to be a large man. He does not have the frame. 

You previously said this thread was all projection and thereforeuseless and yet you now project him to be a very solidly above average SS in the Xander Boegarts mold or an all star second baseman. I like the latter take more than the former. 

He’s 19..still has growing/filling out to do and power is usually the last thing that comes.

Im expecting him to end up being a 15-20 homer guy..but he should hit a ton of doubles, hit for a high average and have an OBP of 380+. 

If he plays above average defense, that’s a 6+ WAR guy with MVP potential.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s 19..still has growing/filling out to do and power is usually the last thing that comes.

Im expecting him to end up being a 15-20 homer guy..but he should hit a ton of doubles, hit for a high average and have an OBP of 380+. 

There’s nothing to worry about with this kid. Look at Mullins. He’s not very big. I would look at his EV numbers and doubles as an indicator as future homers. The power will come. He was just in high school last year. 

I think Craig Biggio is a good comp. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

19 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I have only been on this board since last year though lurking a lot longer.

You my friend seem to have made a profile just very recently (maybe this week or last?). And you are craping on everything and everyone from the org. What gives?

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty to criticize. But Holiday ain’t it! He’s 19 and the youngest player on the team and probably the league.

Have you seen the OB, BA, athleticism and pedigree. He is going to be an absolute player! If he keeps doing what he’s doing, he doesn’t need to be a great home run hitter. But the power will come. What teenagers do you know of who came straight out of high school and went to the pros with prodigious power? Albert Pujous and who?? … I’ll wait.

Power is the last tool to develop as players grow into their man strength. Holliday's plate discipline and ability to spray the ball around at a young age are good indicators his hit tool will be very high. I'm not sure Holliday's power tool was ever considered plus-plus or anything anyways.

I’m thinking we should all take a breath and let the kid play for more than a week before forecasting how he’ll do over the next 20 years.   

Right now, in a ridiculously small sample size of 5 games, he’s showing more extra base power than he did in his ridiculously small 8 game sample in low A last year.  But this is like watching Election Night and drawing conclusions from the results after 3% of the precincts have been counted.  I’m just looking forward to following Holliday’s journey and seeing what he becomes.

• Upvote 3

On 4/13/2023 at 9:18 AM, Sports Guy said:

Sounds like Bo Bichette to me, with maybe (hopefully) better defense.  Sign me up for that.....

I saw Holiday for two games towards the start of spring training. I believe he will hit. He took better AB’s than most of our minor leaguers in double and triple A. I would even include some of our major league club as well. He looked small but that was standing next to Kjerstad which he seems to really hit it off with. My projection is a 70-75 contact bat with the rest of the tools being close to 55. His fielding is not sensational but gets the job done. With his drive and work ethic he could be a JJ Hardy type fielder. The AB’s against the Pirates and Braves were not low A pitching and he held his own in every one of them.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

I know it's still pretty early but I can't wait till he gets moved up to Aberdeen.  I want to see how he does at the level where it seems like everyone "struggles".  

Everyone seems to struggle at Aberdeen because homers seem to be at a premium there.  Holliday's game isn't HR driven right now, so I think he keeps this up.  I'm sticking with my theory that he only started in Delmarva's fans a few homestands to get out and see him.  It's just the Jackson Holliday tour.