2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's funny how on one hand he said there isn't an innings cap and that evidence doesn't support them and on the other hand they are trying to limit his innings.

Which is it?

It’s just semantics.   They are trying to avoid stress on the arm.  Pitching less can help that.  “Innings” aren’t  really quantifiable as it relates to “stressed throws”.   An inning with 20 low stress pitches is way different than and inning with 8 high stress pitches.  Therefore going off an arbitrary “innings” count doesn’t do anyone any good.  They are analyzing how many high torque pitches (outside of his avg torque per pitch) he is throwing on the year and trying to minimize those.  So, he’s on an innings limit….but he isn’t ;) 

• Haha 1

Just now, emmett16 said:

It’s just semantics.   They are trying to avoid stress on the arm.  Pitching less can help that.  “Innings” aren’t  really quantifiable as it relates to “stressed throws”.   An inning with 20 low stress pitches is way different than and inning with 8 high stress pitches.  Therefore going off an arbitrary “innings” count doesn’t do anyone any good.  They are analyzing how many high torque pitches (outside of his avg torque per pitch) he is throwing on the year and trying to minimize those.  So, he’s on an innings limit….but he isn’t ;) 

And I am 100% on board with limiting high stress innings.

But that isn't what's happening here.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I am 100% on board with limiting high stress innings.

But that isn't what's happening here.

It’s not just high stress innings, it’s high stress pitches.  They know how much force he’s exerting on his joints on every throw & they know how many on any given day are out of the normal range.   They are monitoring his chronic load and acute load and trying to keep him in his safe zone.  What he has done the last few days, weeks, months, and years all go into the calculus.  I think they’re done a pretty solid job of keeping pitchers healthy.  

41 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In that case don't say.

Don't tell me that you know there isn't an actual scientific reason to do something and then do it anyway.

It's just coach speak.  There is no quantifiable evidence that mentioning  no-no to a pitcher who has one going is a jinx.  Yet it's been a pretty firm tradition since the days of Casey Stengel...although in fairness Casey thought it was bunk.

5 hours ago, banks703 said:

Buddy, this is factually inaccurate on both players. There are a lot of folks who DO question whether or not Holliday will end up as a ML SS. It’s also been beat up all over this board. His being the current top prospect in baseball isn’t because of his defense at SS. Let’s be honest about that. And the org has already started moving him around the infield so it could be stated that they see him as a “we think he has a chance to stick at SS (but let’s start getting him reps at other positions just in case)”, right?

Cowser was drafted as a CF with every intention of him playing CF, getting player comps to Brandon Nimmo. If the org didn’t have a breakout from Cedric, Hays would have been roaming CF the last few years. The same will go for Cowser with Mullins in CF right now and with EBJ as the CF of the future. There were a lot of folks who didn’t like the Cowser pick at the time but there were not questions about whether he could stick in CF. He reached the ML in less than two years and probably could have been promoted earlier this year, in part because of his ability to play defense in the outfield.  

Just because Hays and Cowser aren’t as good as Mullins right now (maybe the best ball-hawk in baseball) doesn’t mean that Hays and Cowser aren’t ML level players at the position. There are lots of teams in baseball that would take either guy as their starting CF right now.

I’ll agree that Cowser probably does NOT play much CF for the O’s but that’s not because he can’t. It’s because of who is in the system. 

Lol..who doubts his ability to stay at SS?  No offense, your opinion doesn’t matter.

Show me consensus opinion that Cowser can stay at CF? I know Tony doesn’t feel he can. I know Law doesn’t feel he can. I know when he was drafted that Elias said he felt he could play CF. He may be able to play it but it is definitely not his future position because it won’t be hard to upgrade from him defensively.

You tried to make this the same as Holliday and that’s completely false. The situations and circumstances are completely different.

Edited by Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Is it too much to ask to get Henderson, Rutschman, Cowser and Westburg in the lineup all together at once.  

The latter 2 aren't hitting much right now, or in Cowser's case, at all. If Mullins wasn't hurt, we wouldn't be seeing him at all and I have to think Hays is a little banged up to not be in the lineup/OF.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Mountcastle DH against a RHP are you out of your ****ing mind 

Well clearly this is because Hays and Mullins are banged up. So Hyde chose to play Mountcastle over Westburg, basically. And you don't want to use Westburg at DH in case you need to move infielders around later in the game. There is literally no other option on the bench. 

Edited by interloper

23 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is Austin Hays banged up? He's not in the lineup tonight. Not really a fan of Mountcastle getting a start against RHP.

Definitely seems like they’re trying to get him some rest. He wasn’t in yesterdays lineup until revision two, after the Hicks late scratch.

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Is Austin Hays banged up? He's not in the lineup tonight. Not really a fan of Mountcastle getting a start against RHP.

It's worth noting that Hyde wasn't going to play Hays yesterday until someone reminded him that it was Austin Hays T-shirt day and he made a last minute change of the lineup with the guise that Hicks was sore or whatever. Because of that, I had a suspicion that Hays wasn't going to start tonight and that suspicion turns out to be true. 

I think he's recovered from his injury but that Hyde is trying to keep his workload light so he will be fresh for division rivals and the playoffs. That's my guess.