2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

Just now, gtman55 said:

No Rutschman again. Mateo starting. Head scratching.

Not head scratching to see Mateo starting vs a lefty, given his #s vs LH this year including his big hit Saturday vs McClanahan.   It's only head scratching if you choose to ignore those numbers.

Rutschman was due for a full day off, glad they didn't do it vs Tampa.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

No Rutschman again. Mateo starting. Head scratching.

I honestly like it. Prepare to see less of Adley as we get into August. We're asking a lot of the kid and his defense lately will tell you he's gassed. McCann has been a zero with the bat, but he put on an honest-to-god defensive and receiving clinic in his last start. 

If I were Hyde I would give Adley some homework, and that would be to talk to no one during the game and just watch McCann the entire time. Do nothing but study how he looks back there. Adley is capable of being that kind of catcher but he's really slipped in that department this season, IMO. I definitely expect him to improve next year, though, because he's Adley. 

Edited by interloper

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I honestly like it. Prepare to see less of Adley as we get into August. We're asking a lot of the kid and his defense lately will tell you he's gassed. McCann has been a zero with the bat, but he put on an honest-to-god defensive and receiving clinic in his last start. 

If I were Hyde I would give Adley some homework, and that would be to talk to no one during the game and just watch McCann the entire time. Do nothing but study how he looks back there. Adley is capable of being that kind of catcher but he's really slipped in that department this season, IMO. I definitely expect him to improve next year, though, because he's Adley. 

Yep, and if McCann has to start some games, it's best to do it vs LH pitchers.   Makes complete sense.

13 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Mateo is going to start against left handed pitchers.  Hyde has said he is going to try to rest Adley.  Nothing head scratching here.  

Sure it is.  On the days you rest Adley (which he certainly needs) you have a bad bat in the lineup in McCann.  On those days you shouldn't be starting another bad bat in Mateo.  Yes, I know he came through against against McCallahan and I also know his overall numbers against LHP is good.  HOWEVER, for the month of July, when he's been facing mostly lefties, he is hitting .167 with a .231 OBP and a .564 OPS.  That's terrible.  His numbers are inflated by the incredible beginning of the season he had, and they don't accurately reflect the way he's played over the past couple of months.  He shouldn't be starting against ANY pitcher at all, and especially not when we already have a below average bat in the lineup in McCann.  IF you feel you MUST start Mateo, don't do it on the same days when resting Adley.  

Now watch, McCann and Mateo will go off, and I'll come eat some crow again.  Happy to do so if it means the Orioles win!

I like seeing McCann in the lineup, I like seeing Westburg and Mountcastle in the Lineup. Overall, I like everything except seeing Mateo in the lineup squished with McCann. You're basically hoping to get lucky at that part of the lineup. And I have lost my confidence in Mateo's defense so he's going to have to prove himself before I start joining the sea of voices advocating for his departure from the roster. You can look a few pages back and see how I advocated for him against left handed pitchers, but if he's going to botch balls hit his way the way he's been doing, then he's not worth the play.

But otherwise, I like this lineup. I'm sure we will see Ryan O'hearn pinch hit at some point in the game, because he's just been too good to leave on the bench.

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

What is this even for?  Nothing at all wrong with this lineup. 

When you are starting two guys with a sub .560 OPS for the month of July in Mateo and .563 OPS for the year in McCann, that's sigh worthy.  One I can see, but both at the same time shouldn't happen.