2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

31 minutes ago, Pickles said:

Worked out ok for Eddie.

Eddie played all but 2 games in his rookie year. I don't remember if he played OD or not. As I am several sheets to the wind at the mo, I'm not sure if you are agreeing with C_O_C or not but too lazy to look it up. Apologies if I mis-interperted your comment.

2 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Eddie played all but 2 games in his rookie year. I don't remember if he played OD or not. As I am several sheets to the wind at the mo, I'm not sure if you are agreeing with C_O_C or not but too lazy to look it up. Apologies if I mis-interperted your comment.

Eddie was the DH his rookie year.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

We're not all about just development anymore.  We are trying to win and Urias is probably a better defensive 3B than Gunnar.

Gunnar missed one game with an injury.  In the other 6 games, he's played 3rd 3 times, SS once, and DH'd twice.   With Mateo hitting well, that's fine with me.   The fact is we have a 3Bman who is probably better defensively at 3B than Gunnar, and a shortstop who is probably better defensively at SS than Gunnar, even though Gunnar is probably pretty good at both positions.   Nice problem to have.   But Gunnar at DH might be the optimal offense/defense lineup combination a couple times a week.

Winning games is the objective, not developing Gunnar Henderson.  But Gunnar will play the field most days and that will be fine.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Winning games is the objective, not developing Gunnar Henderson.  But Gunnar will play the field most days and that will be fine.  

Sometimes in life it is necessary to have multiple goals.

I also doubt having Gunnar at DH and Santander in the field is the best strategy to win games.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Long term I would think winning games in October is the goal. Volpe is struggling hard right now, the Yankees are still running him out there. Even teams planning to make the play-offs have to let players struggle and develop at the ML level. 

And even short term, a lineup with Santander in RF shouldn't be the #1 choice for winning games

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

Today's INF is the best defensive INF. If that is the case, you can't play Gunnar without DHing him. If you DH Santander, you lose Gunnar.

Perhaps but defensively, over this season, Gunnar IMO won't be much of a drop off vs Urias. Then you get to weigh Stowers vs Santander in RF, probably a wash defensively. So Santander at DH becomes a judgement of Stowers vs Urias offensive production. With his damage to contact ratio, Stowers wins. To me , Urias is first man voted off the island owing to his high present value and our IF pipeline, not for any shortcoming on his part.