2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

I'm almost at the point this season where I am wondering if winning is worth it (this season).  If the O's were 5 games under .500 I think the narrative changes completely with what the goal of the season is.  Obviously someone in the organization (everyone speculates) is afraid to bring up and play prospects.  I am assuming the thought is the team has great chemistry so you don't mess with what is working. 

It has really become frustrating feeling as if we probably have 3 players right now that are in the minors that would make our lineup better.  It becomes more obvious by the day, unless trades happen or an injury, they aren't going to do anything different if they are winning.

29 minutes ago, turtlebowl said:

I'm almost at the point this season where I am wondering if winning is worth it (this season).  If the O's were 5 games under .500 I think the narrative changes completely with what the goal of the season is.  Obviously someone in the organization (everyone speculates) is afraid to bring up and play prospects.  I am assuming the thought is the team has great chemistry so you don't mess with what is working. 

It has really become frustrating feeling as if we probably have 3 players right now that are in the minors that would make our lineup better.  It becomes more obvious by the day, unless trades happen or an injury, they aren't going to do anything different if they are winning.

Out of curiosity who is the third ? Not disagreeing or agreeing or whatever.  Cowser, Westburg …

37 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Out of curiosity who is the third ? Not disagreeing or agreeing or whatever.  Cowser, Westburg …

I am guessing Grayson.  Or possibly Heston.  

Edit: I see he said lineup help.  Never mind on Grayson.   

Edited by murph

I'm to the point this season where I don't care if they call anyone else up or not. I know I should be excited about the record and a chance at seeing them in the playoffs, but it's disappointing seeing the reluctance to change up a bit. It's also a bit mind boggling how they have the record that they do. Anyhow, I'll enjoy it for what it is.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

SMFH

And this is a huge reason why I don't like or trust Hyde very much.   Yes we have a great record this year,  but I feel that's largely in spite of Hyde and not due to Hyde.  I just don't find him a very good manager,  and crap like this is part of it.  Ortiz can replicate the great defense more or less with at least a chance to do something with the bat.   Mateo is lost and is a lost cause imo.

Long time lurker.  First time poster but this really shakes me.  You have to play Ortiz and let him take his lumps.  He has proven himself at the AAA level.  We know exactly who Mateo and Frazier are.  They have shown us.  We should believe them.  It’s time to give Ortiz a shot NOW so that he can make the adjustments and be where he needs to be in October.  I have now lost faith in Hyde.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

And this is a huge reason why I don't like or trust Hyde very much.   Yes we have a great record this year,  but I feel that's largely in spite of Hyde and not due to Hyde.  I just don't find him a very good manager,  and crap like this is part of it.  Ortiz can replicate the great defense more or less with at least a chance to do something with the bat.   Mateo is lost and is a lost cause imo.

Elias is definitely involved in this.

17 minutes ago, Redfoot32 said:

Long time lurker.  First time poster but this really shakes me.  You have to play Ortiz and let him take his lumps.  He has proven himself at the AAA level.  We know exactly who Mateo and Frazier are.  They have shown us.  We should believe them.  It’s time to give Ortiz a shot NOW so that he can make the adjustments and be where he needs to be in October.  I have now lost faith in Hyde.

I don’t disagree with you, but Hyde can’t play the guys in Norfolk. He’s not gonna say I wish Elias would get Westburg and Ortiz up here so I don’t have to play Mateo every day. He’s gonna give his guys confidence they’re about to bust out of the slump. Also, it’s questionable how much say Hyde has on the lineups. 

7 minutes ago, waroriole said:

I don’t disagree with you, but Hyde can’t play the guys in Norfolk. He’s not gonna say I wish Elias would get Westburg and Ortiz up here so I don’t have to play Mateo every day. He’s gonna give his guys confidence they’re about to bust out of the slump. Also, it’s questionable how much say Hyde has on the lineups. 

For those calling for Mateo’s replacement by Ortiz, what do you think of the idea/possibility of moving Gunnar to SS for the rest of the season and Urias to 3B? I’m wondering if Urias would be able to produce more offensively than Ortiz (if he can’t be traded in a package for something valuable to add to the MLB roster)?

Perhaps the front office’s evaluation of Ortiz is different from their evaluation of Henderson and Rutschman and more like their evaluations of Stowers and Vavra.  This isn’t an arbitrary decision.  I don’t know the reason.  But they have one.  I can’t evaluate their process when I’m not sure what it is.

51 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Elias is definitely involved in this.

That's fair,  we don't know how much is dictated by Hyde versus Elias. That said Hyde certainly seems to buy into it from his answers,  though he could just be parroting the company line.   Whoever insists on keeping to play Mateo over Ortiz needs to reexamine their thinking. 

3 hours ago, turtlebowl said:

Look at what rookie hitters did to Cincy's season.  It's just been terrible.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Redfoot32 said:

I'm not sure Hyde has the power to bench Mateo.