2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

If/when O'Hearns and/or Hicks struggle they can be replaced by the younger players that you suggest. Until then it makes little sense to replace very productive players preemptively to proactively prevent possible future struggles to replace them with guys who have great potential but haven't proven anything at this level.

Now, I think it's a different story with Frazier and Mateo, especially Mateo who is giving us so little. They should be the guys who we are considering to replace right now, not Hicks and O'Hearns who have done very well.

And I agree with you on the ages of some of our AAA prospects, they are entering prime years, and at some point soon decisions need to be made. But since we've waited this long, I'm fine with waiting another 3/4 weeks. One/some may need to be traded and/or some will be brought up as others are moved out. 

The real issue for me is the pitching (both bullpen and starters). 

I'm fine with playing Hicks and O'Hearn for as long as they continue to hit as well as they have. I'm concerned that Elias/Hyde will continue to chase those numbers even after they aren't there anymore.

9 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Westburg starting at 2B.

1. Hayes (DH)
2. Rutschman (C)
3. Santander (1B)
4. Hicks (RF)
5. Urias (3B)
6. Mullins (CF)
7. Westburg (2B)
8. McKenna (LF)
9. Mateo (SS)

Pitcher: Cole Irvin 

Tonight's pitcher for the Reds is a southpaw Brandon Williamson in case anyone is wondering about the lineup looking different.

19 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Westburg starting at 2B.

1. Hayes (DH)
2. Rutschman (C)
3. Santander (1B)
4. Hicks (RF)
5. Urias (3B)
6. Mullins (CF)
7. Westburg (2B)
8. McKenna (LF)
9. Mateo (SS)

Pitcher: Cole Irvin 

Not bad when you can toss out 8 RH hitters vs a LH SP.  7 LH Hitters vs a RH SP.  8 if Lester plays.  We have a very versatile team at the moment.  Now lets go get some runs.  Irvin owes us a good start.  

15 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You just knew it was going to be some crazy kind of lineup. I hope that Westburg’s arrival doesn’t mean that we are now going to be platooning Gunnar.

Honestly, you would be hard-pressed to prove to me Mateo is a better option.  I know over the course of the season he is better vs. lefties, but he has been on the downswing while Gunnar has been on the up.

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not bad when you can toss out 8 RH hitters vs a LH SP.  7 LH Hitters vs a RH SP.  8 if Lester plays.  We have a very versatile team at the moment.  Now lets go get some runs.  Irvin owes us a good start.  

Lester is in Norfolk.

• Upvote 1

Happy to see him up, but this revolving door infield of guys alternating between SS, 3B and 2B has been hard to predict who is playing where on any given night. I wonder if it affects the players or messes with their heads, not knowing what infield position they'll play. I admire their flexibility and it's a good problem to have, I supposed, those kinds of options.