2023 Ongoing Lineup Thread

Ripken

I wonder if we are starting to see Mullins as a MOO guy as a regular thing on Gunnar days, or if this is just a nod to him getting back to the swing of things.

As Mullins tenure lasts through the time of probably Kjerstad, Mayo and Holliday all arriving, I think that might be a little bit more his 2024-2025 role.

Just now, banks703 said:

He’s average against RHP. He is no bueno against LHP. 

Honest question with no intention of being a jerk....and I love the use of the word "bueno" here, so I must use it as well.

How many players do we have that are bueno against LHP??  

And does the fact that he's beuno against LHP mean he shouldn't be here?  Would that apply to Henderson or Cowser if they are just as bueno?

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

Honest question with no intention of being a jerk....and I love the use of the word "bueno" here, so I must use it as well.

And does the fact that he's beuno against LHP mean he shouldn't be here?  Would that apply to Henderson or Cowser if they are just as bueno?

I’ve stated many times this year that the inability to hit LHP is a major Achilles heel for the O’s. 

The difference with him and the kids is that they have a chance to improve. ROH is an established product. A platoon of he and Mountcastle is a productive pairing. It just doesn’t make sense longer-term especially when it looks like Kjerstad is the future at first. 

Edited by banks703

59 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

The O’s have a .740 OPS vs. LHP, .731 vs. RHP.  O’Hearn has a ..498 career OPS vs. LHP.   That’s why Hyde has seen to it that he’s had only 7 PA vs. LHP this year.  I have no problem with O’Hearn being here or with the way he’s been used.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Then I guess you’ve made an incorrect statement many times.  

I am unable to look at the data right now but I would guess that the numbers against LHP that you posted are carried heavily by only a handful of hitters, Mountcastle and Hays being obvious guys. 

Remove those two players and I’m curious what the numbers show. 

8 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I am unable to look at the data right now but I would guess that the numbers against LHP that you posted are carried heavily by only a handful of hitters, Mountcastle and Hays being obvious guys. 

Remove those two players and I’m curious what the numbers show. 

Wrong again.   Almost all our RHB have good numbers vs LHP.  So does Mullins.  

1 hour ago, banks703 said:

He’s average against RHP. He is no bueno against LHP. 

Well he's been hitting the crap out of RHP this season, but yes somebody else can play 1B vs LHP.  Ideally Ryan Mountcastle, but the roster may not have room for two platoon 1B.

1 minute ago, banks703 said:

What do we consider to be “good” numbers?

Well, lesgue average vs. LHP is .731.  Mountcastle, Santander, Rutschman, Mullins, Hays, Hicks and even Mateo are all over .750, with the first 6 over .800.   McKenna is not awful at .717.   The ones who’ve struggled are Frazier, Henderson, Ortiz, Urias and McCann.  I’m leaving out the players with under 10 PA vs. LHP.

Just now, Frobby said:

Well, lesgue average vs. LHP is .731.  Mountcastle, Santander, Rutschman, Mullins, Hays, Hicks and even Mateo are all over .750, with the first 6 over .800.   McKenna is not awful at .717.   The ones who’ve struggled are Frazier, Henderson, Ortiz, Urias and McCann.  I’m leaving out the players with under 10 PA vs. LHP.

That’s interesting but I’m glad to be corrected.