Cesar Prieto 2023

Frobby

Heard a report that Cesar Prieto showed up to camp a lot thicker and stronger than last year.   Hopefully that translates to more power than he showed after his first few weeks at Aberdeen.  The hit tool’s pretty good.  

3 for 4 with a double in camp so far.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 2

• Frobby changed the title to Cesar Prieto 2023
On 2/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, Frobby said:

Heard a report that Cesar Prieto showed up to camp a lot thicker and stronger than last year.   Hopefully that translates to more power than he showed after his first few weeks at Aberdeen.  The hit tool’s pretty good.  

3 for 4 with a double in camp so far.  

From what I've read from third-party prospect evaluators, Prieto's arm is a little stretched at SS (and given the stable of guys ahead of him at the SS position) I'm glad to hear he's getting some more strength that will hopefully help with some more power which will play better at 2B, or I guess maybe in the COF as well. 

• 1 month later...

I haven't been watching the Bowie games as much but Prieto's numbers seem to be stable.  The sample size is 1/10th of 2022 but everything has improved enough to nearly double his wRC on Fangraphs.

Unless Westburg moves sooner than later, if he moves, the only other available slot I see Prieto filling is Greg Cullen's.  Prieto is no less a liability defensively than Cullen.  

I also think that Kjestad will soon be able to take Cameron's spot on the Tides.  Time to kick the 2015 1st rounder to the curb for the 2020 1st rounder.  Daz sure isn't his Daddy.

53 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

This kid has K'd all of FOUR TIMES (!) in 58 at bats so far this year. 

He's also only walked three times. 

I"m rooting for him but he looks like a utility IF with a questionable glove in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

Prieto had some amazingly low strikeout numbers in Cuba against mostly inferior pitching.    His numbers last year which were about 16% were good.   This year he’s been up to the plate 100 times and struck out just 5 times.    Close to amazing.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Prieto had some amazingly low strikeout numbers in Cuba against mostly inferior pitching.    His numbers last year which were about 16% were good.   This year he’s been up to the plate 100 times and struck out just 5 times.    Close to amazing.   

He's kind of my favorite guy to continue the Felix-Cano trilogy next year.      Adam Frazier and Terrin Vavra are just pale imitations of the real guy at the top of the curve in his profile.      Westburg, Ortiz and Norby all just so much trade bait.

Altuve had the good answer to MLB Arms are just going to knock the bat out of this guy's hands.     MLB Arms are probably just going to knock the bat out of this guy's hands.

I do believe kids growing up with Yuli Gurriel as Mike Trout maybe have better chance to bring rare contact skills to the game than the Coby Mayos of the world.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:32 PM, Just Regular said:

Westburg, Ortiz and Norby all just so much trade bait.

🤔 Sarcasm?

I have to say, I second what another poster said, that your posts are super interesting when one can decipher them, haha, I can't for the life of me decode the meaning of the last two paragraphs 🤣

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

🤔 Sarcasm?

I have to say, I second what another poster said, that your posts are super interesting when one can decipher them, haha, I can't for the life of me decode the meaning of the last two paragraphs 🤣

Little guys w/o pop don’t cut it at MLB (typically).  He’s gotta prove it but its possible.

Yuli is a contact artist.  Most kids here are taught to crank and yank.  International kids learn how to hit.  

@Just Regular how’d I do?

• Upvote 2