Cesar Prieto 2023

Frobby

10 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Happy 24th Birthday Cesar!!!! ♉💪

I keep thinking he is older since he came from Cuba but he is precisely league avg. age for AA

He does seem a bit older because of his Cuban background just because most of them are a bit older. 

Prieto has a nice hit tool, but I still have questions over the infield defense, arm strength (or lack there of), lack of game power and speed. 

He does remind a bit of Vavra, so I think getting some outfield time to make him versatile might be a good idea.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He does seem a bit older because of his Cuban background just because most of them are a bit older. 

Prieto has a nice hit tool, but I still have questions over the infield defense, arm strength (or lack there of), lack of game power and speed. 

He does remind a bit of Vavra, so I think getting some outfield time to make him versatile might be a good idea.

I haven’t seen him play in person yet, so only have seen his ABs.  D is tough to judge on MiLB.TV

Honestly, I had kind of written him off last year after seeing the lite hitting w/ little power and reading your reports on D & arm.

Ive been pleasantly surprised this year.  His ABs are phenomenal in the Vavra/Frazier mold and has been  a pest all year for AA pitchers.  

His story is crazy and  I have a soft spot for him.  I hope for his sake and for the orgs sake he continues in this upward projection 

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

My daily mental gymnastics is reading Just Regular's posts! :D

Haha, love the boards - the community is a truly great resource for diehard fans.

Where else in the world can you just refer to role players on 35 years ago Orioles and know many of the readers get it?

I do believe you'll get a good influx as these teams get really good, and basically consider it a known known later this year some newbie is going to have an early post how good Adam Frazier looks, or if we should trade for starting pitching :)

And to get back to thread topic, Prieto basically is Frazier, right?    Maybe next year he can do that job for the MLB minimum!     I guess Mike Elias could ask him to pick up catching...

44 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Haha, love the boards - the community is a truly great resource for diehard fans.

Where else in the world can you just refer to role players on 35 years ago Orioles and know many of the readers get it?

I do believe you'll get a good influx as these teams get really good, and basically consider it a known known later this year some newbie is going to have an early post how good Adam Frazier looks, or if we should trade for starting pitching :)

And to get back to thread topic, Prieto basically is Frazier, right?    Maybe next year he can do that job for the MLB minimum!     I guess Mike Elias could ask him to pick up catching...

Until this post I didn’t realize(or had cared to check) how short Prieto is.  He’s 5’9” vs. 5’10” Frazier.  

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I get a strong Hanser Alberto vibe from Prieto.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I get a strong Hanser Alberto vibe from Prieto.  

Some might think that's a good thing.  🤔

With the way that are system is lining up, it seems as if we'll always have 4 premium defenders/hitters for 3 spots.  So the need for a traditional UTIL guy is not there.  Hopefully he keeps hitting.  I was worried he hit a wall after being promoted last year.  Dariel Alvarez and Henry Urrutia both looked good until they got to AAA.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Some might think that's a good thing.  🤔

I meant it that way.  Alberto’s played part of 8 seasons in the majors, has 1435 PA, and has been worth 4.2 rWAR.   He’s made $6.6 mm playing baseball.  I’d be very happy with a career like that if I were Prieto.  Even so, I don’t see him carving out much of a role on the Orioles.  I think we will move him eventually.  

He is absolutely mashing Double A right now.  I guess he might be blocked at Norfolk by Norby, Westburg, and Ortiz, but he's hitting .387 and launched his 3rd HR today and looks like someone who should see a promotion...